Epos - 100%

promitheas, April 19th, 2008

I had the opportunity, to see Mael Mordha live a couple of days before, here in Athens. Although they played support to one of my favorite bands, Primordial, they forced me by their music to buy their recently album, Gealtacht Mael Mórdha . I have to mention that i had ignorance for this band before. Now I thank my fortune for this luck.

First of all the guys kick ass in live. Their appearance as Skyclads (Ancient Celtic warriors who believe that sky can protect them in battle, so they were painting their naked bodies in blue and white) is unique and well matched with their music.

And the music, ohhh the music is the real thing. For me is the second best epic metal album after Doomsword’s, My Name Lives on, o that I have heard this year. The cd has 7 incredible unique metal songs that they don’t follow the regular structure of couple –chorus, but they pass through a metallic orgasm which is been followed by an emotional escalation. Generally their music can be described as epic doom metal, and if we want to mention some of their influences we could say that Bathory, Candlemass and Primordial are the bands that have stabilized their sound with one or another way.

Let see things more carefully. The opening song is Atlas of Sorrow. It starts with a horn sound and a drum rhythm. After 50 seconds a flute tune is appeared and the song begins with a doom riff .Although, the basic melody of the song it comes from piano witch follows the song at the middle, it is very evocative. The song changes riffs twice before it ends with the second piano’s appearance. Magnificent melody, magnificent song .The next song is Godless Commune of Sodom. It starts again with doom mood and a singer, to follow the riff. But this is the first song where we have increase of speed with a great fast riff to break our neck! The song is ending as it started. Third song and sorry I haven’t words to describe it! The Struggle Eternal is one of the most epic songs that I have ever heard in my thirty years fucking life! Curse of the Bard for the next, and I am admiring the way that these guys write metal. A fast and furious riff breaks, the epic feeling is full and some of you maybe recognize Primordial’’s influences. The fifth song is a phenomenon. A Window of Madness is unique and the best song that has been written the last 5 years. The escalation of the song is just perfect, the melody is fantastic, also we have some brutal vocals in chorus and if I will die in next hour I would listening this fucking song at the end. Just listen it. The last two songs Gealtacht Mael Mordha and Minions of Manannan are two excellent doom metal elegies with unbelievable structure and escalation .Especially Minions of Manannan’s riff reminds me Candlemass stuff.

In conclusion we have an album which great riffs, real metal melodies, very clever use of the lyrics and unique epic metal feeling are its ingredients. Consider also one very good performer (I confess that some times the way that he is singing reminds me Serj Tankian of SOAD), the characteristic use of Celtic flute and piano, plus some parts with acoustic guitar mixed up with doom riffs and travel with them in the holy land of Ancient Ireland.

If I have to choose one song from this album i will say A Window of Madness.
But all of the rest of the songs are just perfect as I said before. Give to yourselves an opportunity and listen to them, and be sure that if you touch them you will all burn!!!