Phantom Antichrist - 90%

slb1995, June 11th, 2012

After the awesome ”Violent Evolution”, “Enemy of God” ”Hordes of Chaos” the German thrash legends had yet again expanded upon their already epic thrash sound with a lot more melody than their 80’s output.

Because of this many have been looking forward to the German masters’ new effort “Phantom Antichrist” and let it be said from the start: the album doesn’t disappoint, but at the same time it’s a bit different from the three aforementioned albums.

Like I mentioned in the start, Kreator added much more melody in their return to their thrash roots in 2001, compared to their 80’s output, but this time it is even more melodic than their music has ever been before which gives the album a more epic feel. The added melody takes a bit away from the aggressiveness and thrashyness, but when the album is fast and aggressive, it contains some of the best riffs in ten years from mastermind, Mille Petrozza, like on the title track, United in Hate and Civilization Collapse. Sami Yli-Sirnio’s performance also needs to be mentioned as this is his best performance with the band so far, providing plenty of great solos and melodies. To my surprise the album even featured acoustic part, like on aforementioned United in Hate.

The lyrics are typical Kreator. By that I mean lyrics surrounding society, politics and anti-religion. And the voice of Mille Petrozza has improved quite a bit compared to his more bland vocals on Hordes of Chaos. In turn this gives the album a more passionate voice, which then leads to the messages feeling even closer to Mille, and makes the listener being able to relate more.

Then we have the drums, and oh my. Ventor gives one of his best performances in a long time and this record manifests his position among the best thrash drummers out there. His fast beast and fills are amazing, and yeah… that’s pretty much it.

So overall Kreator delivers, as always, a great record that this time around, is a bit different with the more even more melodic parts, but without losing the speed and aggression which gave them a huge name in the metal world. So if you like Kreator’s three prior records you’re going to like this, and if you’re a fan of the Gothenburg style death metal, you should check this out, because you might like this.