© 2002-2020

Epicness Unparalleled - 92%

Mr Matt, December 13th, 2019

"Into Glory Ride" is, well, quite a ride. This was released in 1983. Freakin 1983. Back then, the heaviest bands were Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Diamond Head and early thrash. How Earth shattering this must have been for that time.

When put next to Manowar's other albums, the band demonstrates the great range and diversity of their music while still meeting their standard of being "true metal". A lot of people like to throw the doom metal label on this album and they are right. This album is slower than Manowar's usual stuff. Traditional heavy metal might be a more appropriate title, but doom metal totally works on this. I think Manowar puts a lot of effort on the composing aspect of their music, something I feel like a lot of other bands could work on. There's a difference between composing and songwriting. When someone says "composer" you usually think of classical composers like Bach, Handel, etc., guys that wrote their music note for note on paper. Not saying that Manowar wrote their music down first before recording it cause they probably didn't do that (and in my experience, it doesn't work for metal). When someone says "songwriter" you'll probably think of more modern artists with little technical ability. I see songwriting as focusing on the structure and overall "feel" or rhythm of the song while composing focuses on the notes of the music, mostly done by instruments. Just take a listen to "Secrets Of Steel" and the melody that you would surely catch (pretty sure it's in the chorus, first played in the beginning by guitar and bass before the verse riff). The chord progression/modulation is just brilliant! Pretty sure it's from 0:05 to 0:46 They do something like this again in "Hatred". The famous melody to the words, "My strength is Hatred, torment and pain." I can't keep my mind off of it! This is what happens when you focus on the composing aspect of music! Compare that to "Louder Than Hell" which lacks compositional focus in some songs and instead goes directly to the chugging the root note to whatever chord the band is playing to. If Manowar could have applied what they did on "Revelation (Death's Angel)" to parts of "Return Of The Warlord" or "Brothers Of Metal (Part 1)".

Ross "The Boss" Friedman is one of my favorite guitarists and a guitarist who's style I am pretty good at emulating. Every song had a good solo really, but if I had to highlight the ones that stick out, "Secrets Of Steel", "Gloves Of Metal", and "Hatred" are my picks. Joey DeMaio is an interesting bass player. Some people don't like using picks on basses. Manowar's bass parts can get unorthodox and really call for the use of a pick. I think Joey DeMaio uses an 8-string bass on this album, with each string doubled with a string an octave higher than the four low strings we're all familiar with. I don't know if he uses it on the entire album though. Mr. DeMaio uses this to add a lot of color to the compositional focus of this album and play some bass parts in a higher pitch than what you would normally do on a bass and it sounds beautiful. This truly unleashes the potential the bass guitar can have in a band. If you want to know what I mean, listen to the bass sequence from 2:48-2:56 in "Hatred". He does this a few more times throughout the song. The bass really stands out throughout the whole album so take your pick really. There's a video of Joey DeMaio recording the bass parts to the re-recording of "Battle Hymn" where he uses a bass that fits my description.

Ridiculous? Yeah, I'll give you that, but it's good stuff musically! It's creative, heavy, and brilliant from a compositional/songwriting standpoint. The inspiration it gave to power metal is clear, especially in the album artwork. Even if you hate and dismiss them as a Spinal Tap band, you cannot deny that they truly, truly believe in what they do. They maintain this authenticity at ALL times. My personal liking of metal soared listening to this album, making me never want to give it up. Their blend of great composing, doom metal aspects, great guitar solos, giving the bass guitar more purpose than it has ever had, and of course, glorious melodies make this album one for those looking to strengthen their liking of metal.