Decent enough, though others have done it better - 59%

SideShowDisaSter, September 22nd, 2004

This is one of those borderline death/thrash albums that you can't quite nail down in either territory. It starts off promising enough with the title track, which is a pretty good thrasher. The album intro is something from Alfred Hitchcock, I believe. It sure SOUNDS like him anyway. Kind of dumb, but anyway. The song itself has catchy riff work and nice drumming. The bass is pretty much buried, making only a guest appearance here and there, this being the norm over most of the album. The vocals are 'meh' but can be overlooked, even gotten used to. Unfortunately, after this track it decends into mediocrity with only a few good tunes popping up along the way. I must state that the guitar solos are pure guitar WANKERY! All wammy bar with boring fret work.

Now, once past the first track, you're going to get rehashed riffs, plain drumming that you could cut and paste from any thrash/death album and again the guest appearance from the bass. What I said about the solos apply to EVERY SINGLE TRACK. Fistful Of Demons is ok, but nothing to write home about. The riffs are decent, and the drums don't ruin it. Listenable, at least. Next up you get Dead, which starts off with this idiotic voice saying "You're f**king dead". The song then decends into mid-paced boredom until the chorus which thrashes along for like 10-15 seconds, then right back to the mid-paced crap. Very monotonous.

Scream For Me is the next track. More mid-paced junk. The vocals go to absolute crap here. He tries to go for this deep menacing growl and misses it badly. The entire vocal line consists of scream for me...mumbled words...scream for me...more mumbled words. Intelligent, let me tell you! Anyway, now we get Burden of Sin which starts off with a cowbell? A bit out of place, but whatever. Again, mid-paced with boring riffs and the chorus repeated a bit much for my tastes.

Ashes is up now, and FINALLY we are back to the good stuff. It starts off thrashing from the jump and has good riffs, if a bit simple. A few mid-tempo breakdowns, but they fit the overall feel of the song. Bloodangel comes in with some riffs that sound borrowed straight from any mid-paced Slayer track. The trash break in the middle sounds a little uninspired. The vocals on the spoken word parts have effects added, and it just blows!

Painreleaser has a pretty cool sounding riff that makes one think it is about to hit the fan. Sadly, it just kind of plods along. Again, a thrash break right in the middle. Gee, didn't I just hear this track?

Bed Of Flies starts off nicely. Catchy riffs and nice drum work with plenty of double-bass. Not a masterpiece, but for it is good enough to hold interest. Again, the breakdown in the middle adds to the songs atmosphere. Dying Days wraps the album up. Again, riffs straight from Slayer. The track is ok, if a bit plodding. Then it all goes RIGHT down the drain. The drummer starts doing some of the worst blastbeats I have EVER heard. I don't care what comes after that, it was ruined by those horried blasts. The album then ENDS with another Alfred Hitchcock soundbite. That is just stupid.

If you want some bubblegum for the brain, here you go. Nothing new, nothing spectacular, just something to veg out to. If you want something to REALLY get your attention, go get something by The Haunted or Arch Enemy.