© 2002-2018

What you see is what you get - 75%

DC68, February 12th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Dunkelheit Produktionen (Digipak)

In 1988 the crossover band Lethal Aggression on their album "Life is Hard....." came to the following conclusion: “I believe in what I see and what I see convinces me, that what you see is what you get and it's never worked out different yet.” Lubbert Das (LD) took that infinite wisdom close to their hearts, when designing the digipak of their two songs EP. The visual impression pretty much tells us what to expect aurally. A dark sinister atmosphere, a certain degree of simplicity, a rather ascetic musical performance, wrapped into a quite muddy and blurred production.

What sounds like the beginning of a fierce bashing, deserves some more attention though. A whole army of bands comes to my mind when listening to "Deluge". Whether your journey takes you to the Nordics of the 90ies or to the pits of German underground black metal. LD feel right at home. You will find traces of Darkspace and Ash Borer. The first in terms of the sound, though you have to deduct any ambient and "industrial" gimcracks, the latter with regard to the music itself. The production is definitely low cost (some would say old school), with lots of reverb, but still decent enough to give room to all ingredients. LD do not reach the same level of ingenuity as Ash Borer in “Convict all Flesh”, but I have to admit that especially "Forlorn Ages" does cast a spell over me. The Dutch horde penned a song that comes straight to the point. It hypnotizes with thirteen minutes of blast beats which hover just under the captivating repetitive riffs, intermitted by a section of pulsing mid-tempo and closed out by a fading guitar and some useless noise. Generally, the guys give preference to the instruments whereas the vocalist spreads his hate in a very well dosed manner.

“Deluge” serves all black metal purists well and will disappoint listeners who prefer some interspersed progressiveness. What remains a mystery for me is why the three evil musicians named themselves after a comical character in Dutch literature. There is nothing comical to be found in this grim, cold and misanthropic performance. What you saw is what you got.