© 2002-2017

For Kunsten Må Vi Evig Vike - 94%

Lars_Stian, April 10th, 2017

‘’For Kunsten Må Vi Evig Vike’’, Kvist’s debut and sole album, is a great, yet sadly often overlooked, black metal release. It’s always a shame to see wasted talent, and it’s thusly sad to see that Kvist, despite their huge potential, split up soon after this release.

The very first thing I noticed was the production. Most black metal albums barely have any bass in them, however Kvist is the complete opposite. There’s so much bass, especially in the drums, as the kick sounds immensely fat. The bass guitar is easily audible, and the sheer amount of bass makes this album stand out among the numerous black metal albums out there, and makes the album more interesting. Another aspect of Kvist that differs from the black metal norm, is the fact that they use relatively little repetition. There’s an abundance of riffs, and the song writing is quite impressive. At no point can one get bored during a listen, as the riffs always change, and though change is frequent, it never feels forced or out of place.

The riffs themselves are amazing, and the use of synth is brilliant. There are many times where the synth takes the lead, and behind the deceiving heaviness, there’s usually a great melody, often expressed through the synth. What’s great about the instruments, is that due to the production, all the instruments sort of blend together into a single entity. Furthermore, the guitar riffs themselves are somewhat typical black metal riffs, albeit great at that, as there’s one relentless riff after another. The album is somewhat atmospheric, and though I would by no means classify it as atmospheric black metal, it’s certainly there, despite its lesser role. It has, as many other BM releases, somewhat of a sad and nostalgic undertone to it, and it also has somewhat of a doom-like sound to it.

I must say that the vocals are quite interesting, and overall well done. They’re not your typical screaming shrieks, they’re more talking or whispery, and far more sinister. By more talking or whispery vocals, I don’t mean they sound like modern Burzum vocals, as in effortless and dull, I mean as in haunting and evil. Anyway, it’s always great to see black metal vocalists actually try to do something different with their vocals, rather than just shrieking like every other vocalist. The lyrics aren’t too hard to figure out, despite not having actually read any lyrics, due to the nature of the vocals. I must say, as far as I can tell, they’re more poetic and interesting than most lyrics I’ve read. They’re all in Norwegian, as far as I can tell, and they all have a rather mystic and thus intriguing themes. They don’t sound like any of that ‘’vague and cryptic for the sake of sounding deep’’ sort of vagueness, rather they’ve actually made it vague enough to be interesting, though not so much that it sounds meaningless and pointless.

One instrument in particular that stood out to me was the drums, mostly because of the amount of bass in it, however that was only what caught my attention; what kept it was how good they were. The speed itself is very impressive, and the drummer is quite versatile. Blast beats are used, though not overused, and the kicks are so fast at times, which, with the amount of bass in them, sounds incredible.

‘’For Kunsten Må Vi Evig Vike’’ is a must have for all and any black metal fan, I’d even be as bold as to say it’s a necessity to any metal fan in general. Though it took a few listens to really understand the album, it was certainly worth it.