Pillows of infinite wonder - 54%

Liquid_Braino, September 25th, 2012

I have to almost congratulate bands that are somehow able to successfully nix the certainty that the 1990s actually happened, at least concerning the music scene. What an album like this sounds like though is not a retro-1980s homage per se, but rather what the average everyday rock band could possibly sound like in the mid 2000s on a global scale if Nirvana, Pearl Jam and all their mopey friends didn't go ahead and spoil the party by introducing heroin to all the wine cooler drinkers. The sound is rich, lush, the production is tight, and nowhere in this album is there a shred of irony, knowing winks or sarcasm. The Edge Of Infinity is about the conquest of knowledge, love and might, and it's no laughing matter. A trying and occasionally painful matter, but overwhelmingly humorless.

As a metal album, it barely passes the volume muster, with the title track providing the one cut that could help provide an inspiring boost for metalheads to climb that mountain, as long as the mountain is grassy and not too high. Plenty of double bass thumping and grandiose bombast from all instruments cascade from the heavens to fill the hearts of those seeking the truth about infinity and existence bearing the fruit by in which they can nourish and replenish their fortitude in the face of adversity. The glorious bluster of this track follows an intro that recalls to my mind The Moody Blues at their most pompous, spouting existential hilarity over a droning backdrop before sending us off on the greatest journey we've ever made, according to the rambling old sage during the introduction.

Yet despite my general respect for bands like this, the journey isn't all that exceptional. Lots of grassy fields, some rolling hills, a couple of piles of donkey shit on the road and an occasional pumpkin patch sums up the experience of traversing the entire effort Lunatica offers us. The drums are well played but mixed in a slightly tempered and low fashion to sap some much needed power out of the proceedings, and symphonic keyboards provide most of the melodies enabling the two guitarists to take things easy and just chug along and toss in a few chord progressions and melodies when their asses don't need scratching. Singer Andrea is given the royal treatment production-wise, with her voice clearly up front and decipherable, for better or worse depending on your acknowledgement concerning the "power of love". As a singer, her style suits the 'poppier' songs here quite well, but lacks that certain level of potency and skill to add an extra layer of swagger to the few heavy tracks.

Some songs on this journey are stumbling blocks so potent that only those who can stand stoically in the face of a relentless surge of maple syrup should make the bold attempt to put up with this madness. Songs like "Who You Are" and "The Power Of Love" are not trying experiences because they cater to REO Speedwagon fans. They simply are not catchy, well written songs no matter what target audience they are aiming for. "Song For You" is some next level abomination though. A power ballad duet with John Payne, this track reeks of insipidness to the point where even John's fellow band members in day job Asia would blush at this melodramatic display of soppy musical theatre.

The Edge Of Infinity avoids being a complete lost cause after the title track thanks to the borderline passable "Sons Of The Wind", "Together" with it's warrior stance complete with corny sword-clashing sound effects, and the genuinely entertaining "Words Unleashed", my personal favorite and a song that provides enough positive reinforcement in me to successfully repair my garbage disposal without flooding the kitchen floor. "EmOcean" is probably the most interesting track, and not merely because of its stupid name, but the way it shifts from a melodic pop metal ditty to a borderline prog metal immersement at around the halfway point. It's a pretty daring move that deserves merit, although the first half of that tune is actually the catchiest portion of this album, and probably would have been a better 'single' release than much of the cloying AOR rubbish, or the lone atrocious 'alternative' tune entitled "Out!". As a bonus track, "EmOcean" is repeated, this time adding Oliver Hartmann to croon along with Andrea's vocal track without adding much to the overall presentation of the song. It wasn't needed, but neither were a lot of other things within this release, so it's not much of a knock to the album's quality by that point.

If you are willing to embrace the power of love and reach for the sky alongside the "Sons of the Wind", then raise your sword, go forth and scoff at those who mock the true though not exactly strident symphonic metal kingdoms, and blast The Edge Of Infinity from your rooftop and ruin your foolish next-door neighbor's cookout party. As for me, I'd rather take a nap.