© 2002-2020

Limp Bizkit in a different form - 8%

PorcupineOfDoom, February 1st, 2015

I was never a fan of Machine Head, and this just gives me another reason not to become one. To be honest I think that its rating at the time of writing (38%) is more than fair, and in fact seems a bit generous. This album is just a classic example of what's wrong with most nu-metal acts, and hence why the genre has slowly died off since the turn of the century.

I'm sure that there are many, many people that love a good bit of Limp Bizkit or Korn, but that's not what most metalheads expect when they're given an album by a semi-respected band. Groove metal has always bordered close to nu-metal, but there comes a point where you've got to admit that you've stepped over the line. That's what's happened here, and it isn't a pleasant surprise.

The fact that the band's main appeal seems to be awful chords that just sound painful and breakdowns that are like some kind of cold sore pretty much shows what you're in for (a bad time). Basically they both just keep on coming back and they never get any better, but since this is a nu-metal album that's the most innovative thing that they could implement here without losing interest from the few people that would still listen to this. Never mind the fact that it would be more enjoyable for everyone else, the minority are important here. You know, "Fuck mainstream shit," and all that.

There's a very Limp Bizkit-esque tone about a lot of the stuff produced on The Burning Red, and I'm sure that you'll be put off by that. I don't know who wouldn't. The long and the short of it is that the riffs either chug along or make needlessly loud screeching noises. Wherever possible, the band combine the two of them. Then mix screams and shouts that don't have any worth with shitty raps that detract more than they add and hey-presto, you've got a clone of the world's most hated band. You will, however, be pleased to know that the vocals tend to sound more akin to Corey Taylor of Slipknot than Fred Durst. Hooray.

I'm extremely embarrassed to admit though that the song Nothing Left kind of left a positive feeling behind. I don't know whether that's just because everything else was so bad that it seems good in comparison or if the breakdowns in the chorus would normally be appealing, but for one reason or another it seemed at least okay. I didn't get as much of a headache listening to that song as I did for the rest of the album anyway.

It would seem that the only reason Machine Head ever released an album in this style is because it was the successful genre at the time of release. And thank fuck that it isn't anymore, because then we'd have to tolerate bands like this one churning out crap that will be bought because it's the cool thing to be into. There will forever be a special place in my heart for this album as it manages to be worse than many nu-metal acts that I don't look upon in a good light (Papa Roach, Slipknot and Mushroomhead to name but a few).