© 2002-2022

Leeches of Lore > Keep Truckin' > Reviews
Leeches of Lore - Keep Truckin'

Digitally Challenged: Part 2 - But this is a country record, Tony? - 90%

Metantoine, June 1st, 2020
Written based on this version: 2015, Cassette, Lorchestral Recording Company

Before the June 2020 Review Challenge, I decided to check out what I had in my tape collection that could be eligible for reviewing. I’ve been a fan of Leeches of Lore since 2012 and I got that sold out at the time tape when I ordered the Ice Queen releases from Steve Hammond.

Leeches of Lore has always been an adventurous band, releasing metal with a wide array of influences until their final and possible ultimate demise three years ago. They had a lot of fun on their extended plays too. Giant Sloth (2012) was a drone song and, well, Keep Truckin’ is country! Not metalhead approved country like Wovenhand but pure country in the old traditional way. It’s six short songs about trucking (yes), the long roads, drinking good coffee, you know simple everyday life things truckers in New Mexico probably enjoy. They’re like short stories about the mundane but they’re made fantastic with the love and care that the Leeches always display on their releases.

Outside of their normal trio configuration (Noah Wolters still handles the piano and the organ alongside bass and occasional vox), the Leeches are joined by two extra musicians who handle typical country instruments such as the pedal steel, the fiddle or the banjo. This really adds to the authenticity of Keep Truckin’. I also did the best test possible, I showed it to my dad who’s a big fan of Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson or Waylon Jennings and he liked it quite a bit. Authentic, I tell ya. Hammond and company really know music and they did their homework. It’s clear that those dudes grew up listening to American country music and that fantastic homage comes off as pure. They fully embraced their roots and did it well. The voices are nasally inclined and the instrumentation is clear and precise in the best wonky tonky way possible. The aesthetic and the production also have this charming throwback approach, it’s like a tape that you could have found in a truck stop convenient store alongside old Patsy Cline compilations and packs of Tecate beer.

This won’t make you like country if you already hate the genre, it’s just honest, hard workin’ songs made by visionary musicians who went back in time to capture a long dead musical era. Recommended? Well, it’s up to you eh!

Soon on Metantoine's Magickal Realm