© 2002-2024

Lorna Shore - Into the Earth

This song goes hard - 100%

Lord AdGnalDiv, February 11th, 2024
Written based on this version: 2022, Digital, Century Media Records

Deathcore usually isn't a genre that can hold my attention for an entire album, but I can listen to certain deathcore songs without getting bored. This one is such a song. If I had to describe what Into the Earth sounds like, I'd say it sounds like an ICDD song, but without the clean vocals and also with extremely heavy breakdowns. The vocalist, Will Ramos, goes just as nuts as Rib:y(uhki), contorting his voice into tortured screams, disgusting belches, and bone-crushing growls on a moment's notice. The drummer, Austin Archey is as much of a machine gun of a drummer as Shuhei Kamada, blasting out beats like his life depends on it. It should be mentioned that the drums here sound extremely core-y, so if unnatural-sounding drums put you off, or if you're easily triggered by MIDI triggers, this song probably won't be for you.

Lorna Shore has two guitarists, Adam De Micco and Andrew O'Connor, and they shred hard. Far from just mindlessly chugging along, they lay down technical riffs and solos that would feel at home in an Inferi song. Don't get me wrong, they do utilize deathcore-breakdown-chugs, but they don't rely on that to carry the song. As feels customary in this corner of extreme metal, the bass is... there. I guess the most I can say is that the breakdowns on this song sound particularly juicy, which is undoubtedly in no small part thanks to Mike Yager's bass magic.

There are two major breakdowns on this track. The first appears unannounced after the first chorus like a Tesla Cybertruck turning a corner on autopilot and hitting you with full force. And just like such a collision, you will suffer neck trauma ...in a good way. The second one announces itself more readily, its arrival heralded by the most disgusting sounds Will Ramos' vocal cords are capable of producing. Last, but absolutely not least, the sound of this song is defined by the use of symphonic samples. From the prominent string intro, to the choir that punctuates certain high-impact moments, to the piano that appears in the song's more quiet sections. All of these elements come together to create a song that made me headbang in public when I first listened to it and that gives me goosebumps to this day.