© 2002-2017

One of DM's best tracks - 96%

BlackMetal213, April 16th, 2017

"All Nightmare Long" is one of the singles from Metallica's 2008 comeback album "Death Magnetic". Overall, this album tends to mix the band's 1980s brand of thrash metal and somewhat of a modern heavy metal sound. "All Nightmare Long" is one of the more aggressive tracks from the record, and really showcases how the band was/is still perfectly capable of writing great thrash metal.

The song begins with a bit of a dark sounding riff, almost foreboding as well. Such as the case with a good deal of Metallica tracks, notably on this album but also from plenty of their 80s tracks, the intro is quite long, almost reaching the two-minute mark. The song itself is around 8 minutes long so this really comes as no surprise. The song has its fair share of solos and really killer thrash riffs, with one of the greatest riffs Metallica has ever written following the first solo, then segueing into the second guitar solo.

Lars' drumming is standard at this point. It's full of galloping drum patterns found in both thrash and punk music, which has been a formulaic ingredient in Metallica's music prior to the self-titled album. I'm not gonna say Lars is at his best here because he certainly is not. But it gets the job done. Really, the only complaint I'd have about this song, as well as a lot of the tracks on "Death Magnetic" is James' voice. The production really doesn't help this case. His vocals are not mixed well and tend to be overbearing at times but really, it's a small detractor.

This is easily one of the greatest songs the band wrote since 1988 although "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct" has some tracks that definitely outdo this one. I'd stick by this being the best song from "Death Magnetic".

LUCK RUNS OUT-TAAAAAAAAH - 90%

caspian, June 8th, 2010

All Nightmare Long is the best song off the new Metallica by a long way and I wish they'd released this song first, as opposed to the first two tracks we had the pleasure of hearing (Cyanide shouldn't even exist.. why play it live first?). Whereas most of the album succeeds at a certain extent in bringing back "the old days" and all that shit, this song iny my not-very-humble-opinion is a genuine Metallica classic that can hang around with the best songs they've ever done.

It's in the long thrash style but perhaps a bit more fierce then anything of that ilk off Justice. Key changes, a really, really nice solo section complete with one of the best riffs Metallica (and thus by extention, everyone) has ever done, a very satisfying chorus, main riff and false ending. It's long but whatever, it's a really good song. By far the best song they've done since AJFA. Probably some of James's best lyrical content off the new release as well.

In my version the other songs are Blackened and Seek and Destroy. Competent enough live versions, I guess; James's fairly high current voice works fairly well other the first one, which will always be a favourite song of mine; meanwhile, S&D is a boring, pointless slog, always has been, always will be. Nothing new there.

Worth owning? Not really, but I'd say if you find it cheap and haven't heard the new album yet then you'd be well off giving it a listen. In general the new-y has it's dips and troughs, but it also has it's peaks. ANL is a really, really good song. It's that simple.

Postscript: I don't have the DVD version of this, but i'd definitely recommend youtubing the video. It's a bit of an unusual one for Metallica, no band footage, just a strange, old-horror inspired "documentary" that's good watching and fits the song nicely.