© 2002-2022

Ministry > 99% > Reviews > SteveHNo96
Ministry - 99%

They can count to nine - 13%

SteveHNo96, May 25th, 2012

Sometimes a song is so absolutely absurd that you can't help but wonder if they felt obligated to make it as it was so perfunctory that you just shake your head and ask "Why did they make this?".

To be clear, I love Ministry as a band. Songs like "Stigmata" and "Jesus Built my Hotrod" are classic songs that I would listen to every day if I could. I also have no problem with the political message of this song. Even a staunch conservative can hear a song with a liberal message and still realize it's a great song. $ilverdollar's "CO2" is a great example of a song with a liberal agenda that's done right.

Where do I begin though for how this song fails? There are three major problems. One is the song is horribly repetitive. The guitar riff is very monotonous, the drums are almost indistinguishable, and the bass supports absolutely nothing.

The second part, and I'd dare say, the worst part is the singing. If you can actually count to eight, say the phrase "ninety-nine percenters" and "Hey!", then guess what? You have said over 80% of the lyrics of this hideous song. It's more repetitive and drone-like than "Bodies" for Christ's sake!

The third part is simply that this is Ministry. This is a band that defined industrial metal for an entire generation of people that expected Ministry to come back in 2012 with a vengeance. In a perfect world, Paul Barker would come back, erase every copy of this single and say "What the fuck was that?".

To be fair, Al Jourgenson is capable of singing well and writing great songs as found with songs like "Flashback", but "99%" is simply not one of those songs.

All in all, if there's one thing the 1% and the 99% should be able to agree on, it's that Ministry really dropped the ball on this one. Stay away from politics, it's just not what you're good at if this is the finished product you're going to put out.