© 2002-2022

I can't come up with a good title - 98%

Mailman__, April 10th, 2018

One year after their debut record, Megadeth got back in the studio, cooking up one of their biggest records of all time.  "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" is renowned as a thrash metal classic.  It wasn't until 1990, when "Rust in Peace" was released, did thrash metal fans rave over Megadeth so much.  This was released in 1986, a year I like to call "the Year of Thrash."  It was in 1986 when Slayer released their most commercially successful release, "Reign in Blood."  Metallica released what most critics called their peak album from their early years, "Master of Puppets."  Groove metal was invented by Exhorder when they dropped their 1986 demo, "Get Rude."  Other notable albums released were Onslaught's "The Force," Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty," and Sepultura's "Morbid Visions."

It is very clear that this album is a classic.  From the cheesy, trying-too-hard-to-be-tough lyrics of "Peace Sells" to the fast riffage of literally any song on here, there is a reason that this album is considered a classic.  It has the humor that Mustaine brings to the band so well in "Wake Up Dead." It has the technical leads and hammering rhythms of "The Conjuring" and "Good Mourning/Black Friday" that can be traced back to their debut release.  It's everything Megadeth is in one album, and, for only taking a year to write, it's pretty damn amazing.

Let's take a look at the riffs.  So I mentioned they're technical; I am going to reiterate that.  They're technical.  Just take "The Conjuring," for example.  The opening riff is that eerie guitar riff with that groovy bass line behind it.  It becomes this speed metal-infused thrash mayhem that has one of those epic Mustaine solos over it.  In the middle of the song, it decreases in tempo and goes into this breakdown (not the modern definition of breakdown) that is super groovy and is only made better with Mustaine's leads.  This unpredictable song structure can be seen throughout the entire album on each song.  Each riff seems to be thought out considerably more than their previous release.

The production on this album is superb as well.  I can hear every bass line on this album.  This is fairly common for 1980s thrash, but I like to mention it anyways, just because the bass on this album is a large part of what makes this album so good.  I mentioned "The Conjuring" earlier with its bass line in the beginning.  Or the title track, "Peace Sells."  This paragraph exists because of the bass line of that song.  I wouldn't be surprised if every metal bassist on the planet knows how to play or has tried to play the bass intro for "Peace Sells."  It's like the most well-known metal bass intro ever.

To sum things up, this is a technical thrash metal masterpiece - from 1986.  I mean most thrash releases from 1986 were influenced by a lot of punk and NWOBHM acts such as Venom and Savage.  Most tech thrash came out around 1987-1989 (with the exception of Watchtower and, obviously, Megadeth).  So, no only is it an amazing album, but it was also helping to redefine thrash metal as it was known in the 1980s.

Overall Rating: 98%