© 2002-2024

Mentality > Teonanacatl > Reviews > we hope you die
Mentality - Teonanacatl

Freak recommendation - 75%

we hope you die, June 10th, 2024

I can only assume that I was not the only one to be subject to this freak of the YouTube algorithm when it recommended this obscure anomaly of late 90s death metal. The Slovakian oddball known as Mentality released only one album, ‘Teonanacatl’ in 1998, fitting into that brief but vibrant pocket of activity within the genre after its initial early 90s peak but just prior to its ultimate decline by the new century.

The album pleases more in an academic sense than the raw enjoyment to be mined from coherent works. Perhaps too anomic for its own good, ‘Teonanacatl’ is stuffed with the detritus of early 90s extreme metal to the point of losing all coherence. But as a first draft of a kind of symphonic, technical grindcore (honestly the only serviceable term that comes to mind) it should be applauded for its sheer audacity if nothing else. Spiritually if not in pure musical terms we could see this as an inheritance of other fluke releases such as diSEMBOWELMENT’s ‘Transcendence into the Peripheral’ married to early Carbonized material.

That being said, the music tears itself apart in a way anticipating techdeath, something borne out by the bipolar vocal delivery of guttural and high end screeching. One Brano Kopas is credited as full time keyboardist, delivering a cornucopia of synth punches and orchestra hits that will sound almost kitsch to modern ears. That being said, one can’t help but appreciate the adoption of patches and techniques seemingly borrowed from mid-90s rave, something rarely seen in metal outside of explicitly industrial stylings. The fact that they take a genuine lead role and at times inform the direction of composition is in stark contrast to the likes of Louis Panzer who, despite blazing a trail in Nocturnus, was never quite up to delivering on the promise of progressively inclined keyboard driven metal.

There is an organic carelessness in Mentality’s willingness to reach for the bizarre. A natural avant-gardism that stands apart from modern contrivances. A clear respect for (and ability to give voice to) the arcane language of death metal riffing is offset by a willingness to explode conventional wisdom apart just to study the remains.

Originally published at Hate Meditations