Well... Imperium is good... - 15%

Madman, July 14th, 2004

Machine Head have a terrible track record. One decent album, one terribly below average album, and 2 pieces of worthless dog crap. Where does this new-ish one sit? Well, I'll put it just above worthless dog crap.

Album starts off with Imperium, the only outright good song. It's rather long but that's because it builds up and has a few different sections to it. The build up sounds cool, the marching snare sound has been done before many, many times though. Come to think of it, that's what I'd say about this album, done before and many, many times at that. Back to the song. After building up we hit a pretty decent groove riff with some mindless shouting about rebellion etc. There are some clean vocals, not like the last couple Machine Head albums though... It's not whiney and it's not rapping, they're just kind of melodic clean vocals, not all that well done but I guess they do add some variation. Eventually there's a part that reminds me a whole hell of a lot of Davidian, then into a gothenburg "thrash" style fast part. The song is actually pretty sweet and has some good changes. Too bad the rest of the album is just really bad.

As for the rest of the album, Left Unfinished is interesting probably because it's really the only uptempo song on the album. The chorus isn't sung particularly well but it's a good melody. Every other song on here is pretty much mid-paced or slow and just drags on and on and on and on. Then it happens, you slowly close your eyes only for them to snap open what seems like seconds later, to find out it's been about a half hour later and the album is over.

Worth owning? No.