Become God - 76%

Mailman__, October 27th, 2018

Out of every intro in the history of intros, there is not one that I love more than this one. The symphonic elements perfectly fit the epic proportions of annihilation of which the voice-over speaks of.

Hailing from Texas, home of my favorite brutal death metal scene, and formed by Brian Wynn (guitars) and Mike Majewski (vocals) formerly of Devourment, Kill Everything seems like one of the most promising slam acts of the modern era. With pounding riffs that are actually somewhat enjoyable, Kill Everything present themselves as having potential.

But is it me or does Majewski's voice sound extremely dry? It's not a huge issue, but it's certainly noticeable. It's at least tolerable. I mean, on 1999's "Molesting the Decapitated", the only album he sang for while in Devourment, he sounded great. Back then his voice was chunky and guttural. Now it's raspy and guttural.

Other than the vocals, the album as a whole is pretty heavy, but other than the intro, I don't see much to be crazy about. The riffs are good. That's it. They're heavy, pounding, and monstrous, thanks to the production. However, there is nothing special about them. There is no technicality, no interesting rhythms that I can remember, and no originality. I know that one can't expect much originality from a slam release, but I thought a bit of technicality was a staple for the genre.

Back to the intro, there isn't much beyond what is presented on it. Some cool riffs can be heard here and there throughout the album, but nothing sticks in your memory. None of it is memorable. I don't listen to a ton of slam, but I know excellent slam when I hear it. Take Organectomy for example. They're technical, they have interesting rhythms, and they have slam melodies that would make other slam acts feel stupid for not coming up with them first. What Kill Everything have on their debut album is average slam. It's what you expect to hear; it's by the books. Sure there's a cool tremolo riff every now and then, but if I wanted to hear that, I'd listen to Viral Load or early Devourment instead.

In total, Kill Everything have a good album. It's not impressive, but it's good. It's fun slam with amusing lyrics and themes. They have a lot of potential. Also, the album artwork is cool.

Overall Rating: 76%

Originally written for themetalvoid.wordpress.com

Kill Everything do just that! - 100%

Akerthorpe, September 21st, 2018

When you hear this band called Kill Everything, you best know that, with this monstrosity they’ve created entitled “Scorched Earth”, that is exactly what they are here to do. There are those that could say that this is a name based on shock value to gain attention for the band, but, I assure you, everything from the cover art, to the music, and everything in between can all be attributed to the truth in the name itself. From the first listen, you will come to understand that the band is extremely focused on the perfection of their art as well as the precision of its delivery. The riffs on this release are absolutely and phenomenally sick! Having a similar “crunch” and “bite” as some more traditional death metal bands, Kill Everything seem to keep that element on the low end of the riffage, giving the auditory experience of a razor blade easily slicing through flesh all the way to the bone. The bottom heaviness to the riffs really adds to the overall experience.

The drums sound a bit raw, but not really enough to make a difference one way or the other. It’s just something that’s noticeable. My guess is that this is the intended result as it adds to the ferocity of the music and takes on a whole new soulful feel. Other than that, you have a pretty standard style of drumming here. The time and Rhythm changes are met with absolute precision, offering seamless continuity and fluency throughout the release. The vocals are mostly low end growls which matches well with the low end sludginess of the CD. They emanate in such a way that you feel you are one among many enthralled in a sermonizing rapture of agony.

Comatose Music has done an excellent job putting out this CD. Its releases like this that give and maintain strength to the death metal genre. The band is to be respected for creating such a monstrous effort and sharing it with the clamoring metal masses and all of its insanity. If you do not have this in your collection yet, then you need to do so as swiftly as possible. Kill Everything will surely become a force to be reckoned with, but if you’re judging by this release, then they already are!