Why does this single exist? - 0%

_Life_Eternal_, November 25th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2018, Digital, Independent

A totally useless release from Mayhem to remind us that they still exist. It also reminds us they can't write any creative material for a substantial release.

Live in Montreal sounds similar to the much better De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Alive. I mean, the production is worse, but it's otherwise identical. Attila's singing still delivers a convincing and eerie atmosphere, which I will applaud him for, but the others fall flat with a damn passion on this.

Everyone is fighting to be heard. Teloch and Ghul sound more like they're playing in Hellhammer's area, while Hellhammer himself consists of uninspiring robotic thuds, tucked away for some reason. As for Necrobutcher, he's forgotten on every live album anyway. No one cares about the bass at this point.

The songs themselves - Pagan Fears and From The Dark Past - are unexceptional, there's nothing noteworthy on either track. Furthermore, they were carelessly peeled off of one of the many De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Alive gigs that was recorded back in 2017, reinforcing how useless this release is. Since they already have a live album of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, this set was emasculated. Simply transformed into a meager digital single.

Really, there's nothing to be discussed! Live in Montreal is a bastard child of a digital single. It's not worth your time, because there's absolutely nothing interesting in hearing lower quality songs that can be heard in about two or three other formats already. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Alive gives you way more bang for your buck: six more songs to boot, and it sounds much better than this.