My First Leviathan Album - 96%

CosmicChrisTV, November 8th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Moribund Records

This was the very first Leviathan album I had heard before listening to his other albums, and oh boy... what a perfect album to start with. I honestly feel like this album is a nearly perfect blend of black metal and dark ambient. It manages to blend these two genres quite well, but more importantly, it manages to do so in unexpected ways. Also, the ambience is unlike any style of ambience I've heard before, but that may just be due to the fact that I don't listen to much dark ambient music. I absolutely love when one person can compose an entire album all on their own and have it sound unique and amazing.

The instrumentation is also quite complex, and in my opinion, holds a lot more complexity than most black metal albums composed by multiple musicians. That is something I very much admire when it comes to any art form, but especially music. The vocal style isn't anything too special when it comes to black metal. The guitar riffs are pretty good, but the bass... oh boy, the bass. Looking back on this album after listening to a few other ones, I noticed that the bass is most prevalent in this album. Honestly, at some points the bass seems just as complex as the guitar, which once again, is something you don't see very often when it comes to black metal albums. The drumming doesn't feel quite as complex as the the guitar and bass do, but it certainly gets the job done.

The song titles are pretty chilling and to quote a comment I saw on YouTube: This is black metal for adults. None of that overproduction we see in mainstream black metal. This album is raw, chaotic, and I would say that it's actually just as good as The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide, if not better.