© 2002-2020

Completely underrated band - 93%

Noktorn, May 8th, 2009

Melancholy Pessimism is one of the most unfortunately underrated members of the Czech death/grind scene, and one of the most interesting as well. Far from the reaches of novelty-driven bands like !T.O.O.H.!, this band plays a much more consistent but still experimental style of death/grind that I fell in love with after hearing their fourth album, 'Global Terrorization', which I thought was one of the few Czech releases which could actually use MORE experimentation! This album, immediately previous to that one, answers my question of what the band would sound like with just a bit more emphasis on riffing and making the non-experimental parts more interesting: in short, fucking great.

The band's array of bizarre influences (ranging from hip-hop to swing) come out in full force here, much more prevalent than they would be on the following album 'Global Terrorization', and this is a great thing because Melancholy Pessimism is one of very few bands in this style who can incorporate such strange influences well into the body of the music. They're pitch-perfect on this release, with the strange experimentation fusing just perfectly with the ultra-brutal death/grind mayhem; even novelty tracks like 'Grind Hop Shit' sound like they're supposed to be on the release, as bizarre as they might be. You never get the impression that Melancholy Pessimism is weird for weirdness's sake; it's just a natural outgrowth of their style.

More importantly than that, though, is the fact that the actual death/grind is exponentially more interesting on this than on 'Global Terrorization'. Sawing though not quite technical tremolo riffs do strafing runs over some ridiculously fast drumming; the blast beat on 'One From Ways To The Hell' is one of the fastest straight blasts I've ever heard, rivaling Flo Mounier in pure speed. The varied vocal styles, ranging from death growl to scream to hardcore shout add yet another dimension of chaos to the music. The idea of controlled chaos in death metal is certainly an overused one, but Melancholy Pessimism absolutely embodies that ideal on 'Evil Planet'; the band has a tight rein on their compositions, but the songs still snap and gnash at their leashes whenever possible.

This is without a doubt some of the best death/grind I've heard from the Czech scene, and I highly recommend this (along with all other Melancholy Pessimism, really) to death/grind fans across the world. This is a band who hasn't gotten nearly the attention they deserve from the metal community, and 'Evil Planet' is the sort of album which should instantly change that. Highly recommended.