© 2002-2024

Megadeth - Rust in Peace

The Pinnacle of Technical Thrash - 100%

LePommeDeTerre, May 4th, 2024
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Capitol Records (Remixed, Remastered)

Megadeth is iconic. That statement needs no explanation to it. It's fair to say that the number 1 reason for such is albums like Rust in Peace. The album is a staple of metal, accessible to beginners, and the favorite of many veterans. Megadeth was the start to my journey into metal, and into music overall, so I do have a soft spot for them, but the excellency of this album cannot be understated. I started listening to Megadeth with the also incredible album "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" and I loved it, I was certain nothing could ever compare, and their next album, "So Far.. So Good... So What?" affirmed that belief. However, upon typing the the words "Rust In Peace" into YouTube's search bar, and clicking the first result, I was blown away. The opening riff to "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" was the first thing to shake my previous belief about Peace Sells to its very core. I paused whatever else I was doing, and simply put my full attention on the album, and I will never regret that decision. I adore this album, have since I first listened, and will until the end of my days.

Lets shift some focus to dissecting the opening track of this album, "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due". The opening riff, as referenced earlier with my experience, is unbelievably powerful. The tone and speed of it are enough to catch the attention of those with the most extreme ADHD. Immediately after, the drums kick in, making their presence known and blending so well with the guitar they create a symbiotic relationship of improvement with one another. Shortly after some repetitions of this killer riff and drumbeat, we move into another riff, on par of the quality of the previous, that simply blows the viewer away, while adding a 3rd component to the symbiosis occuring in this song. After the 3rd killer riff, the lyrics start, and all I can say is bravo Dave, bravo. The lyrics are well written, and are used as a medium for Dave to express his distaste and anger at religious wars, highlighted in the line "Killing for religion, something I don't understand". The vocal performance of these lyrics enhances them to an unbelievable extent, with a spiteful, and, dare I say, moderately misanthropic, delivery that flows perfectly with the lyrics, and is harmonious with the instruments. All of this is encased to an unbelievable first 2 minutes of a 6 and a half minute song. Dave continues the formula of adding new riffs and throws in some amazing solos throughout the song. One thing I'd like to highlight here is the usage of the harp, a complete curveball that fits incredibly well with the songs lyrics about the middle east and religious wars, mainly because of the religious connotations of the instrument. This song functions as a ecosystem of different riffs, solos, drum beats, and vocals that all work in elevating the other to a unbelievable degree. Despite the undisputed excellency of this song, it isn't even my favorite on the album.

The next track, Hangar 18, is my absolute favorite track on the album, and one of my favorite songs of all time. This songs opening is so unbelievably good at preparing the viewer for the pure, unadulterated excellency that is to come in the next few seconds. As the opening shifts in tone every few moments, for the first 30 seconds, it keeps you engaged, the up and down of guitar tone are strong and very effectively prepare you for whats to come. At about 30 seconds in the bridge to the central riff begins, adding in the same powerfully present drums seen on Holy Wars, and segwaying into one of, if not my favorite riff in music. The riff repeats, each time somehow seeming better than the last, and then, Dave's vocals kick in. The vocal feeling here is similar to the one in Holy Wars, although not as spiteful, but just as powerful and fitting for the song as the different style was to Holy Wars. The lyrics are telling the story of the allegedly mythical "Hangar 18" where the US government is said to store aliens and technology far beyond what the vast majority of civilians have access to. Here, Dave shows his clear distaste for the government, talking about "Computer banks to rule the world" implying their desire for world domination. To accompany that, he includes the scathing line "The military intelligence, Two words combined that can't make sense" bashing the US military. After the lyrics end, a significant portion of the song still remains, of which, Dave fills with solos beyond what any normal eardrum should be able to sustain without combusting from the unrelenting high quality, but, are so pleasing to hear, you don't mind the blood pouring out of your ears as you enjoy the solos. If Holy Wars was an ecosystem, this song is the amazon rainforest, with enough diversity in what is being played, each solo unique, each word delivered with a new level of spite and agression, its astounding, again, bravo Dave, bravo.

To account for the rest of the album, its just as amazing. The guitar is always the highlight in each track, with Tornado of Souls having an especially good guitar lining the entire song. The voals maintain consistent quality, with Dave's spiteful tone continuing to hold and feel appropriate for every single song, adding some extra aggressive delivery on "Take No Prisoners" and "Five Magics". The drums, while never the main focus, are always complimenting and working together with the guitar to create the most pleasing combination of sounds one can hear. If I had one wish of something that I could add to the album, it would be adding some more unique instruments, such as the harp on Holy Wars, into more songs. However, even without it, the album prevails. Even tracks that some may say is filler, like "Dawn Patrol" not even hitting the two minute mark, serve as a unique, somewhat acoustic, track to break up the feeling and keep you on your toes to ensure you can't say the album lacks diversity

To conclude, its no sudden revelation that Rust in Peace is amazing, it is highly regarded by the vast majority as one of the greatest thrash metal albums ever made, and to some the greatest metal album ever made period. I feel as though the thing that separates Rust in Peace from the rest is how relentless it is. It has been 34 years (at the time of writing) since its release, and it has maintained and fought for its reputation, and it can all be seen in the music. The riffs work on every song, and remain catchy, harmonious, and most of all, memorable. That is another key feature that is why this album is amazing, it leaves an impact, you remember it. The amount of times I have gotten a riff off of this album stuck in my head is countless. The album is also consistent, never feeling like there is a single track that breaks the flow of the musics quality. Simply, the album's music has established a reputation that has done little but improve more and more since release, and for good reason. This album is easily the pinnacle of technical thrash metal.

A absolutely stunning and glorious album - 100%

Traumawillalwayslinger, March 29th, 2024
Written based on this version: 1990, 12" vinyl, Capitol Records

Megadeth. A band that needs absolutely no introduction. Especially this album. If you’ve been into metal for any length of time. You most likely have heard a song or this album at least once. It’s inescapable. “Rust in Peace” is Megadeth’s magnum opus, an album I have distinct childhood memories. I’m a fan of Megadeth’s other albums. But I don’t know them as much or have a connection with them quite like the one I have with this album. This to me is a golden example of pure thrash metal. Combined with extremely heavy metal and perfectly crafted riffs and songwriting. This album is hailed as one of the best metal albums for a reason.

This album is a blend of classic thrash metal, technicality, and melodic hooks. Throughout this whole album, there is not one bit of music that sounds boring or overdone. Each second is glorious and keeps me engaged. Throwing you into a tornado of sweeping melodies, the lead/solo work especially being absolutely beautiful to listen to. This is the peak of everything Megadeth is capable of. There is genuinely not one song I can forget on here. There are a lot of thrash, speed, and heavy metal influences to be found here. Every moment of this album takes me back to when I was a kid and first heard this album. It gives me the same happy feeling and excitement every single time I hear this record.

Honing in on the guitars. Dave Mustaine and Marty Freedman are a god-like combination. Both are perfect examples of what an outstanding guitar player looks like. Their riffs are hooky and savage, while also throwing a lot of technical flare into the mix. And the goddamn solos and leads are so melodic, they’re so shredding, and are so fucking memorable. The guitar composition is nothing short of amazing. Each song has a unique hook or arrangement. One song can be fast and savage like “Take No Prisoners”, or one song can be slow and brooding for example a song like “Poison Was the Cure”. Which builds up slowly with a creepy bass line before perfectly transitioning into speed metal glory. It’s a perfect balance between Dave’s more thrashing and angry riffs with Marty’s more melodic and soaring leads.

That’s another thing this album excels in is songwriting and transitions. The music is always interesting and complex, as well as being hook-laden throughout the whole way. The creativity is maxed and gives the music so much ferocity. It throws you a curveball so many times and nothing feels overdone. This album sounds big, dark, and triumphant. It also has a bit of beauty to it at least for me. Especially in the more melodic and harmonic aspects of the music. And when you hear the squealing solos like in “Tornado of Souls” or in “Hangar 18”. This album contains overall perfection when it comes to musicianship, lyrics, and production. From start to finish it’s catchy, engaging, and hard-hitting.

The production is absolutely phenomenal and stunning. Everything sounds amazing. Not one single thing about the production is bad or mundane. It’s all fucking PERFECT. The guitars are fucking nasty and crisp, the bass is prominently displayed throughout each song, and the drums sound great as well. And it’s not overproduced as well. This album still sounds very nasty and powerful while also maintaining good production. Everyone sounds like they’re on the same page and that shines brightly on “Rust in Peace”

Lyrically it’s also very well written. This album hands down contains Dave Mustaine’s best lyrics. This album has some great storytelling and lyrics that are still somewhat relevant to this very day. From the more alien-like dystopian feel of “Hangar 18”, to the more angry and war-driven “Take No Prisoners” you get a wide variety of very good ideas being thrown around. Dealing with social problems, political conflicts, and sci-fi culture that revolves around aliens. It’s rebellious and once again so memorable. I can remember most of the lyrics by heart.

That also is backed up by Dave’s godly vocals. Nowadays especially live he doesn’t sound as good as he used to. But goddamn these days he sounds fantastic. His vocals are snarly, high-pitched, and so melodic. His vocal range isn’t extremely diverse, but it has enough of it to where it feels punchy and sounds good. He sounds extremely bitter and ready to lash out at the world here. I’ve always been a fan of Dave’s vocals on the early albums he did with Megadeth. Some sections here and there sound goofy I do agree, but it’s a fun kind of goofy. But here you don’t get goofiness, you get pure thrash mayhem.

The drums are just as strong as the instruments. Just like the guitars and bass this is top-tier thrash metal. The drums are extremely versatile and powerful. Filled with thrashy beats and crunchy double bass that’ll pound your skull into oblivion. There’s a lot of mid-paced music on here that makes way for some progressive-style songwriting. The bass work is also slightly jazzy with the drums as well. David Ellefson is a great bassist who plays so fucking well throughout this album.

Alright, I want to bring up my favorite song on this album. A song that’s been with me since childhood. That being “Holy Wars…The Punishment Due”. Right off the bat, it has one of the most memorable opening riffs ever. And from there, it begins thrashing around with a catchy rhythm and syncopation. It’s got a good flow to it as Dave Mustaine’s lead gets layered in particularly well. And from there he begins snarling out his vocals, an aspect which I always remember. Each lyric and vocal line I can remember almost instantly.

During the latter half of the song, you get a little clean guitar part. Before it transitions into the more slow and doomy portion of the song. The music takes a very bitter tone as the tempo changes. Slowly moving along to where you get to the absolutely perfect leads. The part where Dave says “Either way they die, they die”, which then transitions into a solo/lead from Marty always gives me chills. Overall this is one of thrash metals anthems.

This album is nothing short of perfection. It has a perfect mix and production, it sounds amazing and is perfectly balanced. It has a crisp blend of breakneck thrash with more progressive metal influences. There are so many hooky moments, and complex and memorable sections to be found here. Dave’s voice is the best it’ll ever be on here. This is the most iconic they’ll ever get with Lyrics and imagery as well. If you somehow haven’t heard this album. CHANGE IT NOW. Because this album is fucking flawless. A true classic in metal.

Chef's Kiss: Extraterrestrial Edition - 98%

autothrall, February 8th, 2024
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Capitol Records

When I often think of my favorite bands or albums, I notice a prevailing thread that runs through them; they've each created their own 'language' or musical voice that is entirely distinct and capable of being picked out from a lineup of peers. Sometimes this runs the course of their entire career, for example Voivod, a band that has maintained its unique, alien nature throughout numerous stylistic shifts, or others like Enslaved and Borknagar, who have kept their Viking philosophies through the black metal roots into more progressive or folk leanings. Other times it's down to a single record...for instance, Artillery's By Inheritance, with its charging, fraternal, melodic thrashing interchange which might have its DNA in the earlier records, but hasn't quite been replicated since, or Deathrow's brilliant Deception Ignored, totally standout even against the rest of their discography, a cautionary, clinical, consistent orchestra of technical thrash.

Rust in Peace is the point at which Megadeth mastered its own 'language'. Killing is My Business... was the equivalent of cave paintings, Peace Sells... started refining that onto written scrolls, but it was 1990 when the speed metal monks started transcribing it into a complete text, one as timeless as the Bible for any hesher in the congregation. I know several individuals who consider this the greatest metal album of all time, and while I might not go that far, it's difficult to pose an argument. 39 of its 41 minutes are total thrash perfection, taking all the techniques and ambition of its predecessors to new heights of riff quality, melody and musicianship. This is especially poignant as a contrast to So Far, So Good, So What!, an album that certainly had its moments, but felt misguided and transitional, where Rust in Peace moves in almost complete lockstep. Part of this is the roster quality, as Nick Menza and shred god Marty Friedman joined the ranks, creating what is even today considered the band's premiere lineup, along with the two Daves who have proven here that they are both incredible writers and players that rivaled anyone in the genre at this point.

The result: magnificence. Skip a rock across the heads of the rock radio-fed masses in your vicinity, and you'll strike quite a few people who know the epic "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" or the more accessible, Roswell tribute "Hangar 18", but Rust in Peace is an incredibly deep record with amazing hooks and interesting lyrical fare. The speed and precision of the licks are on a new plateau, but there's always a lot of melody and emotion, explosive and complex chorus sequences in tunes like "Tornado of Souls" or "Five Magics". Dave's vocals are at a career high, and he manages to balance off some of that sneering attitude ("Rust in Peace...Polaris") with a little vulnerability. While the thrashing edge of the material is fully fresh for its time, even so late in the trending niche as 1990 was, there's always a pretty direct lineage to the classic British heavy/speed metal like the breakout riff in "Poison Was the Cure" which reminds me of groups like Satan, just taken to a new level (for the time, anyway). Or the burning grooves in the verse to "Lucretia". Tradition tempered with progression, packed with new ideas, or stretching older ideas to their limits.

The playing is out of control, and yet entirely under control, with so many notes flying around in cuts like "Holy Wars..." or "Take No Prisoners" that you could get dizzy. And I did. Melodic and mean at the same time, I remember sitting in stunned silence trying to emulate as many of the riffs as I could back in my teens when I was only about 3-4 years into playing the guitar myself. It's no wonder that this became such a guitar hero album, worshiped in countless magazines. Add to this some of the best bass playing on any metal album in history, complementing the Mustaine/Friedman interchange with ease, and often standing ABOVE them, and Nick Menza's performance which was taut and flexible, but also knew not to try and challenge the incredible guitar work flying above it. Another point I'd make is that the leads here were far superior to the three albums before it, they were finally becoming the sorts of earworms that could match the rhythms and become a pleasure to listen to on their own. Production is also a highlight...Rust in Peace does not sound a day older to me now than when I first heard it. Clean, vivacious, youthful, but still anchored by a steady low-end that still thumps in my speakers.

Now it's not a popular opinion, but the one thing that holds this record back from perfection for me is "Dawn Patrol", a sort of spoken/whispered word piece over some fat bass lines and a beat. It's not that the band is goofing off, there's a serious message here, and Ellefson's bass is pretty good, but I just don't think it really goes anywhere, and seems rather abrupt and out of place. Whereas the amazing bass intro to "Poison Was the Cure" really offers a lot of payoff once the guitars arrive, this one doesn't, and I've often taken "Dawn Patrol" off my playlist in iTunes and gone straight from "Tornado of Souls" into the finale title track and then it all felt 100%. Again, there's nothing terribly wrong with it, but I think it would have been stronger as an intro for a full-length track, maybe on a later album. As it stands it's just a little bit of a scuff on the otherwise flawless paint-job that is Rust in Peace, their most iconic, and my favorite Megadeth album. The one that goes with me to the desert island, although I'd probably wait until the last minute before I bailed out Peace Sells.... You don't need me to tell you how fucking awesome this album is, it's the most fluent in a tongue which has been fairly muddled ever since.

-autothrall

Monumental Tech-Thrash - 100%

aidane154, August 6th, 2022
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Capitol Records

It's my 50th review, a milestone for me on this site, and I've also been feeling rather nostalgic lately. Thus, I have decided to review the album which convinced me to embrace metal as not just a hobby, but as a lifestyle. That album is none other than Megadeth's Rust in Peace. What can really be said about this one that hasn't already been said? Well, I don't really give a damn about that, it's time to praise the ever loving shit out of this classic.

Where to even start? Well, let's rewind back to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, Megadeth's other masterpiece. What's great about that one is the implementation of, at the time esoteric (for metal), quasi-jazz and punk aspects. They kept those traits subdued enough so that the speed/thrash metal still shined, and that's pretty much exactly what's happening with Rust in Peace as well; only this time, they've incorporated shred/tech ingredients. It's no surprise that after the introduction of speed metal symphonist Marty Friedman and soon-to-be thrash percussion icon Nick Menza, the music blossomed once more into something quite spectacular. So Far So Good... So What, if we all can be honest here for a second, frankly sucked a bit because of its rather shitty mix, hired cast of nobodies, and low amount of spectacular tracks. Basically all of those issues are entirely rectified on Rust in Peace. Every solo and riff is downright inspired, the production is extremely nice and quite crisp, and perhaps most importantly, Rust does maintain the dynamic feel of its predecessors, with several lower-key moments woven directly into the tracks so it all doesn't become too overwhelming.

The riffwork is obviously something to behold, after all, this is Mustaine in his prime. Aside from what is often expected of him, i.e. fast and good riffs, he ups the ante in pretty much every way you could imagine. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due, Rust's savagely technical opener, features several great syncopated, solo-like aspects in even just the opening rhythm guitar parts, and this standard is upheld throughout pretty much the entire album; think Metallica's And Justice For All, but faster and better. Aside from syncopation, legato, and other Mustainely techniques, this album features a surprising amount of melody, tempo shifts, time signature fuckery, and more. Lucretia, for example, is not exactly a thrash song, but it delivers those most recently mentioned aspects in spades. Its opening notes are wonderfully melodic, the verses are both bouncy and also shifty as hell, and Friedman's solo is simply mind-bending. I have a special love for this song, as I performed it at a recital, but I chose it because I already admired the shit out of it after just one listen.

It's not all fun and games, as there's certainly a hefty dose of aggression on display. The most savage cuts on here are Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, and Rust in Peace...Polaris. If you wanted Peace Sells-level savagery, these three are your best bets. As for technical ecstasy, that aspect can be found at its highest level in Holy Wars, Hangar 18, and Poison Was the Cure, the latter of which is pretty much what you'd get if you gave Metal Militia a hefty dose of crack cocaine. I could sit here and organize the tracklist even more, I could pick apart the truly scintillating solo on Tornado of Souls, I could tell you that Dawn Patrol is likely everyone's least favorite, but you surely already know all that. I also won't delve too much into Max Norman's Annihilator-esque, razor sharp production, nor the considerably profound lyricism here either. Rust in Peace is just so good the whole time, these things should be quite obvious to the ear; moreover, it's awesome enough that they didn't even need to include a cover song, it simply wasn't necessary.

In conclusion, everyone may already know that Rust in Peace is something special, but it bears repeating. This is on par with Peace Sells as Megadeth's best. Both feature one decent enough track amongst a sea of truly spectacular and magnificent metal. I can't begin to understate how blown open my mind was when I first heard this. Yeah the vocals aren't the best in thrash, and for some, they're even a dealbreaker. However, if you can't see the greatness behind that snarly singing voice, you're simply blind. This is some of the best metal music ever made, and to this day, it still fully enraptures me. Kinda sucks that they pretty much abandoned this winning tech-thrash hand to ride the groovy pop metal train for the next 10 or so years after this came out, but I chalk that up to a changing musical landscape and I also point a blaming finger at the success of Metallica's self-titled. At least we got the pretty great Youthanasia from that period. Anyway; to put it succinctly, I say Rust in Peace is a must-listen for every metalhead.

P.S. Do NOT buy that shitty 2004 remix, it's basically the George Lucas special edition of Rust in Peace. So many shockingly bad changes were made to it: 1990 version or bust.

The yardstick by which I tend to measure Megadeth albums - 91%

Agonymph, July 24th, 2022

With a very promising new Megadeth album on the horizon, I thought it would be interesting to have a look at the yardstick by which I tend to measure every other Megadeth album. At the time, ‘Rust In Peace’ was the album that finally delivered on the promise Dave Mustaine and his fellow musicians occasionally hinted at on their first three albums. While most of the material is still quite fast, the focus of the album is on clever songwriting, with a surprisingly large number of crunchy speed metal riffs as the means to that end. I still think it is the best Megadeth album to date.

Having said that, ‘Rust In Peace’ is not necessarily Megadeth’s most consistent release. That title would probably go to 2004’s comeback album ‘The System Has Failed’. ‘Rust In Peace’ just happens to have a few highlights that are such landmarks in heavy metal songwriting to this day that some of the lesser songs don’t quite manage to make the same impact. The likes of ‘Lucretia’ are a pleasant enough listen, but when measured against the tight, precise riffing and the accessible, yet surprisingly complex and mature songwriting of some of the other tracks, they do tend to fall a bit short.

One of those tracks that hog the spotlight, so to speak, is the monumental opener ‘Holy Wars…The Punishment Due’. Quite a daring move to open the album with what is arguably the most complex song. It starts out recognizable enough with an uptempo thrash riff until it is suddenly broken up by a short, almost Egyptian-sounding classical guitar interlude and the track spends quite some time moving through different atmospheres in mid-tempo territory. With that one and the somewhat more traditional-sounding ‘Hangar 18’ culminating in long, intense guitar solo trade-offs between Mustaine and (at the time) new kid Marty Friedman, the stage is set for an album full of incredible guitar work.

Friedman’s proper introduction comes in the surprisingly melodic ‘Tornado Of Souls’. There is a minute-long guitar solo with such a strong, almost narrative build-up that it is probably my favorite solo ever recorded. The rest of the song is incredible as well, though it could have been lifted into the stratosphere even more with a better singer than Mustaine, who is pushing the edge of his range here. Those who prefer Megadeth as a full-speed thrash metal band are served by ‘Poison Was The Cure’ and the incredible, annihilating ‘Take No Prisoners’. The deceptively complex ‘Five Magics’ needs some time to grow and ‘Rust In Peace…Polaris’ is nothing special, but a fun closer.

Some heavy metal from the eighties has aged about as well as a pack of butter in direct sunlight, but ‘Rust In Peace’ still sounds as fresh and inspired today. It is also the last album released before a combination of label pressure and commercial ambitions pushed Megadeth towards a bit of an identity crisis, though to Mustaine’s credit: even if he is forced to write an accessible rock album, he’ll try and make the best out of it he possibly can. Despite the band’s recent output mostly being very good – except, and I cannot emphasize this enough, ‘Super Collider’ – there is a reason why people keep comparing Megadeth albums to ‘Rust In Peace’. It has some of the best metal ever written.

As a small postscriptum: if you have not heard ‘Rust In Peace’ yet, make sure to listen to the 2004 remaster. With the bass and backing vocals being much more audible, it is truly the best way to experience the album.

Recommended tracks: ‘Tornado Of Souls’, ‘Holy Wars…The Punishment Due’, ‘Hangar 18’, ‘Take No Prisoners’

Originally written for my Kevy Metal weblog

Bending thrash metal's boundaries - 100%

AxlFuckingRose, November 28th, 2021

This album is very difficult to categorize. Personally, I would categorize this album as a prog metal record with thrash influences (and a dash of doom metal, but we'll get to that). This album really reinvented the wheel for thrash, though, and Megadeth solidified themselves as a top three thrash band, even as the genre was dying out. Perhaps, this album is part of why it died out, because it symbolized the apex of the genre, and all other bands had to find other styles to compete.

The album kicks off with one of the greatest thrash songs ever, "Holy Wars... the Punishment Due," and it doesn't even have a hook. Mustaine rants about the ideological consequences of religion and their culmination in war, but from the first ten seconds it's clear that the band sounds hungrier, more focused, and more creative than they had been in years. This is due in part to the band mostly kicking their serious drug habits, and also to the addition of lead guitarist Marty Friedman and drummer Nick Menza, who at the time were both at the top of their class in the metal world. Marty's melodic capabilities perfectly contrasted the heavy, crunching riffs from Dave, but also brought out the best in Dave's lead duties that shine through here, like on the back half of "Hangar 18" when the two guitarists trade solos.

This album is undoubtedly guitar driven, and the riffs here are simply brilliant. There isn't a dull riff in the bunch, and "Lucretia" and "Tornado of Souls" probably showcase the best main riffs on the album. They soar above Nick Menza's frenetic drumming, but they clearly are the focal point of the album. Dave's vocals sound pretty crisp here too, his nasally delivery is perfect for the dystopian message. This works well against the gang vocals on songs like "Take No Prisoners" and with the apocalyptic narrative that Dave paints in the lyricism of the title track. This album easily has the best lyrics of Dave's career, toeing the line between pretentiousness and insightfulness beautifully.

Dave Ellefson is another star of this album, his bass lines are consistently smooth and intricate, especially on the doom-laden interlude "Dawn Patrol." His bass pokes through on the aforementioned "Take No Prisoners" as well, and it's impressive that his bass is able to keep up with Mustaine's riffing. Mustaine writes some of his fastest riffs to date on this album, a good example is "Poison was the Cure." The riffs on this song rivals "Mechanix" in terms of speed, and the doom-inspired intro is perfectly juxtaposed to lull the listeners into a sleep. "Five Magics" similarly works in a break from the onslaught, and has a well-written hook and the most enthralling solo on the record as well, although the solo in "Tornado of Souls" certainly has a stake In the conversation.

This album sounds complete, polished, and perfectly meshes the sounds of thrash and the blooming prog-metal scene that would lead bands like Dream Theater to prosper. Megadeth does it with care and respect for the art they're creating, employing detailed and complex rhythms under well-crafted riffs that don't feel overdone. And what is perhaps the biggest draw of this album is that Dave pens some of his most thoughtful lyrics, from a societally-conscious perspective, that makes the futuristic guitar licks and the frenzied drums sound like they have a purpose. This is, without a doubt, the peak of thrash metal- that is, if it doesn't transcend fully into the prog metal world.

Take no shit - 100%

Demon Fang, October 23rd, 2021

The moment you hear that opening riff in “Holy Wars… The Punishment Due”, you know exactly what you’re in for. In short, Rust in Peace is a veritable assault of razor-sharp cyclonic riffing, soloing and just general shredding courtesy of the Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman tag-team. A legendary tag-team that soar higher than a hippy commune with the kind of guitar acrobatics that are still unmatched to this day. “Hangar 18” sees them trading blows with all kinds of insane soloing and leadwork, while “Rust in Peace… Polaris” busts out the hard-hitting riffs amidst a bopping composition. Of course, there’s the zero bullshit thrasher, “Take No Prisoners” that positively takes no shit with its mad thrashing riffs. “Tornado of Souls” is more like a tornado of riffs while “Poison was the Cure” is nothing short of speed metal insanity – and then there’s “Lucretia” contrasting that finely with a crunchier, more mid-paced riffset that’s just so goddamn catchy, it ought to be illegal. There’s just so much going on with just the riffs alone, that it becomes positively captivating just seeing where this Cirque de Soleil act will go next.

But there is more to Rust in Peace than that. Part of it is old mate Nick Menza’s percussion. There’s obviously the thumping beginning of “Rust in Peace”, but even just throughout the album, he adds so much kick and power to the songs through his overly peppy drumming. This serves to amplify the guitars excellently, giving that extra surge of power that they need to feel fully complete. Even then, he does know when to go for a more understated, almost sort of smooth jazzy approach during the album’s quieter moments like the beginning of “Five Magics” and all of “Dawn Patrol”. Another part is through Dave Ellefson’s bass galloping throughout. That frenzied picking in “Take No Prisoners”, the more downtrodden riff at the beginning of “Five Magics” and that ominous riff expertly kicking off the insanity that is “Poison was the Cure” definitely spring to mind in terms of adding that extra bit of spice to the album.

Not that any of that would matter, if not for the final thing – how it is all arranged. I mentioned “Lucretia” having a crunchier and catchier riffset, and it’s mainly through how they all come together to create this eminently memorable composition. But this applies across every song. Every single riff slots together ever so nicely to create a heavily melodic soundscape, creating these smooth grooves amidst highly technical riffing, all juxtaposed by a theatrical onslaught of solos. There’s just a certain magic to Rust in Peace to where everything comes together ever so tightly. Going from the opening number’s defiance of conventional time signatures, to the groovier thrash riff and dueling solo motif present in “Hangar 18”, to the moodier soundscape of “Five Magics”, to the one-two punch of “Take No Prisoners” and “Poison was the Cure”, to the infectious riff machines that are “Tornado of Souls” and “Rust in Peace”. Hell, “Dawn Patrol” – the fucking interlude song – is an absolute treat with Ellefson’s bass leading into a smooth bridge between “Tornado of Souls” and “Rust in Peace”! One could maybe argue that “Five Magics” and “Poison was the Cure” both take like ten years to get started, but the former retains a darker mood in its more down-tempo riffing and the latter’s simply easing you into the speed metal mayhem.

This is still thrash metal at its core – amidst the showmanship and overall techniques at display, there’s still that marriage of hardcore punk and the NWOBHM in the average riffs being played and how the songs are put together at the basic level. But by 1990, straight up thrash metal felt played out and everybody wanted to play music that was either heavier or more technical – and then there’s the matter of And Justice for All a couple of years prior just showing how high this formula could soar with a bigger, more progressive composition. Megadeth took this to mean that they should double down on what worked on Peace Sells and do And Justice for All in their own way, which has resulted in Rust in Peace being in the higher echelon of metal albums ever made. Many bands have tried to take its crown, but Rust in Peace still reigns supreme.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - 100%

Orbitball, July 27th, 2021
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Capitol Records

Probably my favorite Megadeth release to date. It's just melodic as all hell! That's what drove me to like this album! Dave sounds great, too! Especially on "Holy Wars..." and "Hanger 18." Megadeth has been such a huge influence in the metal community since they came about after Megadeth's great Dave Mustaine was fired from Metallica. They've been more consistent than that legendary band staying within the thrash/heavy metal roots. They never sold out, they always came back to write more great music but on 'Rust In Peace', the riffs were top notch, ABSOLUTELY!

Both Dave and Marty rip on the lead department! And the riffs are God-like. "Holy Wars..." probably my favorite song from the entire album. It's just so original and fresh. The intro to "Hanger 18" is killer too. But the whole album displays areas of amazing creativity by Dave mostly. I can't believe that Dave considers himself as a "failure" because of getting fired from Metallica. He's way better than he gives himself credit for especially for albums such as this and 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?' Amongst the countless other classics that Megadeth has contributed to the metal community!

The production was decent though it could've been a little better. But still, the album is ingenious! They deserve all the press that they get for this one and many others. Megedeth always came up with fresh riffs and on this one you'll hear what I'm talking about. These guys rip it up Nick and Dave Ellefson sounded great as well. Nick's passing at 51 was just way too young! And Dave now is out of the band permanently. What a waste. But his time with Megadeth was grand. New material is going to be out now too, but to reflect on this, Megadeth was at their primordial best and most creative. Other bands have duplicated riffs from them.

I had the cassette of this that's how old it is! But it's still a countless classic! They stayed great in the 80's and 90's but I kind of took a break from them in the later 90's and more recent albums. I kind of lost interest and wanted to focus only on the classics. Definitely a band that will never be able to duplicate. Only emulate. A lot of bands cover Megadeth songs and for a good reason: they AWESOME! I'm sure newbies to the metal scene need to get introduced to this album and other Megadeth albums that I mentioned. They're priceless! 'Rust In Peace' will go down as my favorite release of theirs ever!

Holy Woes - 68%

Annable Courts, July 11th, 2021

The name: Megadeth. Iconic pun-oriented satirical album titles like 'Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?', 'So Far, So Good... So What!' or 'Rust in Peace'. A lineup including lead guitar virtuoso Marty Friedman. Technically proficient thrash metal music that prides itself on being true and authentic, not pandering to the mainstream and vociferously against the conforming system. The perfect metal formula, right ?

First and foremost, 'Rust in Peace' is an instrumental-centered piece (although not quite a piece of rust), demonstrating stellar musicianship with its wild 16th note shredded riffs, progressive structured fret work like blues instrumentalists on steroids, dynamic chord changes with occasional detailed open string picking, oddly angled rhythm patterns and unorthodox lead developments exploring various scales, wide theatrical solo sections, amidst the more characteristic jack-knife quick thrashy riff assaults and roaring power chord stomps.

'Holy Wars' or 'Hangar 18' are among the most recognizable old school thrash anthems, with the first's now legendary mid-section of power chords blended with the resonating open string plucks, and the latter showcasing Mustaine's trademark 4-chord chromatic progression in all its glory. The tracks exhibit a wealth of moods and musical colors (at least early on the record) ranging from the more obvious pentatonic blues impishness to rarer ambiances for the style, with a bit of occasional grief, euphoric energy ('Lucretia') and darker tainted moments ('Five Magics').

While the album is certainly impressive from a pure musicianship standpoint and with its rather adventurous undertaking; with certain tracks being instantly recognizable and unique; a hefty chunk of this does end up sounding like straightforward blues metal with Mustaine's plaintive high-pitched whines on top. His spoken voice "performance" on 'Dawn Patrol' and attempt at a pompous English accent doesn't exactly help, his meaner lows on 'Holy Wars' ("No more mistakes !") rather difficult to take seriously, dropping the section's credibility some. Is the "punishment due" having to sit through Mustaine's botched singing for 40min ? I guess so. A trying task, to be sure. An unquestionable prerequisite to enjoy this album is having an unconditional love for the sound of constant blues metal; not even so much thrash as full fledged, outright blues metal; and having an unbending tolerance for wailing hardly-believable vocals that border on full cheesiness quite frankly.

For the outsider who doesn't swear by this band, the album is really interesting only so long as it manages to step outside its strongly blues-tinted thrash comfort zone, which it is able to do on about 3 tracks in parts, give or take. The rest of the way, it's really just Mustaine's angry middle-class lectures about injustices in the world and overly high-strung distortion blues, and Friedman's leads and the overall impressive fret work don't give the album any more depth or meaning ultimately. Great metal means the music has to feel deep on some level, emotionally powerful and climactic. Even Metallica's 'Black Album', blamed for its superficiality, had a track like the immersive 'The Unforgiven'. Except for a few select moments, this album here generally comes across as casual in feel and too often lacks the epic edge of great metal albums, thrash or otherwise.

In Rust We Trust - 100%

frauds, March 23rd, 2021
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Capitol Records

Just to preface, thrash metal is my favorite sub-genre of the greater metal sphere, and perhaps my favorite genre of music as a whole. I've spent countless hours listening to Metallica, Slayer, Artillery, Flotsam & Jetsam, Demolition Hammer, Voivod, Razor...the list goes on and on. However, of all the thrash albums I've listened to in my life, there are none that have captured (and held onto) my attention so completely as Megadeth's Rust in Peace.

Rust in Peace was the first album Megadeth recorded with their all-star lineup of Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson, Marty Friedman, and Nick Menza. While the two Daves are mainstays of the band's cast, Megadeth changes drummers and guitarists more often than I hit the snooze button on my morning alarm. This time around, however, they had struck gold. Menza's masterful control of the kit combined with Friedman's exotic and eclectic shredding led to a truly unique sound for the group, one which I have yet to hear come out of any other group at that time.

Something that will stand out very quickly as you listen to this album is that this is a heavily progressive, technical record. As the 80's progressed into the late 80's and the 90's, the thrash scene was slowly transitioning to a more technically proficient, melodic, and sonically progressive genre. Look no further than albums such as Voivod's Dimension Hatröss, Forbidden's Twisted Into Form, and Watchtower's Control and Resistance for examples of this stylistic shift. On Rust in Peace, Megadeth incorporate a vast array of different styles and sounds, from the blistering yet intricate riffs of "Poison was the Cure" to the complex, ever-changing progressions of "Five Magics".

This progressive approach is enhanced even further by Friedman's unique guitar tone, filled with so much emotion and expressiveness that's almost unheard of in the genre. In order to best understand what I mean by this, listen to the song "Lucretia", where Marty's guitar sounds almost sorrowful, as if it were weeping as the chords were being played. Don't let this fool you, though - at the end of the day, this is still a thrash album through and through. "Take No Prisoners" is filled with the oppressive, no-holds-barred aggression that defines the genre, while "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" is in very serious contention for the single greatest thrash song ever written, so perfect a track that the 6:32 runtime will leave you enraptured for every single second.

I would of course be remiss to not mention perhaps the most widely acclaimed element of the album - the guitar solos. Here's an experiment for you to try out - go onto YouTube and look up "best thrash solos", "best metal solos", "best guitar solos", anything like that. I guarantee you that, at the very least, there will be 1 song from Rust in Peace on there. In fact, that song will likely place high on that list. There might even be multiple solos from this album. Rust in Peace is truly a gift that keeps on giving: you have the unrelenting intensity of "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due", the back-and-forth dueling of "Hangar 18", the explosive finale of "Five Magics", and of course, "Tornado of Souls". There's a reason people have been quoted as saying "the Tornado of Souls guitar solo is better than sex". If you haven't heard it yet, I'd be really curious to know what type of rock you live under.

I've been mainly talking (or writing, I guess) about the lead/rhythm guitars so far, but there's more to an album than that. As I mentioned earlier in this review, Nick Menza is a force to be reckoned with on the drums. The booming intro of "Rust in Peace...Polaris" is where he can be heard most prominently, but he kills it on every single track. Go look up the isolated drum tracks for this album - the percussion on this album is so unbelievably dynamic, and it provides a brilliant foundation for the rest of the band. Additionally, Ellefson's bass chops on display here are equally impressive. Not content with simply mimicking what Mustaine and Friedman are doing, Ellefson utilizes the bass to expertly round out the sound throughout the album. There are even some moments where this lower-end is on full display, such as the satisfying tapping section in "Take No Prisoners", as well as the entire runtime of the dark and brooding "Dawn Patrol".

I've waxed poetic about this album for long enough. As you can probably guess, I honestly have nothing bad to say about this album. Like, at all. The production is rock-solid, and everything is perfectly refined (provided you're not listening to the 2004 remix/remaster). One common complaint levied against Rust in Peace is Mustaine's vocals, but I find them to be a perfect fit. They're not the most aggressive, nor are they the most technically proficient - however, they suit the tone of the record very well, and I wouldn't change it at all.

This is the best thrash metal album I've heard in my entire life. Some have come close. Many more pale in comparison. I've tried my best to describe everything I love about this masterpiece, but I still feel that I lack the words to accurately describe how much I worship Rust in Peace. Every time I listen to it, it feels just as fresh and exciting as when I first heard it. A truly timeless classic that will continue to exert its dominance over all who dare attempt to oppose it.

Easiest 100% I will ever give in my life.

-frauds

The Arsenal of Megadeth - 96%

Star_Fox, January 14th, 2021

Even though Peace Sells and Killing is My Business are my new found favourites, I think that Rust in Peace is probably their most accomplished album. Now, other's may argue differently; some might even say that Countdown to Extinction is the best, based on its commercial success. However, the mid-tempo approach to that album isn't as much fun as this one; this one comes closest to perfection.

The musicianship from Mustaine, Ellefson and then new members, Nick Menza and Marty Freidman, is of a very high standard. This album has a lot of good riffs, inventive time-signatures, exciting and much anticipated song finales. There are plenty of excellent guitar solos – especially in the trade-off department. All of this is based on Mustaine's attitude, aggression and his high quality songwriting. His songs cover different themes, with the main one being warfare – then there's the dark arts, drug addiction, failed relationships and government conspiracy. It's a really great combination.

Mustaine's lead work on 'Holy Wars' is fast and aggressive; Friedman delivers the more nuanced touches, with an acoustic bridge which matches the songs motif. In general, Mustaine adds these nuanced melodic and harmonic qualities at just the right moments – and that, combined with his distinctive snarling, creates the perfect blend of speed, melody and aggression. Then there's 'Hanger 18' and 'Tornado of Souls,' which have great riffs and some amazing solo work. They deliver those 'classic' guitar trade-offs and the latter song demonstrates Friedman's solo ability – it's a monster of a solo!

I prefer deep cuts like 'Poison Was the Cure,' 'Take No Prisoners' and 'Rust in Peace... Polaris,' though. There's a good use of bass as a focal point at the right times – most notably on 'Poison Was the Cure,' which builds from the bass, then goes into some really funky Killing Is My Business style riffing. 'Take No Prisoners,' with its lethal riffing, has one of many great lines: 'Goin' to war, give 'em hell – d-day, next stop Normandy!' All of these songs are unique, but there's still a conceptual unity. They're all war/military related, directly or indirectly; even those about drug-abuse or failed relationships are war-like, metaphorically.

This is a unique recording and what is obvious is that it took all four musicians to create it. Menza was the glue, linking all of the transitions; his drum chops and the way he accented was key to the flow of each song. That's become more evident listening to them without him, although I will say, Jimmy DeGrasso did them justice in his short tenure. This is the pinnacle of Mustaine's musical career – this is his Arsenal of Megadeth!

WELCOME TO OUR FORTRESS TALL - 100%

Xyrth, September 25th, 2020
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Capitol Records (Remixed, Remastered)

Just like the USSR, that evil commie's nest, thrash metal still managed to make it alive past the 80s into the new decade, though we know that wouldn't last much for either of them. But contrasting with the then decaying Soviet Union, many of the infamous riff-centered metal genre's greatest glories arrived precisely in 1990. Without a doubt in my mind, Megadeth's monumental Rust in Peace easily sits atop that stellar list, ahead of other colossal works like Kreator's Coma of Souls, Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death, Annihilator's Never, Neverland, Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss and Anthrax's Persistence of Time, among others. In fact, this is probably the best year for the so-called Big Four's output in overall quality, even without 'tallica's participation, though there was never a year in which the four managed to deliver top-shelf albums at the same time, '86 being second close, and 1988 third since all four released material, but fell short due to Megadeth's own massive letdown, So Far, So Good… So What?.

But speaking about Metallica, MegaDave's dream of catching up their former, now worldwide famous metal mates, was finally achieved with this tremendous chef-d'oeuvre. His band already surpassed the Four Horsemen in overall speed and virtuosity, as that has been his main goal when forming Megadeth, but Rust in Peace was much, much more than just a vindictive statement of revenge and superiority. This was the distilled maximum quality product of all the tech thrash mastery of the late 80s, taking all the right cues from peers like Coroner, Voivod, Mekong Delta, Target, Deathrow and others and turning them up to 11. All the musical possibilities and potential of the thrash metal genre where achieved here; dexterous technical intricacies anchored by phenomenal guitar riffs and a mind-blowing spot on rhythmic section, catchy and memorable songwriting with intelligent, thinking man's metal lyrics that didn’t end up being neither too preachy nor banal and suckled avidly both the breast of real politics and international social issues, and the sweet tit of sci-fi and fantasy, delivered by a vocalist who, even though was an acquired taste for some, undoubtedly brought forth a strong, unique presence to the scene.

All nine track here are just tip-top tech thrash metal for the ages, and no matter how many times you listen to them, they never fail to impress and make your cervical vertebrae movements go nuclear. Signature 'Deth opening tune (and their usual closer, live), “Holy Wars… The Punishment Due” is like taking a track from Master of Puppets, adding an even superior production, while speeding it up and making it even more explosive and complex, without taking away the instant memorability and catchiness of it. This was one of the first Megadeth tunes I ever listened to, while watching the video on MTV. The images of this tall and lean, curly blond dude ripping the axe like a possessed maniac during the final guitar solo would forever be etched into my brain. And so is the Arabesque classic guitar interlude by another six-string virtuoso, the recently recruited Marty Friedman, right when “Holy Wars” gives way to “The Punishment Due”. And the other David on the band, Mr. Ellefson, was finally given a suitable compliment in Nick Menza to form one of the greatest rhythmic sections in all of thrash metal. Menza and Friedman finally gave Megadeth a solid lineup in which the four instrumental powers combined for a perfect metallurgy, as both demonstrated instant chemistry with Mustaine.

There are so many outstanding moments here, Menza and Ellefson splashing tasty proggy stop-and-go moments when they're not razing everything along their path with the guitars, while Mustaine and Friedman just put your ears on fire 100% of the time, from the mid-paced rhythmic elegance of Roswellian “Hangar 18” and its closing, delightful solo trade-off section, to the scorching, mandatory headbang-inducing final moments of “Polaris”. I will not delve into further song description, as words simply fail to express what a godly guitar solo like the one on “Tornado of Souls” can do to a human soul. I'll just say that “Snow Patrol” is of course a different specimen, albeit an interesting one, a minimalist thrash quasi-interlude with Ellefson bass lines and a darker Mustaine addressing global warming, and while some deem it as a filler, I just can't imagine this album without it. The production, supervised by MegaDave himself, is excellent. Furthermore, this is one of those rare cases in which the more recent remastering has managed to make this record sound even greater, especially with the enhancement of those dual-layered Dave choruses and a bigger punch to Ellefson's bass.

An iconic Ed Repka album cover encases what Rust in Peace, one of thrash metal's finest releases ever, represents as a work of art for mankind; no regime nor politic power would ever outlast the might of music and arts, no matter if they're extreme, countercultural or not. Much of this album, like many similar works by other thrash metal bands, deals with the fear of atomic power being unleashed. It’s curious and funny to think about that nowadays, at the threshold of the third decade of the 21th Century, when humans find themselves trapped inside their homes by the fierce but diminutive hand of a biological agent. Atomic warfare, while obviously still possible, is probably the least concern in people's minds right now… right after those dreaded, and so far, unseen, murder hornets. Eradication of Earth's entire population remains to be seen (by aliens, perhaps?) but Rust in Peace came here to stay AND SLAY, unlike those rusting warheads hidden somewhere, and its devastating awesomeness will forever be felt by those who chose to press the launch… I mean, the play, button.

Just really fucking good - 96%

Kerpak, May 11th, 2020
Written based on this version: 1990, 12" vinyl, Capitol Records

This is one of the classics worthy of its praise, and should unite both casual listeners and underground connoisseurs in this opinion. It might feel rather fruitless to review a classic of this scale at this point, but after re-listening to it multiple times lately and learning to play some of the tracks I felt compelled. Most of everything that can be said about this album was probably already said but I figured I'd give some further analysis of the songwriting and tracks.

The album fuses thrash with speed and heavy metal, and creates what has since then been recognized as the signature Megadeth sound. Regardless of how Dave feels on the matter, him getting kicked out of Metallica literally benefited everyone in the metal world because it led to the creation of this album (and the rest of Megadeth). The album sees Megadeth (specifically the line up at the time) working as a united front of ultimate thrash metal deliverance.

Songs don't follow a simple verse - chorus structure, although there are choruses in most of them. Holy Wars starts the album in an intense thrashing mood, and in itself is a journey that keeps on evolving and giving. The rhythm guitar blasts you with elaborate and fast single note (as opposed to power chord) riffs, as a slower melody begins playing on top of it, before continuing into the first verse that Mustaine manages to sing while playing these quick thrashing riffs. The song breaks into a halt at the memorable flamenco-inspired bridge, into a power chord focused breakdown riff, then continues developing the song in a mid-paced manner using motifs from before. The song then picks up the pace again and blasts you with a catchy thrash riff with the first solo of the album on top of it.

This slowing down from and continuing into further escalation before the climax of the song is repeated a few times on the album, on Hangar 18 the song starts in a more mid-paced and melodic manner and sounds more like a heavy metal song before the band reminds you who you're dealing with. A similar thing to Holy Wars happens with Rust In Peace, being split into essentially two parts where the latter is an banging escalation into the conclusion.

Take No Prisoners on the other hand is just blasting at 110% intensity from the first second to the last. It's the perfect thrash song. It keeps evolving and blasting you with riffs upon riffs, occasionally giving you a very brief pause that lasts for merely one bar, before blasting off into another riff. A lot of the riffs are essentially power chords - rock n' roll inspired lick on the lower strings - power chords with Mustaine singing every 2nd bar. It's like the guitars are having a highway speed dialogue with each other. Even this track that is constantly blasting at full speed manages to feel like a journey that keeps evolving. It never feels like a riff salad.

There are countless golden solos sprinkled around the album, by both Marty and Mustaine. They always fit the mood and intensity of the album and are tactically placed in ideal locations. I'm sure they don't need an introduction as they are some of the most known solos of all time in Metal (Specifically Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls). There are occasional short bass interludes that are slower and more groovy, before the album continues exploding at you. Like previously mentioned, there are moments and riffs that show you the Rock n' Roll influence you can often hear peaking through with Megadeth (Think of the main riff in Killing is My Business), although it's still thrash/speed through and through.

Unlike their main peers, Metallica, (Yeah I'm gonna compared them, deal with it) there are no songs that drag on for too long (think 7-8 minutes). Songs like Holy Wars and Hangar 18 feel longer than they are because they have so much in them and develop constantly without mundanely going back to the chorus just for the sake of it. Imagine how lame it would be if after Hangar 18 escalates into thrashing/soloing insanity, Dave goes back to singing "Hangar 18 I know too much". It would be so lame it made me cringe writing that.

Another thing this album shows, as do a lot of the more extreme metal classics, is how pointless and frankly shit of a genre progressive metal is, seeing as this achieves being progressive without pointless noodling and wankery, or inferior songwriting.

The reason it's not a 100% for me is that the first half of Hangar 18 is not ideal for me, maybe due to over exposure, as well as Lucretia feeling a bit below par (plus the weird laughing grandma in the intro). I am glad the album ends the way it does, with a really fucking intense thrashing escalation of the funky Rust in Peace... Polaris. I will end this review with a beautiful poem:

Childhood is when you idolize Metallica
Adolescence is preferring Slayer
Young adulthood is acting like they're all entry level garbage
Sage wisdom is to grasp Megadeth and the art of the Riff

On Fire - 100%

Sweetie, June 21st, 2018
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Capitol Records (Remixed, Remastered)

Going to war, give 'em hell!

Picture a short, single track that barely comes to three minutes, is packed with speed metal fury, managing to cram in an intro, a worthwhile body, and a solid outro. Nicely pieced together, no real flaws, and an overall great song. This song goes by the title "Poison Was The Cure", and it just so happens to be the worst track on the world famous record known as Rust In Peace. Yeah nothing new, right? But that's the way I justify this being the number one thrash metal record ever made. Mostly, it's because it takes every single element that made the previous three records great, extracted those tactics, and blended them into a perfect beverage, like the greatest girly drink on an island vacation that you've ever had. Except there's no worrying about any egos with publicly playing Megadeth's finest work (although who cares about that anyway?). The famous, heavy metal closer from the self titled Van Halen album is another entity to compare this to. And why would I mention that crushing ear splitter from 1978 in a Rust In Peace review? Because that track title describes exactly what Dave and co. were at the time; on fire!

Never mind the fact that the Friedman/Menza duo was in full form, it's the craftmanship of the previous musicians that make this beast what it is, and without them, our 1990 lineup wouldn't be able to draw from them. That's right, this utilizes punky attitudes and heated messages, builds off of suspense, and evenly distributes stripped down simplicity along with progressive aspects, and I think anyone could agree that this is the closest Megadeth ever came to prog. For starters, the track layout doesn't follow any templates, not even the short bass heavy marching tune known as "Dawn Patrol". "Holy Wars.... The Punishment Due" is the obvious contender for this, shifting time signatures and rhythm patterns left and right. Personally, I believe the title track does that even better, with the famous drum intro and steady yet speedy bulk of the song, fading into a mean neck puncher of an album closer. If it all did this though, it wouldn't be as special. You need those speedballs of angry energy and more accessible, as well as shorter tunes. "Take No Prisoners" is a great example, possibly being the best track on here. I mean really, can anyone turn down that buzzing bridge that connects the start of the song to the meat of these few minutes? Of course, the more famous "Tornado Of Souls" is probably what comes to mind most of the time, and that one certainly does everything justice too.

Another advanced technique beyond all of the shifts in tone and lack of generic assery is the placement of the solos along with standout moments on the bass being everywhere. I've already touched on this a little bit, but solos are used as more than just breaks from the vocals. They're used as short transitions in almost every track, they also at times take the place of a verse, and in no way does it ever disappoint. There's no need to go into Marty Friedman worship, his genius playing should be known by all by now. Hopping basswork and all-over the board drum kicks are generally inserted around these areas to fry it up even hotter. Unlike on So Far, which uses rawness to its advantage, Rust blasts through with a very clean production, allowing for an easier listen, and a more refined product. Of course, this version contains a few demos (thank God it's demos and not remixes) that allows you to hear them in primitive form. As cool as it is, the rawness is no match for this beauty. Plus, you also get the short, yet fun "My Creation", another unreleased one. So really, there's no going wrong.

Yeah, yeah, you probably all knew most of that, if you even made it this far. But nonetheless, my interpretations of this draws from previous works, trims the fat, and sprinkles a little bit of everything in to make it so masterful. I highly doubt every single person has seen it that way, and the next time you give this a spin, I encourage you to think about that. Mustaine say's he's mastered five magics, but truly, this is nine magics (and then some).

What Master of Puppets should've been - 91%

Mailman__, April 20th, 2018

As far as I'm concerned, this album sounds like a combination of Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and So Far, So Good... So What?  If you have read my previous reviews for the latter of those two albums, you will know that I do not like it that much.  It's no doubt that this is a well-done album, unlike its predecessor.  But I do not think it's as well-done as their first two albums.

It's missing the speed metal riffage that I love so much about Peace Sells and Killing Is My Business.  Rust in Peace certainly has fast riffs and hooks, as well as lightning fast solos, but, again, they aren't the same.  The technicality is there still, but, for whatever reason, this album reminds me of a band like Atrophy or Testament after 1988.  That is to day, it's just thrash metal, other than some speed metal-esque riffs of "Lucretia."

The riffs on here are great.  Like I said, they're fast.  They have good melody, speed, and technicality.  I'm going to try and not compare them to Megadeth's first two albums any more and just review them as they are on their own.  As far as riffs go, I think that "Tornado of Souls," "Rust in Peace... Polaris," and the first three tracks have the best riffs.  As far as solos go, "Tornado of Souls" wins.

Standing on its own, it's really great.  It's like what Master of Puppets should have been.  Aside from the riffs, as I have already given my opinions on them, the bass is good too.  I feel like they tried to revive "Peace Sells" with "Dawn Patrol."  This may not be the case, but I can't help but think it is.  It's a nice bassline, but it's just okay.  The bass on this album isn't anything stellar.  It's not like Ellefson's left the band or anything because he certainly did not, it's just that the bass isn't really doing anything beyond mimicking the guitar.  If there's a moment on here where that isn't the case, then it must not have been very memorable.

This is a good album.  It's got technicality, speed, thrashy riffs, and melodic solos.  The bass sounds good, and the drums don't sound as poppy as their previous album.  Overall, it's pretty much what thrash metal should be.

Overall Rating: 91%

Originally written for themetalvoid.wordpress.com

One Hundred Mothafuckin' Percent! - 100%

Valfars Ghost, September 29th, 2017

Just as the thrash era was coming to a close, Megadeth managed to squeeze out one last onslaught before falling into the valley of commercial-minded post-grunge metal that consumed practically every 80s thrash band in the following decade. And what a parting shot it was. Rust in Peace finds Dave Mustaine at the height of his creative power. Stuffed with theatrical, ambitious playing, creative riffs and a chemistry between the instrumentalists that scientists say technically counts as a form of magic, Rust in Peace is the high water mark of the original California thrash scene.

Megadeth has never been the band one points to as an example when somebody asks “What is this 'thrash metal' you're always going on about, Brian?” Despite fitting into the genre's mold, Mustaine's always had a way of putting riffs together in a fashion that didn't quite fit in with what his West Coast contemporaries were doing and a habit of going all out with his soloing. With this in mind, Rust in Peace is the Megadethiest album of the band's career. The riffing is unconventional but never seems outright bizarre or lacking in energy (just listen to the madcap bouncing throughout most of 'Poison Was the Cure'). The soloing, meanwhile, is frenetic, complicated, and flashy. And it’s everywhere. Mustaine and Friedman, then a newcomer to the band, cram solos seemingly wherever they can. People who would criticize the 948 minutes of guitar solos in the second half of ‘Hangar 18’ as excessive are right but it’s that sort of over-the-top showmanship that makes this album such a delight.

On the mic, Dave Mustaine is of course not as skilled. Luckily, Dave knew what his limitations were. Despite some incredibly fast singing in ‘Poison Was the Cure’, he never ventures too far out of his sneering comfort zone and he always manages to fit the mood. Nick Menza, meanwhile, was a powerhouse drummer, which is made perfectly clear in his energetic playing here. Rounding out the ensemble, David Ellefson is equally monstrous on the bass and indispensable for some of the album's tensest moments, like the eerie crawl of 'Dawn Patrol' and the mounting panic in the into to the already-praised 'Poison Was the Cure'. This is sort of the ultimate thrash album for instrumentally-minded people, delivering a stampede of recognizable and invigorating riffs, an avalanche of great solos, and some busy bass and drum sections that round out the release.

Mustaine should also be commended for his refusal to use standard structuring in most of these songs. Some tracks eschew the whole verse-chorus-verse construction entirely and some stick a little closer to it but almost every track here at least has an instrumental section that seems to interrupt what might have otherwise been a predictable song. This lack of by-the-book construction allows the band to throw in plenty of unexpected treats, like the bombastic crescendo-building dash to the finish line that closes the final song and Marty Friedman's awesome Middle Eastern-sounding solo in the first half of 'Holy Wars...the Punishment Due'.

If anything at all negative can be said about this album, it's that the production leaves everything somewhat empty and sterile. The playing on this album though, renders this point moot because the passion, energy, and instrumental skill in the performances can't be covered up by a slightly dry production. And, hey, the bass is easy to pick out (and it's doing interesting stuff) so that's a plus.

Despite being conceived for the sole purpose of being more metal than Metallica, Megadeth has never been about being faster/harder/heavier-than-thou. While many other bands were racing to see who could be the most intense, Mustaine took a refreshing approach that emphasized difficult, unconventional riffs and an emphasis on dazzling solos. Rust in Peace takes those excesses about as far as they can reasonably go and still ends up being brilliant. There's plenty of substance amid all the showboating on this monumental release. Rust in Peace is an indispensable treasure of the genre that spawned it and a definite must-have for anyone remotely interested in thrash metal.

It's My Turn To Defend The Faith - 99%

CHAIRTHROWER, July 3rd, 2017
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Capitol Records

I never thought I'd write a review for which 27 rhetorical accounts run the gamut of mild praise and disappointment to sheer worship back to mediocrity again. Oh, well, here's to keeping the ball rolling...

Not only is 1990's Rust In Peace Megadeth's finest hour but also one of the more memorable releases from my youth. While it's doubtful the metal World needs yet another elaboration on the iconic L.A. thrashers' fourth full-length, I figured I'd serve up some quirky, out of left field feedback.

I also concede thrash metal ain't my "bailiwick", yet, then again, this highly technical gem is the equivalent of the holy grail of fretboard wizardry. That said, I spent the better part of my adolescence attempting to smoothly pull off all the complex parts to "Lucretia" and my favourite Megadeth track by far, the incredibly volatile "Tornado Of Souls". I'm also not ashamed to admit I'm an inferior musician for whom mastery of the electric axe doesn't come easy; I'm still - and from the tarry looks of it - a far way off from achieving this musical goal. Suffice to say, however, I'm grateful for fellow, er, "archivist"'s input, as it has unabashedly put flames to my boots (hence, compelling me to sit up and brainstorm!)

While admittedly bizarre filler such as "Five Magics", despite neat lyrical ode to nefarious Middle Age alchemy, and the unnecessary "Dawn Patrol" (imbued with Dave Mustaine's lugubrious mole-like croaking - this was achieved by drawing air over his bottom lip while biting down on his upper teeth!), in addition to closer "Polaris", are readily skippable, the rest of RIP is unyielding in Mustaine and especially Marty Friedman's technical execution, not to mention team Dave Ellefson/Nick Menza's (RIP!) thunderous rhythm section.

Bearing witness to Megadeth's delivery of the bridge to "Holy Wars", as well as crystalline twinkling leading up to "…The Punishment Due" alongside their tight, stellar leads and, also, of course, one-of-a-kind dramatic build-up/poignancy of "Hangar 18", as impressionable twelve year old at very first heavy metal show - at Verdun Auditorium, having grown up in Montreal - knew I was witnessing something magical. To this day, it's still my most memorable show. (Hell, I came back from my first mosh ever, during the crazed rendition of "Tornado of Souls", minus a shoe!)

Then you've got the frenetic call to arms "Take No Prisoners", which sounds like forgotten track from the rough hewn So Far, So Good…So What?!" ("Take no prisoners! Take no shit!" Ah, good times…), followed by - barring the weaker, bass heavy "Five Magics" - the deceptively difficult-to-play "Poison Was The Cure". Actually, check out this super skilled German dude Ristridi's insane cover of it on youtube sometimes, but make sure to have spare socks handy, as those on will be blown clean off! Said shredder knows the score.

To such end, keep in mind I've yet to even elaborate properly on the best tracks; namely "Lucretia" and "Tornado Of Souls", as I'm sure many imagine (and agree!). Short of sounding like a broken record, let's just say the slick, mesmerizing intro, following a sardonic witch's cackle, and wickedly economical "spider" riffing/incrementally maneuvering power chords and evil, bamboozling solo of the former + sick B (natural) Minor with some B Dorian chromatic riffing - to perfectly timed natural harmonics - of latter are, fondly put, to die for.

With half of "Hangar 18" highlighted by kick-arse continuum of lead trade-offs and Friedman's complex, laborious and much loved exotic solos on "Tornado Of Souls" I'm left completely stupefied. His natural level of talent and dexterity is mind boggling. To quote Friedman in a 2002 interview: "When I finished the solo to this one, Mustaine came into the studio, listened to it down once, turned around and without saying a word, shook my hand. It was at that moment that I felt like I was truly the guitarist for this band".

It's not my style to flog a dead horse but I figured it was time I step up my game and rub shoulders with wider variety of writers. (Now I can get back to that long-suffering review which warrants a considerably lower score.)

The greatest thrash album of all time - 99%

TrooperEd, November 2nd, 2016

Ritchie Blackmore claimed that his musical inspirations were jazz and symphony orchestras. But he also recognized that if he was going to con the working class out its money and women (as any rock & roll artist set out to do), he would need a much simpler approach— an approach which utilized the simple riffs of The Who and The Kinks. Dave Mustaine and Dave Ellefson did not set out to challenge this idea. They were too busy following the logical path their music was forging, being carved by some intangible that every great artist is blessed with briefly in their career.

Now the intangible on the other hand, thought, “why the hell should great rock & roll be carried with simple, one note riffs? Our goal is to illuminate the collective subconscious, we should be making these riffs as technical as possible but still just as memorable as I Can’t Explain or Purple Haze.” Folks, it is one thing to watch a fingering exercise, but it is quite another to remember how to particular exercise sounds hours after you're done hearing it.

Mustaine, Ellefson and their newfound crew of Marty Freidman and Nick Menza set out to establish the next level of tech-thrash beyond So Far So Good So What, which was, in turn, to make the most technical rock & roll available without degenerating (a term I use cautiously) into freeform jazz. And goddammit, they did exactly that. Using every possible technique available to rock guitarists in the book, Mustaine crafted so many riffs and melodies that were not only the next generation of the top guitar riffs of all time, but they made you feel like a golden god while you air played them or otherwise. Last time I checked that’s what the whole thing called heavy metal is about, empowerment.

The Metallica albatross around Mustaine's neck served as gift of inspiration and a curse. With Rust In Peace, Megadeth rocketed right out of Metallica's shadow and became superstars. In fact, I postulate that Metallica chose to go the Motley Crue route because they realized that they were simply outmatched, pound for pound. And Justice For All, the bands most epic effort to date was criticized for a number of reasons, but the most scathing had to have been that the album was too bloated and the songs were too long. Nobody said that about this album. There was practically zero criticism for this album, and those who did were from people who just never got it anyway. After years of misery, Dave Mustaine had finally achieved his goal of out-metalling Metallica. It’s such a shame that the drugs and record company made him re-evaluate his situation and foolishly realize that you aren’t a better musician unless you outsell someone. To be fair, while this album isn't quite as technical or progressive as No More Color or Control & Resistance, but Control & Resistance just doesn't have a song as good as Take No Prisoners on it. A song like that would be its big hit single. Here? Maybe the the second or third "worst" on here. It really is that good, rivetheads. This record stands alone as a zenith of so many endeavors. To have not experienced it is to deprive yourself of essential human minerals that flush the fats out of your body. Which is fine by me.

Fatass.

Recommended Songs:
Tornado of Souls
Rust In Peace
Holy Wars
Hangar 18

This Shredding Ain’t Rusty! - 89%

ReleaseTheBears, November 1st, 2016

I’m not normally into thrash metal (though I’ve certainly given it a fair chance) but this has got to be one of the most accessible and melodic of all the famous thrash albums. And for me, melody is very important.

The very first thing that comes to my attention is the insane shredding in the opening minute and a half of Holy Wars…The Punishment Due. It blows my mind how good, intense, and catchy those guitar parts are. Thankfully that level of shredding is frequent throughout the rest of the album, reappearing on every song except the slow groovy, funk metal song Dawn Patrol, which has no need of guitar anyways.

While there isn’t a bad song on the album, for me the standout tracks are Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Lucretia, and Tornado Of Souls. Those songs just take the melodies, riffs, shredding, and musicianship to another level. The very first song I ever heard by Megadeth was Tornado Of Souls, and while I didn’t like it at the time (it was too heavy for my young ears) I was immediately struck by how tight and crisp the entire band was. All these guys have chops! Great drum fills!

My first complaint is that Dave Mustaine is not much of a singer. However, to give him credit, he seems to be aware of what his voice can and cannot do well, and so despite this limitation he sings to his strengths. The best vocals are when he sings or speaks in a deep voice inflected with evil. It also helps that the vocals have been mixed in such a way that they don’t stand out too much without being lost in the mix. Overall a good job making the most out of a weakness.

My only other complaint is a minor one, but the songs do tend to sound pretty similar on the first few listens. Which is better than the songs starting to sound the same after the first few listens mind you, and there are the occasional variations such as the aforementioned Dawn Patrol (which works well as an intro of sorts to Rust In Peace…Polaris) the slow intros to Five Magics and Poison Was The Cure, and the beautiful flamenco guitar break in Holy Wars. That part fits in surprisingly well!

In summary, this is one awesome dose of good melodies and epic shredding!

The best thrash metal album ever made - 100%

BlackMetal213, July 16th, 2016

I'm not sure where I read it, but years ago, I read that Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" is "so technical and musically sophisticated, it is near impossible to rip off" or something like that. I'm not sure how accurate this is but judging by the sound and sheer intensity of the music, I can definitely see why someone would say this. Released in late 1990, "Rust in Peace" is Megadeth's fourth full-length studio album. This album, along with "Peace Sells...but Who's Buying?" both seem to garner the "best Megadeth album" or even "best thrash metal album" labels, depending on who you talk to. It seems "Peace Sells" is usually given that honor. Of course, that album happens to be my second favorite from Megadeth. This album, in my opinion, is the best thrash metal album of all time. It's followed very closely by albums such as "...And Justice For All" by Metallica, "Pleasure to Kill" by Kreator, "Darkness Descends" by Dark Angel, "By Inheritance" by Artillery, "Agent Orange" by Sodom, and even the more modern album "Black Future" by Vektor. Those are all legendary albums for sure but Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" manages to outshine all of them. At this point, Dave and Co. reached their creative peak.

Combining melody with technicality and a fairly mature style of songwriting, "Rust in Peace" almost seemed to be Megadeth's answer to Metallica's aforementioned "...And Justice For All". Granted this album was not nearly as rooted in progressive metal, nor are there any 9-minute plus songs on here. These guys managed to make an album far more impressive than "AJFA" without needing super long tracks. The guitar work here is by far the best on any Megadeth album. It's melodic yet at the same time, extremely technical. And it's not the wanky technical, either. The solos here almost sound impossible to play even for the most seasoned of guitarists. And these guys were on drugs when they recorded this album! Which, of course, was standard throughout much of the band's early discography. But I digress, this album literally seems too good to be true.

Back to the guitar work. The introductory track "Holy Wars...the Punishment Due" starts off in a speed metal frenzy that eventually breaks for a melodic interlude with a middle-eastern influence (which shouldn't be surprising, look at the song's lyrical content!). This acoustic interlude is then ended with a melodic, heavier electric guitar riff. This is one of the most beautiful moments on the entire album. Of course, where would this album be without its solos? This song has two guitar solos that really stick out, one that's slower and more melodic and one that's much faster and more aggressive. I have to wonder, after recording this album, how did Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman still manage to have fingers? It seems impossible. While they decided to start the album off at its strongest point with its best track, the rest of this beast only maintains the sheer intensity and complexity. "Hangar 18" is another one of the band's most well-known song and while it's a little simpler than "Holy Wars...", it's still extremely proficient and technical. There are plenty of slower moments on the album. "Poison Was the Cure" starts off with a slow bass riff and then explodes into a thrash assault. Speaking of bass, "Dawn Patrol" is the shortest track on the album. It's just under two minutes and serves as an interlude drum and bass track with spoken word passages. This song is preceded by "Tornado of Souls" which, while "Holy Wars..." still remains the best track overall, this song contains the best guitar solo on the album. The riffs are very melodic and catchy but not to the point where they sound cheesy. This song reeks of technical precision. The title track of this album ends the show with a bang. Talk about a riff-fest! It's pretty amazing how such a guitar driven album manages to not let up in intensity, even when the songs take a more melodic turn. Megadeth certainly hasn't managed to write riffs of this quality since this album and honestly, I doubt they ever will again.

As this was Marty Friedman's first album playing guitar for Megadeth, this was drummer Nick Menza's first as well. There seems to be a bit of a jazz influence in the drumming, and it almost sounds like something Gar Samuelson would have recorded. Granted it's not as jazzy, but Menza manages to give off one hell of a performance. The drumming is top notch and is mixed perfectly in the music. The mix overall is absolutely perfect and none of the instruments overpower each other. Even the bass can be heard as mentioned earlier! This is one of the strongest vocal performances Dave Mustaine has ever provided. I wouldn't say it's the absolute cream of the crop, but it's close. He sounds very powerful here and nothing sounds forced.

Such as the case with a lot of these classic albums that have a million reviews as it is, I really can't say anything that hasn't already been said. This album is perfect from front to back. It is 40 minutes of thrash excellence that still manages to have not been surpassed by any other band. Sure, plenty have came close but honestly, I don't think any band will ever reach this level of musical perfection. And I'm aware there are more technical albums out there as well. My opinion still stands. This is the best thrash metal album ever made.

Diamands and mud - 91%

gasmask_colostomy, July 2nd, 2016

It's not exactly like more opinions are needed for an album as discussed and disputed as 'Rust in Peace', but maybe the time has come to reconsider the music from Megadeth's 1990 incarnation in a different light. In the first place, there are 9 reviews below mine that I don't trust since all of them bear the 100% stamp that means someone has become carried away and let their emotions rule the rating. However, that's not to say that we can't learn something from those scores, because if an album can draw that kind of reaction then there must be some truth that its quality and effect on the listener are both extremely strong indeed.

My personal experience of this album might shed some light on the situation. As a very young metal fan (I suppose I was 12 or 13 when I bought this), I was rather confused and not especially excited by the songs on offer here, although I had already noticed the quality and riff content of 'Holy Wars...The Punishment Due' and played that song the most. Later, I became more interested in the rest of the album as I warmed to the style, though I would still select certain songs for listening, usually turning my nose up at 'Take No Prisoners', 'Five Magics', and 'Poison Was the Cure', which seemed to me either muddy, aimless, or a combination of the two. Nowadays, I can listen to the entire album and hear the ideas and detail that has gone into the making even of my less favourite songs, but I still can't really say that this album approaches perfection or that all those ideas are that awesome. I suppose that my young self kind of had a point about 'Rust in Peace', mostly because I was initially left cold to some of the songs that showed technical proficiency though were not very attractive or those that were structured in odd and unhelpful forms.

The unattractiveness and odd structuring need to be addressed, because there isn't much to complain about from a technical point of view and anyway I'm not the guy for that job. When I say that a song like 'Take No Prisoners' is unattractive, I don't mean that it's ugly exactly - this ain't The Dillinger Escape Plan or necro black metal - nor that it's plain, yet I'm not drawn to the sound or the movement of the song as I am with 'Tornado of Souls', for example. Maybe it's the overwhelming growl and grunt of all the bass work from David Ellefson, because the whole aura of that song is dirty and messy (I have the 2004 Capitol remaster if that helps), without proper definition for either the slightly sloppy bass or the fuzzy scramble of the guitars, while the drums are too soft, especially the kicks, actually competing with the floppy bass sound. Then Dave Mustaine's voice is a bit too far up the mix and quite scratchy (the vocals were actually rerecorded for this song, so it might sound different on different versions), which means everything is out of balance. Then there's the song itself, which never settles down to really do that much except provide a platform for the bass solos and licks. Compare that to another song - even a less lauded one like 'Lucretia' - and you can instantly hear just how clear the intention of the band becomes, with great momentum and much better clarity, plus a bass solo that is integrated into the song instead of the other way round.

The structuring of 'Take No Prisoners' is my main grumble, but moving on from that song I also wonder what made 'Five Magics' take the form it does. I mean, the intro is fairly cool and goes through plenty of changes that generate atmosphere and give each instrumentalist a chance to show themselves, yet when the meat of the song arrives it suddenly seems dispensable, as if it was just something interesting that the band had thought up. The same goes for 'Dawn Patrol', which is clearly inessential yet sort of entertaining in a totally different way to the shredding in 'Hangar 18' or elsewhere. I wouldn't have such a problem with the off-the-cuff structuring and inclusion of ideas if 'Rust in Peace' felt like the kind of album where the musicians were just having fun with ideas; however, it doesn't, since the level of technical ability and forethought (mostly) on show utterly disagrees with the concept that the band were jamming or having fun. I suppose that is probably my biggest criticism of 'Rust in Peace', since there isn't a sense of fun or spontaneity about the songs here, while 'Peace Sells' (the other sacred Megadeth release) does have those things. Maybe it's the mix or the production or the technical concentration that goes into some of the songs, but I can't always just enjoy what's happening here despite the extremely high level of quality.

For most of the music on offer, however, I must say it is not only skillful but also exciting. Enough has been said about the merits of the best songs that I don't need to add anything, though let it be known that I utterly agree with those who reckon the opening pair of songs, 'Tornado of Souls', and the title track are among the best speed/thrash tunes out there, while 'Lucretia' is also a great underrated listen. For aggression, melodic sense, and pure artful shredding, you would be hard pressed to find a better album. On balance, this is still a fantastic album and essential listening for almost any metalhead, yet it doesn't maintain the quality that it shows for the most part, struggling with clarity and structure in a few places, especially the dim squelch of 'Take No Prisoners'. Expect a lot, by all means, but not 100%.

A Thrash Classic - 100%

McTague97, December 15th, 2014

Rust in Peace is Megadeth's 4th album and one of their most well acclaimed with many referring to it as their greatest album. It definitely is a solid album and a worthy listen for any thrasher.

The lyrics deal with war (Holy Wars... the Punishment Due) and political conspiracies (Hangar 18). Dave's vocals are at a highpoint here. His enthusiatic and energetic delivery is hard to match. His singing is as good as he'll ever get, his voice lacks certain qualities but he is very charismatic and knows how to make up for it.

Megadeth sticks more to midtempos on this album, (Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls) this makes a sound that is less technical but more melodic. Hooks have found their ways into some of the choruses. So the riffing is slower and more melodic then on previous albums meaning this is a bit of a game changer for Megadeth. I personally enjoyed the change and due to the reception it got I would assume this was a good choice for the band. The solos still tend to have that quick and calculated feel to them but with the advantage of more melody.

The bass follows the lead of the guitars and keeps tempo with them. Not as flashy or fancy as before. He does round out the sound and add support the guitars and has a place in the production where it can fill these roles with ease. The drummer lays off the pounding a lot and carries along with the others pulling out fanciful tricks as he sees fit.

This makes me ask a very important question though, Megadeth's rise to power was dependent on technicality. Its also how they tried so hard to out do Metallica, so why slow down and simplify it? I could only imagine that Dave wants to compete with Metallica in record sales and that is an extremely dangerous game to play. The only way for him to do that is make a more marketable sound, an almost guaranteed ticket to pissing off your fans and becoming a sellout and let's face it, now that Dave has crossed this line every album he makes has more and more potential to blow up in his face and become a disaster. Not one of his brighter ideas.

Standout Tracks: Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls and Rust in Peace

A true classic and masterpiece - 100%

Superreallycool, October 7th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1991, 12" vinyl, EMI / Kemongsa Music Ltd. (South Korea, Censored)

Few if any albums have left a legacy on the level of Megadeth's Rust in Peace. It is that one popular thrash album you don't have to be ashamed to admit loving in front of your hardcore metal-head friends. It's perfection 100% and I don't know a single metal-head who isn't in love with it. Song after song it shows how great Mustaine and crew really are.

There isn't a single bad track here, not a single song I want to ever skip. All the songs are both catchy, but truly metal. The solos are among the best ever written, especially Tornado of Souls. Plus, it's an album that works as both background noise and aa a deep listen, which makes it "adaptable" to how one wishes to listen on a particular day. It really shows how Megadeth had perfected their craft.

Lets start with the musicianship, and it is abundant here. All the members are great at their instrument of choice, and all their ability is used here. Some tracks like Hangar 18 show this more than others, but they all have a technical edge to them. Nick Menza's drumming is powerful yet complex, like a mix of Dave Grohl and Neil Peart. Mustaine, while not the best, is more than competent at guitar and his vocals are unique, and something I've grown to really love. Dave Ellefson is the least talented member, but he still knows his way around a bass and Megadeth wouldn't be the same without him. Marty Friedman... well Marty is God. No one has his ability to merge soul and technicality in such a perfect way.

The mix here is awesome. It is well balanced and super clean. The instruments are sharp and crisp, just the way Mustaine intended them to be. When Megadeth gets technical, this allows ever little detail to be heard, and its really something to behold. The mix on this album is among the best in metal ever, which this album needs to succeed.

Maddeningly inconsistent - 62%

Cosmic_Equilibrium, August 28th, 2014

This album is generally seen as a classic of the thrash metal genre, and a pinnacle of Megadeth's career. While there are undoubtedly some serious high points here, this is an extremely inconsistent record.

Half of the album is great thrash/speed metal, with very tight riffage, a good sense of dynamics and huge hooks everywhere you look [the chorus of “Rust In Peace... Polaris” will remain in your head for weeks]. The musicianship and technical ability on offer are of a very high standard – the whole band sounds ferociously tight, disciplined and on top of their game, perhaps best showcased on “Hangar 18” where the second half of the song is given over to Mustaine and Friedman trading guitar solos back and forth. The lyrics are also quite entertaining, even though they just go over some of the standard Mustaine topics of warfare, Armageddon, and conspiracy theories, there are some memorable lines in there [“Military intelligence/Two words combined that don’t make sense”]. Mustaine’s vocals are quite good and more even in quality than on his earlier output, which makes the album sound somewhat slicker than usual for Megadeth.

The strongest bits of the album are at the beginning, especially the opener “Holy Wars... The Punishment Due” which to this day remains Megadeth’s finest composition and is the perfect way to open the album. Given the strength of this song and the one after it, the listener might think that they are in for a treat – but here is where the album falls flat on its face. The middle of the record is dead in the water. Not one of the songs after “Hangar 18” has anything like the huge hooks, the catchy choruses, the sense of melody or the memorable riffs that make the rest of the album so good. The one possible exception is "Five Magics" which has an interesting breakdown halfway through that provides some interest, but the rest of the time these songs just pass by aimlessly. They sound sterile, flat, and very forced. Thrashing away, certainly, but thrashing away just for the sake of it, not to produce an interesting result. The middle section of the album just leaves no impression on the listener. It is, quite frankly, a blessed relief when “Tornado Of Souls” eventually bursts into life – finally, an actual proper chorus! A hook! Interesting riffs! Sadly, it’s too little too late to save the record.

This is a very strange album - one that excites tremendously for the first two songs, and entertains for the closing tracks, but in between completely falls flat and becomes lifeless. It cannot seriously be cited as the high point of Megadeth's career - the inconsistency is too much to tolerate. A possible comparison would be Judas Priest's Point Of Entry album, another record with stupendous highs but also some baffling sections of filler. However the contrast on Rust In Peace, because of the way the highpoints bookend a sea of mediocre songwriting and dull riffage, is even starker. The album doesn't just sag in the middle, it falls away completely. Overall, the first two songs alone validate the price of admission, and the performances throughout are extremely good, but this album is by no means the high water mark it's so often made out to be. Megadeth have produced far more consistent records than this. Worth a purchase, but preferably cheap.

A magum opus of heavy metal - 100%

Korgul The Terminator, January 31st, 2014

Dave Mustaine and co. may have become a joke, or even worse, as of late. Some may say fans such as myself are living off nostalgia and days gone by more so than a bright, musical future. If you say this, you wouldn't be wrong. Megadeth's best musical days are almost certainly in their rearview mirrror, and the pumped out dross that has become commonplace for them, (Super Collider, Risk, etc), is not surprising for a band 30 years into their career. But for the time, "Rust In Peace" is and will always be an absolute landmark metal album. Countless accolades have accosted this album in the 24 years since it was first released, as have a fair number of dejectors. As a stand alone thrash metal album, it's head and shoulders above most if not all of the thrash released at the turn of the decade. With the addition of virtuouso Marty Friedman, this album is absolutely one you must hear before you die.

The guitar work on this album is among the best in metal history, with so many classic riffs spread across the nine tracks. "Holy Wars", "Tornado of Souls", "Hangar 18", and "Rust In Peace...Polaris", are absolute benchmark thrash metal tracks, with their legacy attesting to that. Marty Friedman was in the band for nearly a decade, yet still, his best work with Megadeth is on this album. Mustaine's rhythm guitar is essential to the driving, searing feeling these riffs give off, as the near constant strike of the riff is unceasing.

The obvious political and social overtones are not lost on the listener, as five world leaders are sat behind some sort of alien testing device. Megadeth is at their best when writing songs that are snarkily denoting higher superiority, be it world leaders or contemporaries. The common theme of "Rust In Peace" is akin to that of "Peace Sells", clearly stating that the world is headed toward a nuclear tumble, and we would all rust in peace if the leaders of this planet didn't stop doing what they were. Dave Mustaine, now much more eccentric and controversial in his beliefs, was always heavily interested in politics and government, and at his prime this worked amazingly well to his advantage. Even as far as "Endgame", which is arguably their best album of the post-1994 era. The songs are catchy, nasty, and have a message. That's what makes a good song.

In summation, "Rust In Peace" is almost always mentioned as an absolute classic, almost ad nauseam. If subjectivity in listening is such a thing, my views on this album may be slightly more biased as it opened the floodgates of heavy metal for me. I remember purchasing the CD as a naive 16 year old, and realizing two tracks in this was by far one of the greatest things I had ever heard. If more people than me can have an experience like that from this very album, than my deduction that it's as classic and timeless as it is certainly stands.

The Greatest Metal Album Ever - 100%

BoltThrowin_thrasher, February 27th, 2011

Through the years i have grown very fond of many bands, over many different genres. Especially in the thrash metal genre, and over the years I have heard many amazing albums, but this is easily the greatest. Ive never heard another album as musical and lyrically powerful as this one. It is in every sense of the word, a classic. Perfection from front to back. Essential to every metal lovers collection. There is no low on this album, every song is just as good as the last. Continuously pushing forward to the next amazing riff, the next perfect solo. Rust In Peace can only be described as a masterpiece.

The album kicks off with bang with the Megadeth classic, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due. Lyrically, and musically a perfect piece of art. Vocally, Mustaine has never been perfect. But his vocals fit, and that is what matters. He has one of the more recognizable voices in metal, and that is for sure. The song starts with a blazing fast riff that forces you to start banging your head. The song in a way reminds me of Angel Of Death by Slayer. In the way it has a very distinct beginning, middle, and end, going from fast, to slow, to finishing strong. The next song is another classic, Hanger 18. Who could forget the end where Mustaine and Friedman are trading off solos. Then comes the anti-war classic, Take No Prisoners. The album then takes a somewhat unexpected turn with Five Magics. Being the most progressive track on the album, it does not dissapoint. With its slow climbing build to its strategically fast solo at the end, it is amazing. Poison Was The Cure is another song with a bass intro. Lasting nearly a third of the song, Then moving into one of the fastest, most technical riffs I have ever heard. The main riff makes the solo almost feel lacking. Lucretia is the sixth song on this album and some would think that at this point the album would let up, but Mustaine and his crew of metal giants will not let that happen. It begins with a laugh and has a somewhat strange opening riff. It is definitely a wierd song. But it's wierd in a good way. The solo is one of the best on the album. Once Lucretia is done rocking your brain, Tornado Of Souls kicks in. In my opinion the strongest track on the album. The emotion filled lyrics to the techinal guitars, this song is perfect. It possessess the greatest solo of all time. This song is so beautifully put together. Dave would never again top this song. No one will. After the emotion filled Tornado Of Souls comes Dawn Patrol. A slow creeping intro that leads up to the title track, Rust In Peace. Nick Menza opens this song with a badass drum solo and from then on this song kicks your ass. This being one of Mustaines earliest songs it does not feel out of time at all. It feels more relevant now then it would have earlier in his carreer. This song is the only way this album could have been ended. It has such an intense feeling to it. Every line he spews out fills you with a further sense of dread. A good dose of hopelessness to end it off with. The album starts intense and it ends intense. The thrash cycle is complete.

This album is definitely not a straightforward thrash album. the songs often contain elements of a more melodic or progressive style. Which gives this album a style all its own. The musicianship is tight, the lyrics are personal, and the sense of amazement never ends. This album is at times scary, sad, beautiful, and angry. Every song feels different, but it all belongs. It took me too long to realize the greatness of this album. And i hope this review helps you to realize how awesome it really is. For people who have heard it, it is an almost life changing experience. And for those who have not, it is a classic waiting to be heard.

Little rust to be found here. - 90%

Twistedeyes, March 7th, 2010

Rust in Peace by Megadeth is an album that should be known by most fans of the Thrash metal genre even if they haven't personally heard it. Megadeth have never been anywhere near as heavy as the heaviest bands in the thrash metal genre but they simply don't need to be. The music in this album is expressed in a unique way that you will never confuse it with any other thrash metal album. It is an album with incredibly technical playing in all instrumental components and is not only Megadeth's magnum opus but it is one of a few magnum opus's in the speed/thrash metal genre.

If melodic thrash metal was a recognized genre then this would be a clear definition of it as the production values are crystal clear and power metal influences are evident in most of the solos. By the first few seconds of the opening track "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" which I still can't believe it's a single, it will assault you with an array of speedy riffs that are unrelenting and this sets the standard for a majority of the album. Not everything is the speed metal that you will be quickly conditioned to, the opener drastically changes into a slower, heavier song via an acoustic bridge segment and you should be prepared for this throughout the course of the album as the songs shift from flat out thrash e.g. "Take No Prisoners" to more progressive based structures e.g. "Five Magics"

Dave Mustaine's vocals are adequate considering he also contributes to the guitar playing but they're a fair bit away from the most desirable vocals I have heard. They have a very snarly and gritty feel to them that suit a live situation very well but are a bit off at times and can cause you to misinterpret some of the lyrics if you're not careful. The lyrics are very intelligent and range widely in subject matter, I mean even the singles aren't in the slightest bit slouches, "Hangar 18" covers the topic of ufo conspiracy, something that through all my metal discoveries have never heard any other song do.

The riffs and guitar solos are simply unbelievable at times. Don't be surprised if a solo catches you off guard and lasts several minutes. Marty Friedman is an incredibly talented guitarist, unfortunately this is the only Megadeth album that he has performed on that the true tapped potential of Marty seeps through. Unlike many metal albums the bass guitar playing of David Ellefson is very audible and serves as the perfect supplement to the lead and rhythm guitar parts. Nick Menza's drum parts won't astonish anyone here but there are many competent fills and patterns to be found.

With the only real drawbacks of this album being some vocal parts and the unneeded song "Dawn Patrol" that is quite absurd but luckily it's the second last song and the haste it absorbs is limited. Rust In Peace is in my top 5 thrash metal albums of all time and I am quite sure it will be a worthy asset to any thrash fan that can appreciate the more technical, melodic and progressive side to the thrash metal genre. I count it as Megadeth's most balanced effort, an effort by them that nothing of the same caliber has been done by them before the release of this album. Megadeth's recent efforts have also been quite good to say the least, but I doubt anything they do in the future will match this, I can only hope.

Perfection! - 98%

evermetal, November 9th, 2009

Before I started writing this review I thought it would be wise to listen to Rust In Peace since I hadn’t listened to it for some time. It was a huge mistake! When the CD ended, I needed a few minutes to catch my breath and pull myself together and realize what exactly hit me! Until I finally figured it out. It was the shock waves that came from the nuclear explosion caused by Megadeth! Now that I recovered my senses I feel ready to begin.

In 1990 a new era had risen for the American speed/thrash metallers. This time the light of hope was delivered by the duo Friedman/Menza whose contribution to the creation of Rust In Peace was enormous. Dave Mustaine, almost drug-free, almost sober, almost humane to his partners but mostly to himself, completely unfolds his talent, a talent that we were barely allowed to discover in the past. With the skillful and experienced guitarist Marty Friedman by his side, he feels freer and gets more space since he doesn’t have to compose all the guitar parts by himself or do solos all the time. On the other hand he offers some intensely political lyrics, extremely penetrating and often very personal like in Poison Was the Cure that’s about his drug addiction and whose lyrics are shocking.

In general everything is almost perfect with this album and the only arguable thing is the vocals. Either you will love them or you will hate them. I tend towards the first. Go Dave! The production has been done by Mustaine and Dave Clink and is crystal clear providing the field for the instruments to sound very heavy.

The top moments of the album are… what the hell am I saying? Every song is a diamond and it’s impossible to leave one out. The metal massacre begins from the very first riff of Holy Wars…The Punishment Due. The fantastic intro based on the guitars and pounding drums create a war atmosphere and Megadeth take heads and break necks as you can’t stop headbanging to the thrash rhythms of the song. Nick Menza is tremendously performing behind the drum kit when he lets his galloping horse rhythms but also when he decides to hold the reins. The inspired breaks will not leave you bored not for a second. This one is a blaster!

Take No Prisoners is a war song with all its sense. From the machine-gun guitar playing to the freaking war lyrics of “going to war, give ‘em hell, D-Day, next stop Normandie” the track explodes and obliterates everything. Friedman delivers excellent riffs and solos and is proved to be the best choice for the band.

Hangar 18 is not as speedy as the foretold ones but surely is one of the most interesting as it deals with a subject we all are intrigued; alien existence and the secrets hidden from us by the governments of the world. And if you have seen the video of the song, it becomes more and more exciting.

Poison Was The Cure is a very personal track, self-explanatory of the shit-hole Mustaine had fallen into some time before. The guitars thrash all the way and the three minutes it lasts pass with great delight. It is a typical Megadeth thrash song which leaves you breathless and shattered. Dawn Patrol is a small bass and drums theme that clears the path for the closing track, the masterpiece called Rust In Peace…Polaris. Menza enters with a technical drum intro and the heavy guitars follow to spread their nuclear energy upon us. Megadeth’s nuclear submarine has just surfaced and launches its deadly missiles on the metal world.

The rest of the songs have nothing to envy from the previous killers. All of them are bombastic in their own way filling up the space in the best possible way. Looking for fillers? You won’t find one in here! Nine superb songs, including Dawn Patrol, equally good and inspired leave no doubt that Megadeth are at their best and Rust In Peace is an album essential for every metal fan that respects himself.

Almost a classic. - 82%

caspian, December 11th, 2008

Megadeth’s best shot at getting on top of the thrash heap was with this album; Metallica and Slayer had peaked four or so years ago (Anthrax never being any competition to these three), thrash was probably at it’s commercial apex- or at least pretty close to it- it was the perfect time to strike. It wasn’t a bad attempt, but various head-scratching ideas in this album stop it from being the definitive statement that Megadeth probably hoped it would be.

Let’s not waste any time and go to the most obvious point here: Megadeth absolutely suck(ed?) at mid paced riffs. It’s no coincidence that the best tracks and moments here are when restraint is abandoned and Mustaine and co. construct strange and beautiful towers of fast paced thrashing ecstasy. Perhaps it’s just because Mustaine’s vocals are more audible (never a good thing) when things get slower and more melodic, maybe it was a poor attempt at copying Metallica’s AJFA when Megadeth were always better at being faster and more violent. Who knows? Regardless, they’re pretty much consistently terrible and there’s a lot of them. Holy Wars is good enough proof; the opening is pretty much the best thing ever, but come the "know it all scholar" bit things start going down hill quickly, and we’re treated to a few awful momentum-sapping minutes of Mustaine doing some truly horrible wailing while a bunch of really meandering riffs crap on your thrash boner. Perhaps it’s because at this point Megadeth still weren’t any good at making hooks, I dunno. Attempts at slower choruses and catchy mid paced riffs just consistently fail; Hangar 18’s vocal lines and riffs aren’t really any good until the solo section comes along, likewise Five Magics is pretty much anti-catchy for a time. Lucretia being the most mid tempo of all of them, and also the most awful; before some redemption is found in the solo the riffs are average and vocals ruthlessly terrible, Mustaine doing his best wailing cat/ozzy tribute. It’s a really terrible song that’s possibly even worse then the horrible interlude that’s Dawn Patrol.

Anyway, a lot of this record is pretty excellent; Take no Prisoners has some fairly awful gang vocals (Urinate them! Masturbate them!) but otherwise is pure thrashing orgasm; fast, super choppy riffs with a rather strange structure to the song that keeps you guessing throughout- not a verse/chorus and more a long build where everything gets increasingly choppy, chaotic and awesome. Continuing this "choppy and fast is where it’s at" theme, Poison was The Cure is quality; slow bass intro (pretty sure DooM ripped this off?) gives way to massive hammer on riff times before Friedman goes crazy. He’s in rare form on this album; shredding up a total storm- consistently fast and pretty technical but always fairly melodic and purposeful. I’d say that based on my "extensive" (haha) knowledge of thrash this has the best lead guitars of any thrash album. People are always pretty keen on the solo in Tornado of Souls- fair enough, it’s pretty cool; but I’d reckon Poison was the Cure is his best moment here, it’s relatively short and not quite as epic as the aforementioned Tornado, but it’s pretty much a totally perfect solo without a note out of place; lead guitar perfection in the 32 or however many bars it goes for. It’s an ideal mix of speed and compositional skillz throughout the album; I wish this dude could’ve played on every single thrash album.

For 80% or however much of the album, the instrumental work is either faultless or pretty damn close to it. Rhythm section’s tight, Mustaine’s guitar contributions (when playing fast stuff) are of a consistently high quality, honestly when everything comes together it’s a real sight to behold; a glorious, super intricate sort of noise, like a truck carrying fifty guitars and three drum kits rolling off a cliff. The title track’s probably where everything works the best, huge guitar riffs and a catchy chorus (!!!!) holding sway before all hell breaks loose in the last half. The last half’s a bit overlong and repetitive, but having said that I’m a big fan of overlong and repetitive stuff, especially when the riffs are of as good a quality as they are here. Fantastic stuff. If the vocals were as good as the instruments, you’d have an amazing album.

Not to be, though. Those familiar with metal will know that throughout it’s history there’s been a rather perplexing tendency to willingly overlook, or even praise terrible vocalists; Ozzy, that dude in Diamond Head (Sean Harris?), Varg, Akerfeldt, the dude in Agalloch. There’s millions of ‘em (literally) and I’d say the figurehead of the bad-vocalist apologetics movement would be our man Mustaine. I can appreciate that he was too busy writing awesome thrash riffage here to bother about good vocal lines, and perhaps Megadeth couldn’t afford enough studio time so Mustaine had to record the vocals when he had a cold; alternatively they hired a 13 year old to do the vocals, as a joke. Regardless: they are awe-inspiring in their shittiness. Upon hearing Mustaine’s first vocal line a bunch of questions will undoubtedly enter your mind: Did I accidentally buy/download the Anal Cunt parody of the real thing? Perhaps these are the backing vocals? Will he start singing properly in the chorus? Why did they hire a 13 year old? How is it possible to write such bad vocal melodies? Why didn’t Mustaine bring another vocalist in? And so on and so forth. The vocals are horrible; whiny, nasal tones that struggle to get anywhere near the required pitch, devoid of any power (Dawn Patrol being an amusing example of this; hear Mustaine painfully struggle to get as deep as possible) and just overall terrible on a level you’ve never heard before. Mustaine: he’s an objectively horrible vocalist, no two ways about it.

It’s a real shame that the vocals blow as hard as they do. It’s a real shame that these guys developed a boner for mid paced riffs. There’s a lot to love about this album- a few songs and plenty of moments of near-perfection- but likewise there’s a lot about this that’s just straight out annoying, and while that accentuates the good parts it also makes them more frustrating. Mustaine is clearly a really gifted songwriter and guitarist, and the rest of Megadeth had a level of mastery on their instruments that’s rarely seen. As it stands though this is good, maybe even great, but not the "holy crap guys best thing ever" that they had intended it to be. I’d still recommend you buy it post haste, though.

Tries Too Hard - 62%

super_bum, September 20th, 2007

This album is completely disappointing. The amount of praise it receives is largely undeserved and the hype surrounding it leads to high expectations, followed by reactions of “That’s it?! That’s what all the big fuss is about?!” The only comprehensible reason why this receives so much adulation may be due to the virtuosic musicianship and the frequent catchy moments. Beyond that however, it’s a crapshoot whether one will find anything else of redeemable quality. There is just too much of a certain attitude about this that inhibits Rust in Peace (RIP) from what otherwise would have been a brilliant masterpiece. As a result of this attitude (which will be addressed later), certain songs seem forced, and the album just fails to unify into a cohesive whole.

The most immediate characteristic that will instantly grab anyone’s attention is the very proficient musicianship. Every Megadeth member of this era displays an incredible ability to perform whatever riffs and rhythms the moment may call for. From catchy mid-tempo riffs, to lightning-fast thrash numbers. Every instrument is played with a keen sense of harmony among them; never overly complicated and always with a fine instinct for melody. RIP is probably the most technically adept Megadeth album. Unfortunately, it sure isn’t their best.

Despite the overall catchiness and practiced technical restraint, there is a substantial amount of quality left to be desired. Dave and crew simply tried too hard at striking a balance between the technical and the memorable, as opposed to letting it occur naturally. As a result of this, certain songs come across as forced. At times, they even become painfully sterile, and truly test the listener’s patience. Holy Wars is particularly bad at this. So is Lecretia, Five Magics, Tornado of Souls and the over-praised Hangar 18, whose solo-after-solo towards the end becomes nerve grating. In these particular songs, the ‘Deth crew abuses the power metal-style of melody, and creates riffs that come across as overly consonant. There is just no real distinguishable contrast between each riff to make them truly interesting beyond the initial impression of “that’s catchy”.

The rest of the songs on this album will range from average, to borderline greatness. Take No Prisoners manages to live up to its name. Of equal quality is Poison was the Cure and the reasonable title track. These songs actually fair quite well as thrash laced with power metal melodies.

The reason RIP falls a long distance from greatness is because Dave ‘n crew placed too much emphasis on writing good, catchy, talent-oriented metal, but not enough on wholly unified compositions. The songs seem to be missing climaxes, build-ups, and interplay between varying levels of tension. Despite the average length of these songs and their complex nature, they feel incomplete. It is as if though the simply did not realize their full potential. The fact that these are professional musicians we’re dealing with here makes RIP even more frustrating. All in all, the songwriting here, while complex and varied, manages to be unfulfilling. Climax build-up and release should have played a much more prominent role than simply writing catchy, technical stuff. As a result, RIP sounds bloated and over-ambitious.

The main reason why RIP feels forced may have something to do with the audience they geared their music towards. This is the attitude that led to over ambition and subsequent disappointment. They tried to hard to impress any normal bloke that may come across this. Every riff of every song clearly exhibits an attempt to impress even the most casual listener. This attitude is really what restrains this album down; preventing it from becoming a masterpiece. It’s a result of wanting to make a batch of songs for metal heads of all tastes. With an attitude like that, it makes a bit difficult to take this thing seriously.

There is not much else that can be said about RIP. What made previous efforts such as Peace Sells…. But Who’s Buying? a triumph was it’s relentless pursuit of high quality music worth listening to; regardless of what some fan base might say. It didn’t try to appease to anyone’s taste. It simply surged from beneath the ground and laid waste to unsuspecting ears. RIP finds Megadeth hopelessly pursuing the praise of an audience; as a result, the music suffers greatly.

Quite Possibly The Greatest Album Ever - 100%

HumanShred84, August 31st, 2007

Yes, I am not the slightest bit exaggerating with the title of this review. I seriously believe Rust in Peace is probably the best album ever. I have lots of albums I really love. I know albums that I listen to a lot that are heavier. I know albums I listen to that are faster. I know albums I listen to a lot that are more technical. Not that all three of these musical traits aren't present on Rust In Peace of course, but never in my life have I heard an album with more focus, better composition, and more memorable songwriting than Rust In Peace by the great Megadeth. And while Megadeth did some excellent stuff both before and after this, they have yet to scale these heights again...this is just absolutely phenomenal...

So enough flash...why exactly is Rust In Peace so amazing? To sum it up...it is basically everything that is great about metal in a nutshell and more. For one thing, this album is EXTREEMLY heavy. The guitar tone (not to mention the production) is fantastic. Crushing and distorted but never "too heavy", creating the effect of a "blur" sound *cough*Kreator*cough*. The entire album has a very” spacious”, big sound that is perfect for the sonic atmosphere of thrash (all of you “tr00” thrashers who say thrash has to have absolute crap production to be thrash are totally wrong). The album can be extremely fast and punishing at times but has an equal amount of that as slow, more crushing riffs, some more high register technical riffs, even some clean passages to break up the whole "distortion" blur. As a result, you get a very multi-dimensional album, one that never sounds repetitive or boring, and makes it accessible to a wide audience. A thrash metal fan would love it just as much as a prog metal fan...but it's the melodicism and memorability of the songwriting that would make even your run of the mill FM Rock Station listener love it.

The songwriting achieves the "perfect balance" factor as well. This album, as mentioned earlier, has all your typical thrash riffs, but also some more progressive-metal ish passages, and even some melodic harmonies that add even more life to the songs. The songs are all extremely intricate and the riffs weave right into each other...yet the band never looses sight of melody, and all of the songs on here can be described as catchy despite the fact they are quite musically complex. Even songs like "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due", "Five Magics" and "Rust In Peace...Polaris" which follow pretty non-traditional structures do not stray too far away from the original song. Basically this album achieves the perfect balance between melodicism and a progressive influence.

The lyrics, like the music, is very varied. You have your typical thrash songs about war and politics (i.e. "Holy Wars", "Take No Prisoners", "Dawn Patrol", "Rust In Peace") done in typical Mustaine fashion (that sort of biting, sardonic satirical thing, usually from the antagonistic POV) and great as usual, but then there’s also songs that show complete different sides of Mustaine’s lyrical abilities. In this album you will also find songs about the occult, aliens, drugs, ghosts, and, most surprisingly for a thrash album, relationships. All of the lyrics sound absolutely perfect for the songs, and this is coming out of a guy who almost never even notices lyrics in music. That’s how good they are.

The fact that Mustaine had an absolutely outstanding set of musicians at his disposal didn't hurt the album one bit. Mustaine himself is a very accomplished rhythm guitarist, as evidenced by tons of very technical riffs on this album, the fact that he wrote them all and put them all together is even more impressive, as he did a marvelous job with this. His lead playing is a bit on the sloppier side, but they aren't that bad and are very memorable and serve the songs well. They sound kind of like “biker” type solos really, somewhat trashy but catchy and well executed shred. Dave's best lead on this album is either the last solo on "Holy Wars" or the last solo on "Lucretia" IMO. His vocals, many other people have complained about, but I find them to be sort of interesting and characteristic; they perfectly fit the words he is singing (he is much better than some utterly horrid thrash vocalists like Tom Araya and Tom Angelripper).

Probably the most impressive member of the band though is new guitarist Marty Friedman. A veteran of the excellent shred-metal ensemble Cacophony, Friedman's leads are simply masterful. Are they fast? Hell yeah. But they are also VERY melodic and serve the songs perfectly. Not to mention Friedman's technique is simply incredible, one of the most fluid, beautiful players ever, and all this while shredding really damn fast. His legato runs and sweep licks on here really display his trademark techniques at their best. He even displays versatility in his playing during the acoustic classical solo in "Holy Wars". He is also, without saying really, an accomplished rhythm guitarist, obviously having to double up all of Mustaines technical riffs. Also on the many guitar harmonies on the album Friedman plays the upper register and keeps in perfect time with Mustaine. A great player is an understatement. Simply a master. It’s hard to pick a stand out solo, their all fantastic in their own way.

Though many may disagree with me on this, the weakest link of Megadeth is definitely bassist David Ellefson. First of all, the bass line on “Dawn Patrol” is not hard AT ALL, I am a guitar player and I can play it perfectly. However that he is the weakest link is saying a lot. Ellefson is still a fine musician. His bass lines on here are pretty intricate and don’t just follow the guitars all the time, they are actually audible too. His off the wall bass lines in songs like “Hangar 18” and “Five Magics” are excellent, I honestly don’t understand why he downplayed himself so much on Dawn Patrol.

Finally we have drummer Nick Menza, another new addition to Megadeth, and certainly a welcome one. Menza is a masterful drummer, probably the best they have ever had (sorry Gar [RIP]). His has very impressive foot speed, yet his drumming is not all about double bass. All his beats fit the music perfectly and he throws in some truly incredible fills throughout every song. Definitely a very underrated drummer right here. I’d like to see Dave Lombardo tackle all those weird meters in “Five Magics”, or even just play the drum beat for the title song (one of the craziest beats I have ever heard in my life and certainly one of the best). His drums sort of have a “mechanical” feel to them which I like for drums especially in metal, but there is reverb going on which fits this albums very “spacious” production value. Another excellent musician.

The album kicks off with “Holy Wars…The Punishment Due” and right from that frantic, technical opening riff you know this album is going to be a winner. It continues with this riff for a while and then Mustaine plays a melodic line over it, making the song even more memorable. The lyrics come in with Mustaine singing about what can be assumed is the Persian Gulf war, a religious war going on at the time of this albums release. It continues in this vein for a while but then all the sudden the song comes to a halt, and Marty Friedman throws in this beautiful Arabic sounding guitar solo, and all the sudden the song changes into this absolutely crushing weird timed riff comes in with Mustaine singing in the weirdest way over it, as odd as it is, it totally makes sense for whatever reason. Then the song goes into a slower riff and Mustaine wails over it, with Friedman taking some excellent, exotic solos between verses, at that point you think, “can this get any better!”, and then it does…after Friedman’s second solo the riff suddenly turns heavy and fast like the first part of the song again, Mustaine takes probably his best solo on the album and then the final verse begins. The melodic guitar line from the intro comes in again and the song ends with Mustaine shouting “next thing you know they’ll take my thoughts away!”…and you are just left at loss for words. An incredible, incredible track.

The next song is the ultimate guitar song, “Hangar 18”. This song is probably closer to progressive metal than thrash metal, with a strong neo-classical influence even in the riffing, based heavily on diminished and 7th chord patterns. The riffs all simply weave right into each other in the intro and it sounds incredible. The lyrics come in, about the infamous Roswell incident. Then the first solo, by Friedman comes in, which is excellent. This pattern continues for a verse, and then all the sudden, the entire key of the song changes and Friedman and Mustaine get into the ultimate guitar battle. The song has a grand total of I believe 11 solos and they are all totally sick, yet the catchy riffs of the album come in between lead breaks to break up to potential monotony of a solo filled song. After Mustaines epic final solo, the song ends. Talk about head spinning. At this point, after only two songs, you know this album is just incredible.

After two ultra-complex progressive songs, the much more straight up thrasher “Take No Prisoners” comes in. This is relatively straight forward compared to the rest of the album, but the riffs are still pretty damn fast and hard to play, after the absolutely metronomic opening riff the lyrics come in, about prisoners of war. The vocals at first are sort of a call-and-response thing between Mustaine and the rest of the band (“got one chance-INFILTRATE THEM”/”get it right-TERMINATE THEM”, etc.) There is a pretty decent, really fast bass solo, and then the song proceeds into a really crazy riff with Mustaine frantically signing over. There are little guitar fills between vocal phrases. Finally the song calms down a little, playing a simpler open chord riff. Friedman goes into one of his trademark harmonic minor solos, and as this is going on the call and response thing comes back with the songs classic line (“take no prisoners-TAKE NO SHIT!”). This continues until the songs humorous ending (the entire band crying “SHIT!”). Talk about a face melter.

If you thought the first 3 songs were technical, then you will be totally unprepared for “Five Magics”. The song starts out with a frantic riff, then goes into a very off the wall but cool sounding bass line, with Menza playing an almost jazz sounding little beat under it. Friedman and Mustaine play a haunting harmony over it twice…before the song goes into it’s “thrash section”. The lyrics seem to deal with the occult, Mustaine speaks of being the “master of five magics”. The riff sounds very oddly timed and put together, but it works really well, with Friedman throwing in his excellent leads between verses as usual. Then all the sudden after 4 verses, a very weird metered riff comes in, with Friedman coming in for another excellent neoclassical solo. Mustaine even sings over it, which is even more impressive, as weird meter riffs like this are hard to coordinate instrumentally even, especially with vocals. Then the song brakes down into a simpler riff, with the whole call and response vocal thing going on again (“give me-ALCHEMY”/give me-SORCERY”, etc.). Then during the “chorus line” comes in another weird time riff, and you have to think “how did they get it this tight”, it is no wonder the band rarely plays this song live, God…then there is a really word call and response thing going on between Mustaine and I believe Ellefson over the songs first thrash riff. Then it goes into a Mustaine solo and ends. This song is just indescribable, all that technicality and rhythmic complexity, yet the song is also CATCHY…this is a the ultimate testament to Mustaine’s songwriting skills.

Following the absolute technical workout of Five Magics is the decidedly shorter, more straightforward track “Poison Was The Cure”, under 3 minutes long, not just a rarity for Megadeth but in thrash in general (at this point in time the average thrash song was between 5 and 7 minutes). It begins with a chord bass line. Then the guitar comes in, and an extremely fast riff comes in. This riff almost sounds more “hard rock” than metal tonally, sort of like Led Zeppelin gone thrash. Mustaines voice comes in for some ultra-fast singing. The song basically follows this format for most of the song and only changes really during the “chorus” breakdowns. The song ends with a solo trade of, both of which are quite good. Though not by any means the albums best song, it is a good, catchy thrasher that is a nice change from the more complex, long songs that preceded it.

The next song up is “Lucretia”. Like “Hangar 18”, Lucretia gives off a more prog/power metal feel due to being played in the higher register. The high register opening riff (which I believe is made up at least partially of harmonics) starts up, then it is sort of expanded on in a weird timed second riff, which is sort of the hook of the song, which is also played in the higher register. Then the vocals come in, and the vocal approach also sounds a little off-kilter, as are the lyrics. The song is about Mustaine finding a ghost in his house and talking to it (apparently his grandmother). After the verse ends there is a bouncy little riff, and then the intro riff repeats itself and goes into the second verse. This same pattern continues into the next post-verse riff, and then goes into another somewhat bouncy sounding riff, and the solo section begins. Friedman’s solo here is decidedly more laid-back than some of his other solos on the album and sounds off-kilter, but fits the song well. Mustaine comes in with an excellent, more shred-oriented solo and then, after the post-verse riff is repeated (and harmonized over) the song ends. A slightly off-kilter but well done and excellent song.

Up next is “Tornado of Souls”. Starting with an immediate hooky palm-mute and harmonics intro, and then going into a hyperactive but melodic riff, this is the most catchy song on the album. After the verse riff plays a few times, Mustaine begins singing. Now something particularly interesting about this song is the lyrics. The lyrics tackle a subject almost completely taboo to thrash metal…relationships. The lyrics seem to revolve around Mustaine just dumping his girlfriend and anticipating hard times ahead. As much as a song like this could fail in music like this, it is executed so well you don’t even know; as it is angry instead of whiny (mall metal bands pay attention to this). The rest of the song is relatively simpler and driving, focusing on that one hyperactive but melodic and almost bluesy riff from the intro. There is an excellent drum fill from Nick Menza in here, and then Marty Friedman’s solo. Unlike the neoclassical, exotic style of most of his solos on here, Friedman’s Tornado of Souls solo is decidedly more melodic and simpler, using basic major scale modes instead of say, a harmonic minor or diminished or Arabic scale that makes up the majority of the solos on this album. It is for the most part melodic, though goes into some excellent sweep sections. It immediately sticks in your mind and is just perfectly executed. The song ends similar to the way it begins. The most hooky and catchy song on the entire album, defying every “rule” of metal…but still excellent.

“Dawn Patrol”, the albums infamous fill track, follows next. It’s not much really musically. Just a pretty simple bass line over a pretty simple drum beat, with guitars appearing periodically, and Mustaine singing in a hilarious deep British accent. Some of the lyrics in here are very darkly humorous and unfortunately accurate (“with the greenhouse in effect, our environment was wrecked”), but it is otherwise skip-able. Still, they could have done much worse with a song like this.

Finally we come to the album’s title track, the lost song on the official album, “Rust In Peace…Polaris”. The song begins with an insane off the wall drum beat but Nick Menza (I can only imagine how long it took him to get it down). The first riff is also a bit unorthodox sounding. Friedman comes in and plays a brief, bluesy fill, and then Mustaine’s vocals, even odder sounding than usual, come in. The song is about nuclear war (the “Polaris” connection is still a mystery to me) and was directly inspired by that infamous bumper sticker that inspired this albums title (“warheads shall all rust in peace!”). After a few verses…the song suddenly comes to halt, another riff comes in. The only lyric from this point on is “eradication of earths population loves-Polaris”, with Friedman throwing an excellent solo after the first round of this, and metronomic riffs fill in the blanks between. Then with a final set of lyrics, and Mustaine doing a sort of death metal scream under it, the song ends with a sustained cymbal hit. Another masterful song and a great end to a completely marvelous album.

The Remastered version also contains a song “My Creation”, which is a decent but relatively uninteresting song, and demo versions of “Holy Wars”, “Take No Prisoners”, and “Rust In Peace”, which are interesting to hear, though none of them are superior to the final recordings. Still, in the end, Rust In Peace is an absolutely incredible album with amazing songs, incredible composition, technical, progressive moments, masterful musicianship, and marvelous focus. I can’t say anything at this point I haven’t said about it. It is a must have for EVERYONE. All metalheads of all subgenres, and non metalheads who just want to hear great rock music, this album is a must have. That’s my final verdict.

Final Rating: 100% (okay nothing is perfect, but this is the closest there is to it)

Reclaiming Ktulu. - 97%

hells_unicorn, April 19th, 2007

The phenomenon of MegaDeth’s “Rust in Peace” is quite a unique one, owing to a long history of tumult following the life of its founder Dave Mustaine and the subsequent line-ups changes that had coincided with it. With perhaps the exception of “Peace Sells” Mustaine’s approach to album creation has been an exercise in pure intuition that seemed to magically align a set of varied influences into a cohesive whole. This can be readily observed in the seemingly out-of-place yet fitting classical piano intro to the debut album, and the host of seemingly unrelated lyrical topics and musical section changes in “So far, so good, so what?” Where this album differs is that it takes the opposite approach and instead creates something that is purposefully structured and more symmetrical.

Although I am personally a bigger fan of Chris Poland’s mellow yet fast approach to soloing, it is clear that Marty Friedman has the edge on chops as well as instrumental storytelling. He acts as a slightly more technical foil to Mustaine’s leads, resulting in a dueling soloist approach that gives a sense of unity between the two, rather than the sense of conflict that manifested itself on the solo sections of “Peace Sells”. Nowhere is this more present than in the cases of the first 2 epic thrashers on the track list, which showcase a variety of stylistic influences from Iron Maiden to classical guitarist Carlo Domeniconi.

Indeed, the entire tone of this album screams epic, not only in the proportion of music found on here but also in the approach to the subject matter covered. Although Mustaine mostly delves into themes of government conspiracy and social awareness in the cases of “Holy Wars”, “Hanger 18”, “Dawn Patrol” and the title track, he makes room for such wildly different subjects such as fantasy in the case of “Five Magics” and what appears to be an analogy to Dante’s 2nd plane of hell and a song of lust and self-destruction in "Tornado of Souls".

The songs do exhibit the same sense of creative freedom and intuitiveness that Dave has always possessed, but the focus has become clearer. “Holy Wars” has an intro riff that immediately grabs the ear, while the vocal delivery that follows over a series of well placed riffs is almost clean in its precision, though raunchy in timbre. The mystical sounding classical guitar interlude provided by Friedman throws the listener for a loop, yet takes nothing from the unity of the song. “Take no prisoners”, “Poison was the cure”, and “Lucretia” are all full speed ahead, uncompromising riff thrashers, the first of which containing a brief bass solo that challenges Joey Demaio’s status as the most out of control soloist on the instrument.

“Five Magics” continues to buck expectations and leads off with an evil sounding intro that reminds a bit of Slayer, followed by an extravaganza of lead lines and some off-the-cuff vocal interchanges. “Tornado of Souls” is the only song that could potentially be described as mid-tempo and comes off as the most memorable and catchy of the bunch. The title track is a thrash epic that sounds longer than the sub-6 minute time length, lyrically depicting the decay of ballistic missiles and attributing the name Polaris (also the name of the trinary star system that is referred to as the North Star) to a weapons system that is given the characteristics of a human tyrant. The only weak link in the bunch is “Dawn Patrol”, which does contain some fancy bass work, but doesn’t work well and contains a rather goofy vocal performance that doesn’t succeed as being humorous or scary.

Although from start to finish this album screams musical brilliance, the greatest song on here is “Hanger 18”. It’s principle chord progression is taken from Mustaine’s compositional contribution to Metallica in “Call of Ktulu”, which has been further elaborated and reclaimed by its rightful owner. The number of varying ideas drawn from this singular progression is quite large, presenting an exciting thrash epic with catchy vocals rather than the repetitive and somewhat overlong instrumental of its predecessor which was mostly a song displaying Cliff Burton’s technical prowess. The solo section and riff interchange at the end bears much resemblance to the classic Maiden epic title track off “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”, although a bit faster and lacking any keyboard tracks.

So the question is simply, is this album worthy of all the praise? Absolutely, but I must differ with the majority of the MegaDeth faithful whom say this is their best. When I listen to “Peace Sells” I hear absolute perfection by way of chance, when I listen to this I hear near perfection through intentional effort. It is a great album, one of the best in its genre, and if you get the re-mastered CD you’ll be treated to hearing a fine bonus song in “My Creation” and 3 songs off this album with Chris Poland doing leads. Mustaine has succeeded not once, but twice now in surpassing his former band mates in Metallica, and to this day continues to outshine them, regardless to what album sales and conventional wisdom say to the contrary.

Perfection - 100%

Vlachos, March 11th, 2007

If I were to give percentages to albums based on how I rank them, 100% being the absolute best and 0% being the worst, I wouldn’t regret giving this 100%. I don’t hand out percentages that way though; I prefer to score albums on their worth. I don’t think this will be the only album I review and give a perfect score to, but this is my favourite, bar none.

Rust in Peace is the supreme example of how to create an album using a slew of styles from the decade that preceded it, and how to master each style. This is why there could not have possibly been an album this good in 1986, or anytime in the 1980s for that matter; metal had just about reached its peak in creativity in the late ‘80s and it wasn’t until this album came along that anyone had looked back, evaluated the landscape, advantageously implemented styles into their work, find a way to expand upon ideas even further and go the next step further by making the most of the entire band’s talent. That’s one hell of an accomplishment, and there isn’t any album from 1990 that has the same replay value; Slayer’s ‘Seasons…’ wasn’t even an improvement from past releases, Pantera’s ‘Cowboys…’ seldom deviates from the same idea carried throughout and Priest’s ‘Painkiller’ doesn’t quite match the energy that this has. And they’re all excellent efforts.

(Ironically enough, many of these songs had been written years prior to the LP’s release, with some even dating back to 1982 according to Dave. Imagine if the title track had been unveiled 1983 or so! Brutality!)

As expected, thrash is a key element yet still manages to compliment everything else. Take No Prisoners exemplifies the over-the-top attitude and musical execution of bands like Overkill and Anthrax; there are some complex rhythm and lead stops throughout, catchy lyrics and a great chant-along at the end. It may be the simplest track (except for Dawn Patrol) but it’s still very detailed in execution. But we’re not even into the rest yet! Polaris is more mid-paced than speedy, but the riffs are monstrous and thrashy without being pretentiously heavy. And then, near the end, it does get fast. Very riff oriented. After its calm, concentrated opening, Poison Was the Cure is just straight-forward, mind-numbing thrash bordering on speed metal, and ends with solo (and there are A LOT of those throughout the album). And when Five Magics gets going, damn. This one’s an often overlooked classic; there are so many catchy lyrics, wild, blistering solos (yet despite their aggressiveness are technically proficient), an intense little break towards the end of the song and beneath it all a crazy time signature. Words cannot do this song justice.

And the forerunner to all of this? Holy Wars.

Fucking Holy Wars.

If this isn’t my favourite thrash song ever... no, it is. How the fuck is Dave playing this while singing? The riffs may not be the fastest out there, but they may very well be most memorable out of every thrash song I’ve heard. The riffs go on for a minute and a half before even getting to the vocals and still and it keeps on going without becoming boring at all. This completely changes after “Holy Waaaarssss” when the riffs change to a slow, deliberate pace. This section totally commands your attention. And of course, when it all keys back up again it’s back to the riffs with an awesome Friedman solo. Game over. Along with Tornado of Souls, this is the highlight of the album.

On the flipside of the coin is the catchier stuff which is all a mix of power, speed and straight-up heavy metal. Lucretia has a heavy emphasis on the lead work and features YET ANOTHER awesome solo. These just keep on coming! And of course, the song’s about the ghost that lives in Dave’s attic.

Amazingly, Friedman manages to top that solo in Tornado of Souls, and it’s arguably Megadeth’s greatest. Tornado contrasts from Holy Wars’ execution not only in the style of music, but the flow; Holy Wars plunges forward, slows down and starts up again whereas Tornado doesn’t let up. It isn’t the fastest track on the album, but the guitar work is almost too cacophonous to describe (and Friedman’s from Cacophony, how about that).

And of course… Hangar 18. This is very reminiscent of Iron Maiden in the verses and such, but then the time signature changes, and then changes some more. Can you say “Dueling solos”? Solo after solo after solo after solo after solo after solo. After solo after solo after solo.

After solo.

This is perfection, right here. Everything good about the ‘80s was duplicated and then enhanced and expanded. Here, thrash becomes calculated, technical and catchy; technicality becomes aggressive and riotous; intelligent, provocative lyrics become memorable tunes that you’ll never forget. I give it my highest recommendation.

The best of thrash metal, bar none - 100%

Mikesn, March 3rd, 2007

Megadeth is a band every metalhead knows. Whether you're a fan of thrash or not, chances are you've at least heard of Dave Mustaine's infamous feud with colossal metal band, Metallica. The feud, in a way, helped create the band that Dave Mustaine has toiled in for over twenty years. Dave started Megadeth to get back at his former band mates (and because he was no longer in a band, but most people tend to ignore this). Dave wanted to be faster, heavier, and more successful than Metallica. Save for mainstream success, he pretty much succeeded with the band's 1990 release, Rust in Peace. Heavy, fast, technical, Rust in Peace has it all, and is widely considered to be one of thrash metal's finest albums.

Songwriting is top notch on Rust in Peace, and is anyone really surprised? Back in the day Dave Mustaine wrote some of the thrashiest riffs on albums such as Kill 'Em All, Killing is my Business, and Peace Sells…But Who's Buying. But he steps up is performance on Rust in Peace. Each song on the album, save Dawn Patrol (a song with just drums, bass, and vocals), contains the best riffs Dave has ever written. Just check out the album's third song, Take No Prisoners. The song is very fast, and contains violent riffs, perfect for headbanging. Another excellent example of Rust in Peace's riffs is the fourth song, Five Magics. The song has a blistering two minute instrumental before Dave Mustaine's vocals kick in, leaving the band an excellent opportunity to show their stuff. If you're a fan of thrashy riffs than look no further than Rust in Peace.

Another big reason why Rust in Peace is such a good album is guitarist Marty Friedman. Marty's skill on the guitar is by far the highest of any member of Megadeth; past, present, and most likely future. By pairing Marty Friedman with Dave Mustaine, Megadeth suddenly had one of the most potent duos in the scene. Need proof? Just check out the last two to three minutes of the second song on the album, Hangar 18. The guitar-off between Marty and Dave is one of the album's best moments. Another impressive solo from Friedman comes up during Tornado of Souls. Quite possibly my favourite solo of them all, it is one of Marty's more melodic solos. The actual solo is slower than a lot of the other solos you'll find on Rust in Peace for the most part, but just as enjoyable, proving that Marty doesn't have to shred to impress.

Many people who listen to Megadeth are not fans of Dave's vocals. It's not too hard to see why, especially on songs such as Take No Prisoners and Poison Was the Cure. While they aren't bad outings, Dave's snarling vocal technique at times feels incoherent (as in Poison Was the Cure) or just plain bad. However he shines during at certain moments too. Dave has some of his best vocal outings in the opening track, Holy Wars…The Punishment Due, particularly during the latter, as well as Tornado of Souls, which is perhaps the most emotional song on the album. That sad, I only have the remaster version of the album, which features different vocal tracks on some of the songs, so I'm not sure how good or bad his vocals are in the original.

If I had any complaints about Rust in Peace, it would be the song lengths. Some of the songs are too damn short. Poison Was the Cure is an excellent song and builds up great momentum, yet is only 2:56 long. Lucretia, another superb effort from the band just misses the four minute mark, which is disappointing, as it is one of the album's most enjoyable tracks to listen to. The only track I can safely say that I'm glad is short is Dawn Patrol, which seems more like a filler than anything else. As mentioned before, the song consists only of drums, a bass line, and some of Mustaine's worst vocals. Ever. The song clocks in at 1:51, which is more than enough time.

Overall, Rust in Peace is a thrash classic, and easily Megadeth's best album. It features Megadeth at their best, with technical riffing, very impressive shredding and soloing, and some nice bass work. Though Megadeth doesn’t fall completely off the face of the planet with their next album, as hard as they try the band will not match their maximum opus, Rust in Peace, nor do they even record an album that sounding similar. The band claims that the next Megadeth album could fit into the band's RiP - CtE era (as well as some more commercial elements), but can it top Rust in Peace? Unlikely, but we'll just have to wait and see.

(Originally written for Sputnikmusic)

Megadeth Does It Again - 100%

NecroWraith, February 12th, 2007

Megadeth’s best? Perhaps. Either way, it’s tied for first place with ‘Peace Sells.’ In my book, these guys are (were?) the masters of thrash. Metallica can’t even compare to them. Metal Church comes close, but no. Dave Mustaine is a genius at songwriting, and this album proves it.

There is usually only one album of each genre that deserves a score of a perfect 100. For example, in the power metal genre, that honor belongs to Helloween’s Second Keeper. In traditional metal, that’s Dio’s ‘Holy Diver.’ In thrash… we have Rust In Peace. This album is thrash perfection, and let me start of by complimenting the songwriting.

Songwriting is definitely something that deserves compliments, and PLENTY of them. Mustaine is… just… amazing. No other way to describe it. The solos are flawless. The choruses are flawless. Everything here is just as it needs to be. All the songs open up great. Let’s take Megadeth’s hit ‘Hangar 18,’ for example. It opens up in a fairly simple series of power chords; easy riffs, yet highly memorable. The percussion in the background is perfect, slowly building up the necessary atmosphere, and then the song erupts into a solo. Then another. Then another. At a minute into the song, Dave Mustaine starts to sing, “Welcome to our fortress tall!!!” At a minute and twenty seconds the chorus starts, and soon after more solos. The transitions between the openings, solos, choruses, and closings of each song is so smooth and flawless. There is no sudden halt, a split second pause, and then a jump to a chorus, as I see happening very often on trash records. Nothing of that sort here. Mustaine wrote is all perfectly.

Of course, there’s the production that needs some compliments too. As always should be expected from Megadeth, the production is crystal-clear. The mixing, especially that of the guitars, is also worthy of praise. The drums mixed in the background are nice and crunchy, without drowning out either the guitars or Mustaine’s vocals, so this is definitely a great success.

Another great plus of this CD is the overall quality of each song. As you might probably guess from the perfect 100 score, there are no fillers on this album. Each song is a success, and that’s a rare thing indeed. All the way from the legendary ‘Holy Wars… The Punishment Due’ to ‘Rust In Peace… Polaris,’ each song is a trash masterpiece, and I never find myself wanting to press the skip button. Listening to this whole album, beginning to end, is definitely not a problem.

Ahh, that is one point I cannot stress enough. This whole album is filled with classics BEGINNING TO END. As I mentioned, it starts with ‘Holy Wars,’ an unforgettable Megadeth classic. Then it goes to ‘Hangar 18,’ perhaps Megadeth’s most known song off of this album. Next we get ‘Take No Prisoners…’ Another classic. More great songs, more greats songs, until we get to the killer off the album, ‘Rust In Peace… Polaris.’ (Have you ever wondered how come Megadeth uses so many periods in so many track titles? This always baffled me…)

Obviously, guitarplaying on this album is godly. I shouldn’t even need to go over this, but I have to make clear. NO ONE SHREDS LIKE MEGADETH. Both Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman are two incomparable guitarists, and the chances of both such legends being in the same band is nothing short of amazing. Each riff is new and fresh. Each solo better than the last; original, fast, and memorable.

Yes, Megadeth’s ‘Rust In Peace’ has it all. This is the album that first got me into thrash, and forever will remain amongst not only my favorite thrash albums, but my favorite albums of all time. It’s a shame no one writes stuff like this anymore, and it’s another shame Megadeth never again came close to writing such a work of art.

-Marcin C.

Celebration of Skill - 97%

erickg13, February 4th, 2007

Megadeth followed up their mildly disappointing 1988 album “So Far, So Good…So What?” with the masterful 1990 album “Rust in Peace”. But once again between albums the guitarist, this time Jeff Young, and drummer, this time Chuck Behler, where fired and replaced, just as the same happened after “Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying?”. Who replaced theses vacant spots? Well, on guitar you have “the purple and pink haired” Marty Friedman, best known for his shredding prowess displayed on his 1988 solo album along with his work with Jason Becker in Cacophony. Nick Menza, a relative unknown was brought in to fill the vacant drummers chair. Little did Megadeths fans, or did the guys in Megadeth themselves realize that this lineup would become the most skilled, hailed, stable and critically successful lineup in Megadeth’s history.

But let’s return to “Rust in Peace”. Simply put this is one of the single most explosive displays of virtuous talent, brilliant songwriting, and one of the most cohesive thrash metal albums ever!

And of course with the addition of Marty Friedman, the fret work on this album is the highlight. Both guitarists seem to have a defined role that each is comfortable with, making the tag team effort of each that much better. Both Mustaine and Friedman burn through amazing fret burning solos with ease and impeccable speed due to their collective jaw-dropping skill.

Also, with the addition of more skilled instrumentalists, Megadeth could write and execute more complex, challenging compositions, clearly evident on “Rust in Peace”. Also, with this new found ability to write and execute more complex music, the focus shifts away the lyrics or vocals, which have never been a strong spot for Megadeth. But that said, the lyrics are fairly good, maybe due to the fact that they don’t have to be the main focus and become more fluent and natural and less forced.

And with all the focus on the guitars it’s easy to imagine that the rhythm section of bassist Dave Ellefson and drummer Nick Menza are merely second though on this album. But they aren’t, the guitars on this album are the highlight, but without the rhythm section those guitars would devolve into aimless shredding. The rhythm is a driving force and helps the guitars in turn become much more interesting. So in many senses the rhythm section is just as important on “Rust in Peace” than any other part.

As for highlight material, you don’t have to wait that far to find it, as the first two songs, “Holy Wars…The Punishment Due” and “Hangar 18”, respectively, are absolute killer tracks! The rest of the tracks aren’t a letdown by any means, but in a sense, they are almost too consistent. Not that they sound the same, it’s just that one of the things that made some Megadeth albums good was the range of material. “Take no Prisoners” is another standout, along with the title track “Rust in Peace…Polaris”.

Overall, “Rust in Peace” is one the best albums that the thrash era graced us with, and is one of Megadeth’s finest moments. If you ever want to call yourself a true fan of Megadeth, this album is essential.

The Celebrated Shred Fest - 97%

DawnoftheShred, December 10th, 2006

I don’t consider this Megadeth’s most classic album, but it’s damn near close. With the addition of Marty Friedman on lead guitar, Megadeth became pretty much the most talented and most technical thrash band of their time. Rust in Peace is easily among the genre’s fastest, heaviest, and most intricate offerings and pretty much an undisputed example of thrash metal virtuosity at its finest.

Naturally, the guitar work is the highlight of this album. The riffing is fast and intricate, as is the songwriting. Some of the band’s most complex passages are included here and definitely some of their heaviest rhythm work. Guitar solos are frequent and unbelievable. Every one is beautifully crafted and masterfully written. The Mustaine/Friedman tag team is the band’s most complementary duo, their lead styles mixing incredibly well. And guitar solos are definitely frequent. “Hanger 18” has something along the lines of eleven individual solos by itself. The guitar work is indeed amazing, but benefits greatly from killer drumming and bass throughout. Great fills throughout for the drums and the bass gets a lot of rhythmic highlights. A solid performance from both.

The songwriting is in top form here as well. Lyrics are awesome, song construction is brilliant, and tempos are dynamic. No two songs have the same feel, a bit of a rarity among thrash metal. Mustaine’s vocals aren’t going to blow you away, but his snarl is welcome here, especially considering the lyrical subject matter. The anti-political sentiment expressed on previous albums culminates to its fullest here and the result is quite memorable and surprisingly topical even today, though the lyrics don’t dwell on the subject for the whole album. The songs are just as varied, most notably the entirely bass driven “Dawn Patrol.” Some don’t like its inclusion, but it definitely fits the mood of the album, if its not an outstanding track in and of itself.

Overall, we have another solid album by one of thrash’s greatest contributors. This album’s lineup would go on to become the band’s longest lived, though not necessarily the most consistent. Regardless, this album is amazing. Pretty much an essential listen.

Classics: Holy Wars/The Punishment Due, Hanger 18, Take No Prisoners, Lucretia, Rust in Peace/Polaris

Universally adored for a reason - 95%

OlympicSharpshooter, August 26th, 2004

If you've read my Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? review, you may recall that I said that I felt that record was their best. I'd like to say right now that I'm not entirely sure what was going on in my head at the time, but that I can now say that I was wrong. That's not to say that Peace Sells isn't damn good, because it has some killer songs like the title track, "My Last Words", and "Good Mourning/Black Friday", but for all it's quality and charm, it can't beat this sparkly wall-o'-thrash Rust in Peace. This album is one of the most melodic thrash records that I have ever heard, everything scintillating hi-fidelity and most of the riffage emphatically light and blitzkrieging, even the trademark Bay Area crunch bits coming off as nimbler than even their more progressive rivals, although the trade-off being that they seem quite a bit less heavy.

There really aren't many albums out there like this to my ears, just this strangely virtuosic melodic speed, Marty and Dave not necessarily playing more complex than others, but perhaps simply playing more thought-out music at high speeds, because even the shredding when it comes it usually hooked to soaring harmony leads (and when, they cut like knives), Indian flavours, and jazz-based noodling that bust out unpredictably but generally with a modicum of logic. Perhaps my favourite lead on the album comes on "Lucretia", because it's so slow and drawn out despite the speed of the riffery in the background, a good minute and a half of amazing soloing stuffed into a highly underwritten track until the whole thing seems fit to burst like an overheated pizza pop, yet mysteriously stays a whole perfectly. In fact, many of the riffs sound like solos because they're so note-dense and often so lead-based, which just leads to this feeling of a veritable symphony of guitars. Not only that, but on tracks like "Five Magicks" they seem to cram thoughtful solos intro every available space, and with Friedman's touch it works perfectly.

In addition, the band has a secret weapon in Dave Ellefson, because whether or not he's the most technically adept player out there (I wouldn't know) his sound is lovely. The intro to "Poison Was the Cure" is simple, but I just love that warm, full bass line, unhurried and tight as the guitars solo around him slowly build before introducing a great, fast drum and superbusy riff, pointedly showing you kids how to build a mood. Furthermore, when he's given a chance to do a solo spot he's magic, his little "Take No Prisoners" bass run being a beautiful piece of business.

Yea and verily, the songs (and more importantly here, the riffs) are top-notch, each song section virtually independent of the whole, "Hanger 18" lyrical section a brief intro to the shredding solo-fest on the back-half, "Take No Prisoners" exhibiting a shoddy first verse before morphing into a near perfect thrash assault as annoying melodies are exchanged for a short multiple-solo break as segue to a completely different and infinitely superior second verse. It's funny that the sprawling "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due", despite it's abrupt shift at the midway point feels more cohesive than say, "Five Magicks" which rambles off into a half-dozen sections that hit and miss with equal frequency.

"Tornado of Souls" is the only real conventional song on here when all's told, the other candidate "The Dawn Patrol", a highly abbreviated bass with Dave's strange English accent, being so far out of the headspace of any other thrash act, hell metal act, that it becomes worthless to compare it to anything else. There is something about this very strangeness that makes RiP such an enduring album, something more being the sheer riffing genius of the thing of course.

To be fair, I've got some problems with this. The tracks are really underwritten, a verse or two before more breakdowns (I swear they fit Dream Theater's six-minute "Metropolis" break into thirty seconds on some of these tracks), some of the song structures here being more than worthy of getting some more writing time, an example being "Poison Was the Cure" which could've used either another two-verses of equal length or a re-read of the existing ones. There aren't enough choruses here either, the only one with a significant one (outside of "Rust in Peace...Polaris") "Tornado of Souls" having such a great one that it hurts that we only get to hear it twice. Also, there is still some goofiness apparent in the monster voice on "Five Magicks" (seriously, it's like a Steel Attack record or something) and the stupid backing vocals (and ending refrain) on "Take No Prisoners" that make me want to curse the 80's in general (did someone say the disc came out in 1990? Quiet, you). Oh yeah, and "The Dawn Patrol" despite having a truly awesome title, seems rather pointless.

However, despite some issues and reservations I have, or rather because every time I hear something incredible on this record (roughly every five seconds) like the chunked-up version of the main "Holy Wars" riff in the back half of the song or the spiralling descending chorus riff on "Rust in Peace" (seriously, it's such a visual riff that one can almost see the bombs dropping) or any hundred other sporadic, unique, and wonderful nuances, I find it in my heart to forgive them for all of those mistakes.

Stand-Outs: “Lucretia”, “Holy Wars…The Punishment Due”, “Tornado of Souls”

Thrash doesn't get much better than this... - 97%

WitheringToSerenity, July 27th, 2004

I don't know what influenced Dave Mustaine and company to create Rust In Peace. Easily one of the most incredible thrash albums I have ever heard but I could go for a slice of it. After the less successful So Far So Good... Megadeth really needed to deliver an outstanding album which they achieved easily. Despite all the hype over this album I still don't consider this album overrated. Its that good. One thing noticable other than the intricate guitarwork is that this isn't the heaviest thrash metal album you will ever hear. This melodic edge to thrash metal might not appease most but they easily make up for this with the amazing guitarwork. Dave Mustaine's vocals are also weak(although I enjoy them immensely) from a metal standpoint but he writes some incredible lyrics and music to make up for this. Which brings us to the other critical aspect to the albums success. The lead guitar of arguably one of the best lead guitarists on the planet Marty Friedman. One thing that propels Megadeth above the zounds of other thrash acts is the barrage of outstanding solo's Special mention to Dave Ellefson for his excellent basslines which is a privilege to hear in great metal music.

Rarely have I seen such a display of such great rhythm and lead guitarwork as with Rust in Peace. From the massive speed riffing of Holy Wars to the insane guitar solo's of Hangar 18 this album is full of excellent music. Megadeth's ability to create songs that sound very different musically is another strong point. Each song is unique and different that is next to never repetitive. I could drag on about how 95% of their riffs are excellent but its an album that needs to be heard to appreciate. With the exception for the short bass passage which is still great each of the songs are outstanding. Its a shame Megadeth was never able to recapture this genius on later albums. I am still grateful that they released Rust In Peace. An undisputed thrash metal classic which I would recommend to anyone interested in Megadeth or metal in general. A must own metal album if I've ever seen one.

Favorite Tracks: Literally all of them but if I were to pick. Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls

Superb melodic power/thrash album - 93%

UltraBoris, August 11th, 2002

This is, as many people seem to note, Megadeth's finest hour. The guitar combination of Mustaine and Friedman are together for the first time, and each puts out probably the finest performance of their respective careers. There are absolutely no weak spots on this album (except one song), and it combines riffs and lead guitar in a way that few albums do.

Highlights - Tornado of Souls is almost Megadeth's finest song, coming in second to no slouch - My Last Words. The ideals are similar, though the solo isn't quite as overwhelmingly Blackmore-like. Still, it owns you, me, and everyone's grandmother. It maintains a combination of melody and intensity that can be found on few albums (Painkiller comes to mind). The seemingly endless guitar duel at the end of Hangar 18 is also a favourite (as is that schweet power-metal intro riff), as is the little acoustic interlude in Holy Wars which then leads into a real bludgeoner of a riffset. On a different note, Poison Was the Cure is an all-out thrasher, as is the second half of The Punishment Due, where it really picks up with that break riff and the soloing, and Polaris also totally bludgeons one over the head with several choice riffs, including - again, the main break - just guitars, and man do Megadeth know how to get that right. (Oh yes, I should mention that on Take No Prisoners, it's a bass break.)

Weak points - well, I've never really seen the point of Dawn Patrol. Other than that, this album is insanely effective. The highlight of Megadeth's career - this is what their previous three albums were leading up to. Five Magics starts off like Hook in Mouth from the last LP, then goes into a little interlude, before busting open again with insane amounts of heavy fucking metal. There's so much going on in here, and even about 12 years and one worn out tape after I first heard this album, I'm still impressed.