© 2002-2020

A Return to Home - 87%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, November 18th, 2008

I was quite sceptical in my approach to this Gross Misconduct album by M.O.D. after the quite bad (EP or album?) Surfin’ M.O.D. because it didn’t convinced me with those fillers and silly tunes. By the way, this album (we all agree about this…?) is different and shows the return to power for this overlooked band. As always, expect more “crossover” from these guys and forget about anything that is smart, light or polite. This music is for bad people with the right, impulsive attitude.

The first thing we can notice is an improvement in terms of sounds and production. This time the instruments are sharper than on the debut album and the guitars have a full sound with the pounding bass to sustain everything. The drums are quite clear but not so powerful. When the very first riffs welcome us, we can notice the groove elements on the mid-paced parts while the riffs increase in speed as the songs follow the same pace. As always the catchiness is the main word and the various choruses are here to display it.

“No Glove No Love” shows the very first faster tempo parts and the unique vocals by Billy Milano are faster and angrier. The riffs are very good and in some parts the band plays very similar to Anthrax, mixing the thrash and the hardcore very well. Even the shortest songs here, like “Vents”, “P.B.M.” and “Theme” are not so concentrated on the speed, but more on the funny vocals and the various stops where we can find the usual spoken parts. The punk influences are stronger in these parts and they are never fast but more concentrated on the catchiness of the riffs.

On the longer songs the aim is to play a sort of mid-paced thrash metal with faster restarts and less hardcore/punk elements. A perfect example could be done with “True Colours” where we can find also galloping palm mute riffs. These songs have a more complete and convincing structure and they can be appreciated also by those thrashers who love a less violent and more groove approach to this variation of metal. By the way, “Accident Scene”, “E Factor” and “Satan’s Cronies” are definitely faster if you are searching for more brutality.

The title track and some groove, mid-paced parts by the end are not so strong and they can be quite boring but there are always the faster restarts to take the listener awake and they are appreciated. Coming to the end of my review, I think this album has the best songs concentrated at the beginning, while it runs a bit out of ideas and fuel by the end. Anyway, it’s a good example of crossover and it’s far better than the previous Surfin’ M.O.D.