© 2002-2020

Even more bang for your buck than before - 90%

androdion, October 14th, 2012

I do find myself experiencing weird metal scenes every now and then, and so it seems that lately my subconscious has been dragging me back into the Czech scene again and again. The entire country exudes a vibe of going against the flow and producing unnatural music that’s anything but normative. So many bands exist in this scene, whose only purpose is to indulge and revel in their own twisted sick minds and their most nightmarish ideas of what reality should be, that it’s hard not to want to be a part of it. There are bands of all shapes and colours and all forms and sizes, and so we’ve grown accustomed to expect something entirely different to sprout from this specific microcosm. Just be prepared to stay for a while once you manage to enter this realm because what lies within is much bigger than one would expect at first, and many times one gets lost amidst all the craziness.

While going around some of the bands of the scene I ended up giving some airplay to Melancholy Pessimism, a band that employs an approach that is as technical as experimentalist against their basic death/grind template. While this isn’t particularly new in the given time or place I find them to be one of the most unique entities to have emerged from that specific scene, and this sophomore effort represents a new and rearranged stepping stone in their sonic output’s evolution. Whereas their debut was a fairly experimental album that was still heavily rooted in old school death metal, this new coming three years later presents a very different template. For one the tracks have become shorter and more grindcore-oriented, while at the same time the drumming approach has also shifted into a more hectic delivery. The experimental elements are also much more prevalent now and they appear constantly instead of sparsely as before. All of this provides for a much busier and warped album, which also leaves behind the majority of the slower moments.

And you know, it only takes a couple of seconds to witness Black’s “Wonderful Life” mingled in with sounds of explosions, guns firing and airplanes doing bombing runs to really understand how demented the experimental side of the band really is. This is just the intro bit of the aptly titled “Paradox Life” that then devolves into a feast of brutish madness after the initial minute, with the frenetic drumming and rabid exchange between low growls and high-pitched shrieks perfectly transcribing a feeling of unadulterated anger. This is the longest song of the entire album and from then on it’s a vicious and brutal ride through a hellish inferno and an immense array of emotions. “Back To The Nature” mixes Suffocation-style slams and death/grind leanings with a more melodic guitar lead in the middle, while “Condemned To Die In Hell” has a clear NYHC vibe with its bouncing rhythm before it goes again into blasting territory. The constant tempo changes mixed with slamming breakdowns and crazy guitar leads make up for one of the best songs of the entire album. There’s also a use of shorter bursts of aggression with these small grinding songs that last around a minute and completely demolish everything, namely “Human Scum” and “Spiritual Discrepancy” or even “Nail To Head”.

When compared against its predecessor Inconsistent World manages to be more vicious and balanced between the use of aggression and melody. It seemingly interweaves brutal death metal slams with highly technical drumming sections, melodic guitar leads that show an almost neoclassical vibe with rabid grind passages and multiple vocal techniques. On top of that you have a lot of sampled sounds and completely disturbing elements thrown around into the melting pot. I mean, just listen to the intro to “Melancholy Pessimism” and the way the song’s initial riff follows its melody. Or the lunatic “The Grind Song” that is bound to get a smile on your face, and even more the closer “Brisket” which sounds like a family of gypsies singing some traditional song during a family gathering! There’s also a lot of amazing fret work to witness alongside the devastating storm of blast beats and tempo changes that the band presents, and “Negative Thoughts” or “Prison Of Society” provide for some of the best moments of that kind in this album. The later even features a jazzy moment that will again make you pinch yourself for a reality check. Seriously this album has it all and it does so in such overkill fashion that it actually works.

Overall this sophomore effort by Melancholy Pessimism is a very varied listening experience, much like the debut. But where it gains ground on its predecessor is in its ability to show an improved proficiency in mixing all the disparate and contrasting elements into a solid beverage that goes down the throat much more easily. Strangely enough by being more experimental and using more different elements it turns into a more accessible affair because they all flow so perfectly into each other. I do miss a bit of the neoclassical soloing but there is just so much to appreciate inside thirty-eight minutes of music that I can’t really complain myself. Inconsistent World is bound to make you headbang, mosh, grind, laugh and make funny facial expressions with much ease, and frankly to me it is one of the prime examples of what the expression “Czech madness” really means. This album is highly recommendable for anyone wanting something vastly different from your everyday death/grind and is definitely a milestone in the band’s career.