© 2002-2024

Lupine Fall > Cold and Deaf to Sorrow > Reviews
Lupine Fall - Cold and Deaf to Sorrow

I like this a lot - 79%

Noktorn, October 26th, 2010

I dig the almost poppy sensibility at work here, especially on the opening track: the riffs are simple and traditionally melodic in the Hellenic black metal tradition, using textured chords rather than Norwegian inverted fifth chainsawing, and the rather immediately appealing sense of structure makes this really listenable. The production does as well: it's primitive and raw but perfectly even, and I like the overdistorted, Burzumesque guitar tone as well. Vocals are executed harshly but competently, and even the drum programming is developed enough that you don't really notice that it's a machine. In short, this is what primitive, raw, melodic black metal should sound like.

This is certainly not very sophisticated music, but what it lacks in depth it makes up for in its insidious catchiness and intelligently constructed melodic sense. These are professionals at work, and although they've chosen a rather brute, primitive take on the black metal genre, it's a hell of a lot better than having another technical orthodox band clutter the scene. If you dig the earliest material by Emperor or any of the classic works by Rotting Christ, Varathron, or other similar groups, you'll find something to love in this little 7".