© 2002-2022

Megadeth > Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? > Reviews > StainedClass95
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

Greatest Thrash Album - 100%

StainedClass95, July 27th, 2014

For my taste, this is the greatest thrash album of all time. This might seem bizarre to some, but this is the one that registers with me the most. Peace Sells is also the album that got me into Megadeth. This has great riffs, an excellent vibe, very good instrumentation, and good lyrics.

This is a great collection of riffs, probably Mustaine's best. Some have stated that the previous album had a greater variety of riffs, but I'm uncertain. Even if it did, there are more great riffs on this than Killing. Compared to Rust In Peace, these riffs are of a very different nature. Those riffs were of a very technical variety. These riffs thrive off a frantic feel. On songs like the Conjuring, song that got me into the band, the riffing has this intense feel as though they could lose control at any moment. Usually the technical variety would do more for me, but I prefer the frantic on here. Most of these are written by Mustaine, but that's pretty much how Megadeth worked back then.

Normally a one-man band like that would get on my nerves, but it is to Mustaine's eternal credit that he didn't demand the spotlight. He gathered talented musicians around him, and he gave them plenty of breathing room. The solos on here are quite good, and I can more easily distinguish between the two. Poland has an interesting style, jazz adapted to metal. It's common for a rhythm section to do that, but not a guitar. As far as I know, there's Iommi, Poland, and Skolnick. I enjoy various amounts by all these guys, and I will say that Poland's jazz-fusion is very interesting in its own right. Gar is also from a fusion background, but it's not as obvious here as it was on the debut. Don't mistake me, his performance on here is still pretty good, but it's a little simpler than what it was. Dave's bass is very audible on here. If you can't hear him, you're not listening. Aside from his classic intro, he has some very good parts on Devil's Island and Black Friday. In general, I'd actually argue that this is his best performance. He might have grown in technique later on, but this is his most enjoyable.

There is still some of the dirtiness found on the debut, but it works better here. The lyrics aren't of the political nature that he would become known for, but they're more serious than the debut. They possess an underlying sense of social discontent, and this is helped by the grimy production and atmosphere. This would be where the punk influence comes in, as much of this was par for the course in punk a mere few years prior. Mustaine's vocals as well likely have punk origins. I could also draw a parallel to Killers, as a punk-informed metal album, and much like that album there are several songs dealing with the streets. Taken as a whole, the vibe is a very aggressive, punky look at the world.

Mentioning influences, this album is as diverse as the previous reviewers have claimed. Some early Maiden is evident on Last Words, Mustaine's vocal delivery hearkens to Henry Rollins, AC/DC influence is detectable from place to place, aspects of the instrumentation retain its fusion origins, and there's some Priest and Sabbath tossed in for good measure. For most bands, this would be a horrific mishmash. On this album, they make it work quite well and consistently. Even the weak song on here, the blues cover, ends up being quite fun and worth hearing.

There is not a thrash album I enjoy more than this one, only one or two even come that close. As far as metal as a whole goes, this is still easily top five. I would honestly say that this is near mandatory to anyone who enjoys any form of metal. Even if punk or hard-rock are more to your liking, there is enough influence visible that the overall quality could push it over for you.