© 2002-2020

Lost Inside - Mourning wept beside me - 55%

Phuling, July 26th, 2011

Ok, so Lost Inside’s released three demos, two compilations of these demos, and including Mourning wept beside me four albums. That doesn’t sound strange, but given the fact that it’s all been done since 2009 it feels highly unlikely it’ll be very good. At least that’s my first thought, and too over-productive bands usually have a problem with too similar and bland material. Now, this is a one-man band with the exception of a little help with the vocals, and one guy writing copious amounts of class A material in such a short time feels more than highly unlikely; it feels damn near impossible.

Well, unfortunately this is just depressive black metal, nothing more. You’ve heard it hundreds of times before, you’ve heard it done way better, but you’ve most certainly also heard it done much, much worse. Lost Inside falls somewhere in the middle of the pile, I’d say. The production is very fitting for the style with a rather harsh and cold, yet vivid, sound that lets all instruments be heard instead of muffling it all in a distorted and noisy mess. The riffing is something fairly unusual, though, while not being just a series (often countable on one hand) of repeated riffs, but rather a drawn-out melody that stretches through an entire song. And where you can actually sense the saddened atmosphere and moody touch to the riffing, the vocals lack any and all sincerity. The screaming is varied and standard, but I don’t feel it, I don’t feel any emotions coming through, and that is a humongous part of what makes this type of black metal work; you gotta feel the sincere angst. This has none.

The drumming’s pretty damn standard with its slow tempo and repetitive beats, so there’s really nothing to comment on there. Sure, the tempo does pick up on occasion, but doesn’t help to relieve the tediousness of the otherwise just standard repetition. The atmosphere is bleak and the production complements and greatly enhances it, just as the melodic touch sometimes perfects it with a finishing touch of sorrow. Mourning wept beside me has both pros and cons, but the cons are difficult to ignore. Such a prominent and important part of making an impact on the listener, creating a true sense of honesty, is the vocal effort, and it just isn’t happening. The guitar lead in Feed on tears is a nice touch to spice things up, but it doesn’t change the fact that in the end the album is too repetitive and the songs lack identity. But I’m most certainly not a fan of the style in general, so maybe someone completely sold on it will get a kick out of Lost Inside. I, on the other hand, would rather put on something else.

Originally written for My Last Chapter