Stop being bitches about this - 72%

HexDemon666, February 20th, 2008

Okay, I'm really sick of looking at all of these reviews that bash this song. "OMG it's a Dio song done by a metalcore band so it sux!!!!!!1" Seriously, shut the fuck up. This is a perfectly decent cover, and I'm really not a huge fan of Killswitch Engage.

From all the music I've listened to, I've found that there are three types of covers that can be done. Complete copies: these covers are where the band does virtually nothing to deviate from the original song. Unless you're a cover band, I really don't think anyone should do this, but there are exceptions (Teas'n, Pleas'n by Shadows Fall is a good example where nothing but extra distortion is added). Complete makeovers: these songs are done in a completely different style or fashion. This is usually a bad idea simply because they tend to turn out bad, but again, there are exceptions (Black Night by Deicide where a classic Deep Purple song was completely death metal-ized). The final happens to be my favorite, and that I can't think of a name for. It's when a band takes a song, stays true to it, but adds in their own flavor. This is what Killswitch did.

See, where with the first type you're almost always better off listening to the original and with the second, they usually suck, these types are taking what is already a great song and making it (arguably) greater. If not, different at least. Killswitch didn't do much to change the song, but they added more distortion, it's heavier, it's got some squeals, and it's got some screams. I mean, seriously, Holy Diver is great already, but a bit heavier and it'd be even greater. That's what Killswitch did. Now, nothing can replace the original, but this is a perfectly respectable cover. If you like Dio (or at least Holy Diver) and you like Killswitch Engage (or metalcore to say the least), you'll like this song. Don't stick your nose up at it just because you think Dio is untouchable or it's "sacreligious" to cover a classic.

If you don't like Killswitch or metalcore, then why are you bitching? You wouldn't like any cover they could've done, so just go listen to the original and shut up. If you do like Killswitch, I can't see why you wouldn't like this unless you fall into the aforementioned bitch category of hating a cover just for the sake of it being a new band playing an old song. That's just fucking stupid. Now, I'm going to be honest, though I respect what they did, I really hated the screaming on this song. I think the vocalist would've been much better off singing clean the whole way through. Other than that, though, nothing has really been changed. Yeah, it's heavier and there are some embellishments here and there (squeals, bends, etc) in the guitar work, but everything else seems to be koshur.

So what am I trying to say with all of this? It's a great cover that pays respect to the original, but still retains that metalcore/Killswitch Engage flavor that you'd expect being that, you know, they played the song. Other than some minor, personal distastes of my own, I like it and the song remains true to the original. The only real reason you would hate this song is if you hated Killswitch or metalcore OR if you're dumb and hate covers of classics just because they're classics. Either way, you shouldn't be wasting your time listening to this or reviewing it. If you're not one of those people, check it out. Maybe you really won't like it for some other reason, I don't know, but from what I can tell, people just hate it because of the song in question and who covered it, paying no heed to the actual musicality of it.

I can't give it a much higher rating because, as I said, there are parts I don't like and, being a cover, I can't honestly give this a score that could ever top the original since it isn't their own work. But it's still good. It's one of few songs I hear on the radio these days that I enjoy listening to before I plug in my Zune.