Gaelic Doom Metal! - 92%

Imtormentor, March 25th, 2007

Mael Mórdha is one of the most unique metal bands in the entire world. After all, you won't have much luck finding another Gaelic Doom Metal band...Or a band that dresses up like Gaels from about a thousand years ago with traditional Gaelic clothing with blue body paint for live shows.

I was a bit surprised to see the band had formed back in 1998 and have just recently (past couple of years) began to gain popularity. Gealtacht Mael Mórdha is their second full-length cd.

The cd contains 7 total tracks, including 5 new songs that have never been released and two re-recorded versions of older songs released on separate EPs (Atlas of Sorrow and Godless Commune of Sodom). I was very impressed with the lyrics on the whole Cluain Tarbh album, so I was anxious to hear Gealtacht to see how good of a follow-up it would be. I wasn't let down one bit.

The entire cd is very well-written, but there were three tracks that really caught my attention: "Atlas of Sorrow", "Curse of the Bard", and the title track "Gealtacht Mael Mórdha".

Although "Atlas of Sorrow" surpasses 10 minutes in length, the last 4+ minutes of the song are great. The best part of the entire cd appears on the song "Curse of the Bard" from about 2 minutes into the song until the very end. The riffs are great, but the vocals are the icing on the cake. The entire cd is filled with melodic guitar riffs with a piano and great sounding vocals.

The bottom line is if you've never heard Mael Mórdha before, you need to buy Cluain Tarbh and Gealtacht Mael Mórdha.