Warning, can cause asthma like symptoms - 96%

ChildClownOutlet, February 27th, 2012

So, I previously reviewed two Kalmah albums, but they were rejected due to the fact that my inner fanboy was showing. So l'll try not to give too much praise on this, but it's difficult. I mean, this is everything melodic death metal should stand for. See, Kalmah are the Bolt Thrower of melo-death. They have the ability to churn out classic and consistent albums that never fail to impress. Sure, they can be considered a Children Of Bodom clone, but Kalmah are far greater than Alexi and company. Everything about this album screams "BUY ME YOU SON OF A GOLDEN RETRIEVER, BUY ME!". The bombastic keys, the melodic riffs, and the vocals, goodness the vocals - this album is just fantastic.

With TBW, Kalmah have begun to mature in their sound with their darker side showing than in previous albums like "Swampsong." "Bitter Metallic Side" begins with a dark sound from the keyboard and then rips with a riff that destroys anything in its path, and all of a sudden Pekka Kokkos' growls shine. Yes, his vocals are more death metal sounding rather than his black metal screeches, which I'm thankful for due to most melodic death metal bands bore me with those vocals. Of course, this is only the beginning of the melodic onslaught. With "Mindrust", Kalmah brings up images of '80's thrash with Antti's wonderful leads and Marko's keys flowing all over the song. Aggressive yet beautiful, which is exactly why Kalmah are in a league of their own. My personal favorite would have to be "The Groan Of Wind", the "single" of the album. The reason why this song appeals to me more than the others is the fact that each member shines; the small bass interlude towards the end, the keyboard solo at the finish, Pekka's vocals that combine his deep growls and his screeches, and the opening riff that brings to mind epic battles. This sorrowful song is nothing short of amazing.

In the end, Kalmah does it again. With TBW, they have proven and continue to prove that they are the kings of Finnish melodic death metal, pushing aside peers such as Norther and Children Of Bodom. The swamplords' ability to create catchy music and sorrowful melodies make fans continue to flock to their cds. I can only hope that they continue this trend of quality music. Thank you, Kalmah, for taking my breathe away.