12 minutes of pure insanity! - 87%

Xeogred, April 1st, 2008

Assalant, Oblivion Knight, and Militia, all these bands sound like they stem from the same exact tree hailing from Texas, I wouldn't be surprised if their connections went beyond vocalist Mike Soliz. Unfortunately, they all didn't make it very far (at all) but still graced us with some substantially incredible demo's. This stuff is so damn good I'm begging for some compilations or reissues! So what's the differences between the three? Oblivion Knight were on the more melodic epic side of things, while Assalant seems like an incredible example of power/thrash, and that leaves us with Militia ...

They are utterly metal! Completely over the top hitting insane speeds, blowing things up with riffs upon riffs exploding out of nowhere, launching unexpected shredding and solo's all over the place, it's just damn crazy and something you can't truly classify. It's speed/power/thrash/trad, in any order for you to choose! If you need a comparison, you could say they're like a more straightforward Watchtower. Mike Soliz does a fantastic job with the vocals on all three bands, though you're going to either totally love him or hate him here with Militia. He shrieks, shrieks, and holy shit shrieks! Some of these screams are completely insane and endless. Unlike say Toxik's Mike Sanders via their debut World Circus, Soliz manages to sound pretty gruff and aggressive with his shrieking (not to say Sanders is bad or anything, but maybe some will get what I'm trying to say. Soliz is just more powerful).

Every song is boundless with crazy speeds, multiple solo's, memorable choruses, and some unforgettable shrieks. I also have to highly commend the drum work on not just this but also on their other demo's and Assalant's release. These drummers definitely had a lot of skill and kept things intense and interesting while keeping up with the speeds, they go along with the rhythms perfectly. The bass also stands out a lot on this demo, it's pretty damn crunchy. Alas, this is a demo so a drastically aged sound and limited production is to be expected here. Even if I deluge myself into almost purely 80's metal, there are still productions and mixings that sometimes bother me. Regardless that's not really the case with this demo, or Assalant's and Oblivion Knight's material for that matter. If you can tolerate the limits, they're very listenable and extremely recommended. Give this demo a shot and while you're at it, check out Assalant and Oblivion Knight. I'll also recommend Militia's other demo's but overall this is probably their most unrestrained release. Pure metal.