Barely passable. - 48%

Corimngul, April 10th, 2006

Excerpt from the liner notes:
"A mighty salute to our fans around the world. The time is right for a revolution and I know from the bottom of my heart that all together we will be strong enough to show the world that we will fight for our scene and for our desire of freedom. As I once said, you are family to us and I would fight, kill and even die for my family!
Tarek Metal-Son Maghary"

Hmm, right. Don't you hate it when the band calls it a special gift to the fans, but you still have to pay for it?

So what do you get if you put together one upcoming song, a rockier song mentioning the live track on the same EP, five minutes of slow orchestral dragoncheese, the aforementioned live track, which does but glorify themselves and a remaster of an old bonus track? More money, probably, and an EP which isn't half as interesting as the new album, Hellforces.

To cut it short, Majesty plays what is often called True Metal. It is basically Manowar heavy metal (as in Hail To Majesty), but Majesty has more of a power metal sound to it, which comes across in the keyboards, high pitched screams, double-bass and the pompous choruses (the title track and Ride And Fight).

To anyone with at least rudimentary experience of Majesty, this is nothing new. Neither does Guardians of the Dragon Grail prove too surprising. Sure, orchestrals aren't what they usually do, but song structure is the same, lyrics are the same. It's basically what you do for a single. There are female vocals on this song too, and while this draws focus from the overly long song, she's too whiny to receive any gratitude for it.

This limits the number reasons for buying this release to two reasons. One: You're a collecting fan. Two: Make It, Not Break It, which happens to be track 2. Just like quite a few songs on Hellforces, it stands out because it sounds different. Right from the start, even with a similar guitar tone there's some driving force, which creates quality riffs and leads. The obligatory slow part following the guitar solo is a little too slow, though. Still, compared to the other songs one small minus is a rather high score.

Conclusion: Buying is not advised unless
A) It's real cheap
B) You're a collector
C) You really want it
D) Make It, Not Break It never gets featured on some future B-side tracks compilation.