The embodiment of depression. - 100%

Under A Funeral Moon, June 20th, 2016

Lifelover was formed in Stockholm, Sweden, in 2005 by B and () (Kim Carlsson of Hypothermia fame.) Their style is hard to place exactly. There are strong elements of black metal in their music, but also shoegaze and even alternative rock. Lyrically, these songs investigate topics such as depression, suicide, misery, and drug addiction. A lot of people seem to put them in the DSBM (depressive suicidal black metal) category, but I don’t believe they truly fit here. Generally, DSBM has more of a "white noise" type sound. By this, I mean the instruments all sort of blend together to help create this impenetrable wall of white noise, evident on releases such as Xasthur's "Telepathic With the Dead". See the track "Slaughtered Useless Beings in a Nihilistic Dream" if you want a better idea of what I'm talking about. Lifelover don't really get this sort of white noise-esque sound in their music, which is one reason why I find it hard to just call them DSBM.

This is their debut full length album, released on the Australian label Goatwarex. Lifelover’s main points for me have always been the guitars and the vocals. The vocals were done by three of the four members - (), B, and 1853, with B and () handling the instrumental side and 1853 and LR handling the lyrics. The vocals are nothing short of tortured. This band manages to convey misery and suffering better than anything I’ve ever heard, and I think that that fits perfectly with Lifelover’s music and message.

This album has some truly amazing riffs, some of my favourites being from "Nackskott" and "M/S Salmonella". The black metal influence in the guitars shines through in "Nackskott", especially with that intro riff. The guitars fit the atmosphere very well, often heavily distorted. Another great thing about Lifelover are their use of clean guitars to offset the distortion. These passages lend to the sometimes drastic atmosphere changes within the album. They also can sometimes help to set a somber tone better than the distortion could.

Overall, this album is a melancholic masterpiece. It is everything depressive music is supposed to be. It embodies depression, sadness, hatred, darkness, and misery, showing you that life is futile and not worth living.