German thrash revenge - 89%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, January 20th, 2009

Twenty five years of thrash metal. Try to say it….twenty five years of metal…gosh, this is awesome. I can only imagine the satisfaction of a band that passed through all these years, facing difficulties, falling but immediately getting over. It’s hard to follow a style for all these years and maybe Kreator fell in a specific part of their career, like most of the thrash metal bands did. But they survived and they got experience from that missed occasion, whose name is Outcast, forging a sound that takes all the elements of the past, filtered through the more melodic process they started with Endorama. Not so often we have seen a band that is always great in mixing perfectly the best years of its career with the musically worst ones. This is style, this is intelligence and this is expertness.

Since the 2001 comeback, that awesome and massive Violent Revolution and passing through the emotional Enemy of God, we couldn’t believe to our ears. The fanzines and the sites were literally awestruck for the return of a band that seemed dead at the end of the 90s. The old lady of thrash metal surprised everybody and a lifting was enough to shock the fans and reconquer them. The time has passed so fast that now, in 2009, we have the third album by Kreator after the thrash metal comeback. Other years have passed but the energy of this band never fades away. Hordes of Chaos is simply another very good album and once more it takes everything from the career of this band to create a personal approach to the modern thrash metal. Kreator’s penchants for the mixture of old thrash metal to the more recent melodic style find the way to come out once more.

This new album immediately caught my attention even before the releasing date. I looked at the number of the songs and the length: it’s been a long time since this band didn’t release such a short output. This positively increased my curiosity and now that I have the possibility to describe this latest album I’m really carried away. “Hordes of Chaos (A Necrologue for the Elite)” features a more melodic introduction with the lead guitars in the first line, while the speed restart is just behind the corner and we slow down just for the epic chorus. The riffs are in perfect balance between the modernism (with style and without horrid parts) and the old school style. The lead lines are just there to add a sort of gloomy touch.

Mille’s vocals are always great and it seems that the time hasn’t passed. I wish it could be so. However, let’s take joy from this moment and prepare to be annihilated by the following “Warcurse”. Once more, the influences are from an album like Coma of Souls with the melodies of Endorama. The production exalts perfectly the more impulsive sections and the more melodic ones as well, without detaching too much from the one on Enemy of God. The second part of this song is definitely more melodic with the introduction of a guitar solo before coming back with the main riff and restart on speed. The massive power of the galloping riffs on “Escalation” contrasts perfectly with the more melodic attention to the few lead notes.

“Amok Run” begins with a clean arpeggio bringing to our mind the ethereal atmospheres of Endorama. The vocal turns to be melodious and clear. The atmosphere is dark but also sad before the distorted instruments take dominion maintaining that original dark touch. By the shouted refrain, the tempo turns to be an up one and the violence takes the vacant place of the melodies that come out on the final part. “Destroy What Destroys You” is not an extraordinary mid-paced track. The groove and the more modern elements are definitely more present even if the whole thing is not annoying. Let’s simply say that the violence of “Radical Resistance” is definitely better. The few breaks let the groovier or melodic influences come out as the band brutalizes the verses.

“Absolutely Misanthropy” has a perfect, more mid-paced, introduction to give power to the following up tempo section. There are lots of calmer moments even if the catchiness and the quality level are always quite high. The guitars solos have reconquered lots of the 80s impulsivity and nastiness, being shredded on most of the parts. The long notes to give the atmosphere, create a contrast with them. “To the Afterburn” has lots of elements from Outcast, at least on the first part with more reflexive moments and the massive use of the melodic lines. Lots of bass drums triplets announce the up tempo section by the end, supporting some modern ideas on the riffs and continuing with the classic fast and melodic solo.

“Corpses of Liberty” is a clean arpeggio track, preparing us for the last “Demon Price” and its well-displayed love for the melodic thrash metal. However, don’t be taken in by the more melodic introduction as the rest in far heavier. The up tempo seems neverending and they support the blend of different riffs in a faultless way. The mid-paced section is by the middle to finish with the long and more melodic guitar solo, leaving us with the pleasant sensation to have listened to another very good album by this immortal band. In my humble opinion, modern masterpieces like Violent Revolution and Enemy of God cannot be overwhelmed but this new effort is a reason for the band for always walking tall and never back down.