© 2002-2020

Easily one of the greatest death metal albums of ALL-TIME. Period. - 100%

Metalrules566, September 15th, 2020

Imagine being in 6th or 7th grade and hearing "Premature Burial" for the first time. That's right—upon listening to this record for the first time it opened my mind up to an entirely brand new world of brutality. I had only heard of thrash bands like Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, and Megadeth at that point and my only death metal influences were Death and Cannibal Corpse (with Chris Barnes). It was that crucial moment of the formative years that would determine the course trajectory of the music that would impact my life in the greatest of ways. Most of my peers were listening to sheer nonsense like screamo (August Burns Red, Unearth, Atreyu, etc...) and would actually make fun of me for being into all things old-school, but I always felt an untamed integrity from this music that kept me following the path it left before me in its wake. This was the kind of music I always wanted to make. I didn't care what year it came out in because it sounded just as fresh and vital to my ears as it still does to this day.

This is surely some of the most violent and ripping metal music you're ever going to hear in your entire life. I already mentioned the song that opened pandora's box for me—"Premature Burial", but you have other deserving classics here such as "Multiple Stab Wounds", "Impaled Existence", "Sacrificial Annihilation", and the title track "Malevolent Creation" that just beckon to be head-banged to by anyone who is worthy of adorning the death metal badge of honor. Brett Hoffman literally kills it behind the microphone and proves to the metal nation that he is one of the greatest death metal vocalists of all-time. He's on Retribution and the much hated Stillborn as well, but I'll get to those records later. What's important is that he sounds absolutely ferocious like he is about to go on a killing spree on this album—especially when he really lets out those demonic screams we all love. The drums are also great along with the guitars for this album as it has that classic early 90's death metal production that harkens back to the year prior with Deicide's magnificent self-titled masterpiece of doom and destruction. It sounds like the band is hungry for infernal glory and aren't going to take any prisoners unless they're willing to sacrifice themselves upon the pillars of the metal Gods. This is pure blood sport with nothing left to remain once the carnal assault is over with other than charred flesh. In this essence, the music fits the album cover perfectly with the imbued chaos to be discovered within.

It brings me great pride to have the opportunity to give this amazing record a perfect 100%. I honestly can think of few albums that have influenced me in such a way. My only hope is that the younger generations will look back and remember their roots so that they can continue to learn from the original lords of this musical style. This is surely one frenzy of malevolence you do not want to miss. Malevolent Creation rightfully deserve their place as one of the greatest death metal acts to have ever existed and if you give this record a chance you'll understand why.