Black Intensity - 89%

Homer_Nava, May 19th, 2013

I'll say it again, I’m surprised by the good response overseas for my zine because I’m getting stuff from far countries and I´m proud of that - maybe is not a large quantity of stuff, but I'm satisfied. This time a band from Australia sent their album, and I've known since years ago there´s a big scene right there and this time with this band there’s a good chance to confirm that with this amazing CD.

Mhorgl is a killer death metal band, rather a killer black/death metal band; what the hell caught my attention at first listening? That’s easy to answer and it is ladies and gentleman INTENSITY, this band executes an intense style because of their fast drum work and intense guitar riffing, the speed style never stops and I’ve got a fast release from start to finish. This is a killer Australian assault of black death metal inspired by bands such as Darkthrone (mainly), Gorgoroth, Bathory and (in my opinion) Vital Remains; the amazing and powerful music of this band deserves the best adjectives because of the very professional aspects of their music, the intensity is a lethal weapon if used correctly by any metal bands.

This CD Antinomian is their second full length and it is a perfect release, it is innovative and reminded me of some great masters of metal, Mhorgl reunites the best from big bands. This CD has enclosed at first a big quality sound and production, all about those details are professional. The velocity is present all along the CD, as I said, in drums and guitars; The drum player makes a killer work I was following his work and it is really impressive, fast and powerful; Guitars are really into the true death black metal, there’s only one guitar here, then the challenge for this man is higher, I won’t compare this guitar player with others, the guitar work is amazing, changing rhythms, tones and speed in order to offer an excellent work. Vocals are into black metal, strong and powerful; the bass player is helping a lot to enforce the style. I’m really satisfied with this CD, because the original songwriting and intense sound. Eight tracks of emotive music made with a feeling of evolution and deep obscure feelings.

There’s a Darkthrone tribute song and a Mr. Crowley’s Ozzy Osborune cover, very different from the original even so it is good. I don’t have any favorite song, the whole album is amazing, Mhorgl is a great band! As much professional as the music is the presentation of the CD, colored cover and booklet with lyrics which are anti religious topics, it is another good plus by Mhorgl.

Bedlam's latest crash test dummies - 85%

autothrall, March 3rd, 2011

Australia has produced an abnormally large amount of quality black metal in the last few years, and if Antinomian is an indicator, the scene there just got a whole lot stronger. I've not experienced their debut The Sacrificial Flame from 2007, but Mhorgl's sophomore is an effort ripe with ideas, a transfusion of traditional hyper black metal with threads of lavish discord that creates an epileptic atmosphere of harried chaos. Yet, despite the constant mile a second onslaught of fresh notation and brain bending, they aren't above breaking out into some slower or accessible sequence to hook any listener who might stray from their standard dialog. Antinomian is not quite so insane as something like Deathspell Omega's Paracletus or Gorguts Obscura, but it's certainly howling up the same margin of lunacy.

"Nocturnal Blasphemy" opens with terrifying blast work and crisp streams of frenzied picking, but it's not until the added melodies near the bridge that the Australians start to play their real hand, snaking you into a limbo of splintered surreality. Other tracks like "Kiss of Midnight" and "Subterranean Assault Beast" waste no time in introducing their victims to the dynamic shifts, the latter hurling some provocative, bad-ass grooves into its choppy, drum driven hysteria. There's also a cool, mid-paced black rocker called "Necrohatred (A Tribute to Darkthrone)", which doesn't necessary sound like the Norse band, but tones the rampage down just a fraction from its usual complexity. "Essence of Evil" taunts you with eerie pianos, fuzzy bass and clean notes before it hyperventilates you full of needle holes, and "The Paean of Hangatyr" and "Iron Clad Destruction" both connect to the memory through more traditional, incredibly memorable black metal guitar lines.

What truly takes one by surprise here is the cover of Ozzy's "Mr. Crowley", which is not played close to the hilt, but spazzified beyond belief into a mesmeric scatterbrained mindfuck that will leave your jaws agape. Perhaps Mhorgl is indulging themselves here a little, perhaps flexing their lack of sanity too boldly, but it is nevertheless a fascinating use of the source material and without the lyrics I would have absolutely no idea what it was originally. It fits in all too well to the band's wealth of kinetic excess, and cleverly rounds out the 37 minutes of bewilderment. A few more things to add. I have no idea how the word Mhorgl is pronounced. I would not listen to this album if I were taking any powerful medication. Lastly, I am terrified of a future in which music like this has become a control group for further abstraction. But sign me up for the test group.

-autothrall