© 2002-2020

The best in Mayhem's career - 100%

mpvanriper, September 29th, 2011

Let me start by remarking that I’m no Mayhem fan. In fact, I disrespect Necrobutcher and Hellhammer for reviving Mayhem in 95. Shitting on the legacy and legends of Dead and Euronymous by turning Mayhem into a commercial and mainstream metal band; Euronymous must be revolting and rumbling in his grave since this happened. Back then the music of Mayhem was in my opinion good, what they do now is average and completely overrated. (To avoid confusion to the dimwitted masses, I hate Burzum too).
Here we have in my opinion one of the only two Mayhem recordings worth owning, the other being The Dawn of the Black Hearts; the reason for this is simple: DEAD!!!

The band performs two of their best known songs, recorded with the legendary line-up in a proper studio. This time you can really appreciate the abilities of the band as musicians. Euronymous’ tremolo picking, Necrobutcher’s pissed off distorted bass, Hellhammer’s true blasting and most importantly the mighty legend, the myth, the original walking corpse painted freak, Dead.

The guitar tone is thin and eerie, sounds like bee swarm coming to sting you to death. The distorted bass creates a rumble in the background, the marching boots of a host of demons coming to claim you. The drums are a very antique and primitive war machine; perhaps a small tank to slaughter small villages, with rocket launchers and everything (cymbals).

The vocals are mid toned ghastly grunts or growls slightly on the high pitch end. Sinister, sick, possessed. Very… freaky. If I would’ve heard this at age 9 or 10 I would’ve probably shit myself, had nightmares and all kinds of weird crazy shit going on in my head. This very rare recording is the perfect example of why Mayhem were who they were during the late 80’s and early 90’s. Here you can actually appreciate the evil musical genius of Euronymous and the truly demonic vocals of Dead in all it’s infamous and pompous glory and splendor.

Unlike the aforementioned live recording, everything is distinguisible yet retains the dirty garage sound of the demo tapes recorded back then. I dare to say this is the best Mayhem recording of their career. Also the best performance or versions of Freezing Moon and Carnage out there, these are the originals, the true ones, the ones that made those songs anthems for black metalheads like yours truly. The true one and only jewel of the Mayhem catalog, actually buried and forgotten in time by layers of bone and dirt and dust and forsaken just in the memory of few demo tape and bootleg collectors since they never surfaced in a proper formal release, only as a demo tape as a promo sent to different zines and labels before Deathlike Silences came to be.

Nowadays only available in different bootlegs available in the market, most notably “Tribute to the Black Emperors” split with Morbid (Dead’s old death metal band from Sweden like most people know) By the way, Morbid's side of the split is their December Moon demo with Dead on vocals too.

Some label should release this on vinyl or CD (or both!!) and make it available so to preserve these invaluable jewels and milestones of the curse of mental illness known to man as Black Metal.