© 2002-2021

Different isn't always bad - 85%

whitefogphantom, May 9th, 2020

As a quick introduction for someone coming into this album blindly, Lord Vampyr was an original member of Theatres Des Vampires. He is known for his raw and melodic 90's vampire sound with harsh vocals. He has since left and worked on his self titled band.

This album will obviously cause a lot of contempt within the Lord Vampyr fanbase because it's "different." Of course, different meaning leaning more towards an Industrial/Gothic style as opposed to his well known style of Melodic Black Metal. Personally I am a fan of both genres, as long as it sounds good. This album is going to be very different than his past works, so if you are expecting more of an old Theatres Des Vampires sound - then look elsewhere. For me, this album is someone trying something outside of their typical wheelhouse.

First of all, his singing is not amazing but it's not bad either. It is reminiscent of Thrash Metal style vocals, calling it "singing" would be a stretch as it is more harsh than your typical clean Metal vocals. The harsh vocals complement the "clean" vocals quite nicely. They are average. nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, the vocals are my least favorite part of the album. Had they have been less "Iron Maiden" and more Black Metal, it would have definitely raised the overall score for me. The lyrics are a little bit silly too, he is trying really hard to be anti-Christian which is a very tired and overdone theme. Suddenly you will hear him scream "Jesus, Jesus!" which really takes away from the atmosphere already present. I do praise him for trying something new though.

As for the guitars, they appear to be standard-tuned heavy sounding guitar riffs. Fabrizio and Seth 666 definitely give me a very riff driven experience with their heaviness. They seem to belong in a Autopsy or Slayer album to be honest but I don't mind them, I think it adds something new. The songs on the album are generally short and catchy, that's the best way I can describe them. You really don't hear anything too difficult to play in there but I enjoy their simplistic nature.

Aeternus has extremely crisp and slick drumming going on here, nothing outstanding but it does the job. The bass can be heard and the overall mix of the album is quite nice. Everything is where it should be. The issues I have with this album are few and far between, I personally like the Black Metal stuff better, however the new sound is not bad at all. The keys are present just like in his other stuff, which I'm always happy to listen to. No overbearing keys though, they are hidden in the distance.

Well, to sum up this review, I like Lord Vampyr. New and old. I think this style should be praised, personally I love Vampyric Metal bands. It would be horrible to see this style go.

Lord Vampyr's Return - 20%

Rufino00, December 18th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2018, Digital, Sleaszy Rider Records (Bandcamp)

I'm a big fan of Lord Vampyr's career with Theatres Des Vampires as his own version of Cradle Of Filth.

After leaving Theatres Des Vampires due to artistic differences, he started doing solo work, which got into the Symphonic Black Metal reign of early Theatres Des Vampires, De Vampyrica Philosophia, Blood Bathory and Carpathian Tragedies and a compilation album including a never released demo called Vampyria and the Blood Bathory demo, but ever since Horror Masterpiece, which was released before Vampyria, he started diving into the musical territory that Theatres Des Vampires carried on doing with a more "commercial" type of gothic metal sound, with albums like Gothika Vampyrika Heretika, and unfortunately with this album too.

There are only three songs that I like on this album, they are Iclonoclast Heresy, At War and Upon The Throne Lies. These three songs are very well written although one of them is an instrumental track (and I'm gonna get into that later) and the other two suffer the same problem as all the tracks on the album suffer, which are the vocals. His clean singing sucks, and only in these tracks you get the actual low vampiric range that fans like about him. The songs are okay but his singing ruins the whole experience and I couldn't wait for the album to end.

Now I said I was going to talk about the intro track, well there are three intro tracks on the album: Intro, At War and The Crusade Of Violence. Now if you've ever listened to Lord Vampyr or Theatres Des Vampire's music you know they have intro tracks and sometimes outro tracks. I only like At War this time around, it was 1:15 seconds long and it felt nice. It used the time well, very unlike the other two, which were the intro tracks and the outro tracks respectively. Firstly both tracks were the same fucking thing and secondly, while Intro was 2:35 minutes, the other one was 9:24 minutes, I have never wasted so much time in my life on a filler track ever. I'm not the type of person that skips intro and outro tracks just because they're filler, I always appreciate every note and sound that comes of an album.

It's really disappointing and I do not recommend.

20%