Let's Cut the Elitist Bullshit For a Minute - 98%

Deadwired, June 28th, 2006

"Machine Head? I liked the band better when they were Vio-Lence."
"Rob Flynn was better in Forbidden."
"They only have one good album."
"That shit's Nu-Metal."
"He raps."

Shut the fuck up. Seriously.

Machine Head are, and always will be, a unit that caters to Robert Flynn's current likes and dislikes. The whole you are what you eat philosophy, except musicians consume music. It's the same thing with Machine Head. I mean, am I the only one that doesn't see why "Imperium" had a tremolo section, taking into consideration what the current music trend was? Metalcore. Killswitch Engage. Tremolo fucking riffing.

I've been a Machine Head fan since I was first introduced to harder Metal by way of Darkane, and I still have a lot of fondness for the band. Just like every other Metalhead, I did not like "The Burning Red" or some of "Supercharger," though that album is highly underrated and overly-slagged. However, I was as astonished and rewarded as any Metal fanatic would've been to hear this album, Machine Head returning to a Thrashier sound at their core, whilst maintaining some experimental aspects. The point is that they experiment. Yeah, they tried integrated Nu into their Groove sound, because it was only the next logical step. Instead, Machine Head induct a new ethic of experimenting with some foreign sounds.

And I do mean foreign. There's a lot of a Swedish and Finnish influence on this album; just check out the tremolo passage in "Imperium" that made every Machine Head fanatic drop a jaw. Or, the US bonus track(Which we fucking deserved. Fuck you very much, Roadrunner), "Seasons Wither." There's also some experimentation with more Sludgey music, as in the track "Elegy." The point here is that the music on this album isn't a "Return to their core," it's Machine Head scoring a hit with their experimentation rather than a miss. They've found their niche, and that's what we've pretty much all been waiting on. What's going on with this album is more than just Groove, it's a band tampering with their sound as much as possible and producing excellent results by successfully compounding influences. Songs like "Imperium" and "In the Presence of My Enemies" are destined to be two songs Machine Head will break out live several times, and fans'll sing to by heart, while songs like "Vim" and "Descend the Shades of Night" continue to reveal aspects of Machine Head that are more than just standard Post-Thrash or Groove.

If you don't like this album, you're a shitty elitist. Honestly. There's too much that's going on underneath this album to dismiss it as petty Nu-Metal bullshit, and if that's what you see, I suggest picking up a book or a guitar.