Malisoun Rogue - S/T - 50%

Silicon Messiah, April 14th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2011, CD, Inner Wound Recordings

Before settling on the name Malison Rogue, the boys from Nyköping, Sweden, criss crossed between a number of names. They eventually settled, and released their self titled debut in 2011. And the album's not bad, it's just not very great. Opener ‘Friend Or Foe?’ wants to be a power metal song, but is too slow, and almost melancholic in its approach. Instead, I would have put ‘We’re All Born Sinners’ first, with its sing along chorus and refreshing guitar sound. And it’s just a nice tune, basically. Better to open with something uplifting, than something that drags you down. Sure, you need to press in a ballad. ‘My Mistakes’ sucks, no way around it, as Sebastian Johansson pretend emotive vocals make it no justice, and the rhythm section is boring. The solo works, but doesn’t lift the song.

Now that I mention it, guitarist Jonatan Björkborg makes a good album. His riffs – and more often, his solos – are what keeps the music afloat. Had he not been such a good guitarist, the music would have sunk into total obscurity. He doesn’t save every song, however. ‘The Griever’ and the aforementioned ‘Friend Or Foe?’ are dark, with an anonymous feel to them. ‘The Pain You Cause’ is different, as it’s a faster track, with some great leads and an above average effort by vocalist Jansson. I’d rather he show the same enthusiasm and intensity on the entire album. Sure, he’s stable, but not exceptional, even with a voice that could work wonders.

The album doesn’t hook you in until the end. The last three songs are the best on here. ‘Scars’ is the longest track, at about seven minutes. It sees a slower tempo, and some far too short guitar solos that really lift the song, and carries a lot of what the rest of the album lacks. It’s slightly more operatic in feel, a touch which works. Björkborg again saves the day in closing ‘Everything Fades’, which has the best guitars on the album. A duet between Jansson and Johanna Lewerin, it’s another show of what the rest of the album should have been. Unfortunately, the first five tracks feel so standard it simply doesn’t feel worth it. The album’s not totally worthless however, as the last three songs lift it up more than what you’d expect, as well as Björkborg’s solid guitar work.

Standout tracks: Scars, We're All Born Sinners, Everything Fades