Short black - 90%

blackoz, September 26th, 2007

Responsible for the most offensively titled and packaged demo (and later official release) in all of black metal – which is really saying something! – Marduk is a band I’ve tended to avoid. A couple of tracks have turned up on compilations and I’ve had to admit to enjoying them, sucker as I am for the bituminous sludge of primordial black metal.

“Only to be sold on The Deathmarch Tour 2004/2005” the cover says. A limited release? Collectible? Get behind me, Satan! Maybe I could re-sell it for heaps, I considered venally. Eat that, Marduk!

I still have the EP. It’s terrific, I have to say. Nice and short like a shot of black espresso, it hits the senses like a brick, very much similar in pace, sound and attack to fellow Satan boosters, Gorgoroth. The opening track, "Steel Inferno (Alternative version)", blasts forth in the classic vein with Luftwaffe guitars, impossibly fast blast beats and lacerating vocals. Track 2, the (mostly) instrumental "Tod und Vernichtung" is sensational, the ultimate war movie soundtrack with marching drums, sub-floor bass and tenderized guitars, sounding like a well-oiled Tiger Tank. Modern black metal at its best!

Let’s face it: the ultimate black metal comes in demo form and the two tracks offered here are exactly what any squat-dwelling, bullet-belt-wearing, corpsepainted black metaller could want. The obligatory rapid fire click-sticks intro is there, the phone booth acoustics, then it’s rip shit and bust for 2:50 apiece. Tight as a mailed fist and hard to beat. Amazingly, the balance is quite good. You can even hear the vocals clearly. Fantastic stuff.

Whether I buy any more Marduk remains an open question. Maybe "Nightwing" …