© 2002-2018

Swedish death metal rising! - 85%

dismember_marcin, May 30th, 2012

Kaamos!!!! Hell yeah, this band was truly awesome motherfuckin’ Swedish death metal outfit, which was playing some of the most killer and obscure sounds you may imagine. After the stunning demo and even better debut full length album I was really expecting a lot from the second LP, when Candlelight Records announced its release back in 2005. Seven years later I still think of the band and this album as something truly unique and must admit that Kaamos was one of the brightest (or rather darkest) stars of the death metal underground of the previous decade. But meanwhile I swapped the CD version for the lovely gatefold LP, which – just like “Kaamos” – was released by Imperium Productions. Both vinyls look really alike, to be honest, with the same kind of layout and everything else (both are gatefolds, both have posters, etc). Anyway, this LP is great addition to my collection and I’m really glad to have it, also in very mint condition.

When I listen to “Lucifer Rising” nowadays, knowing also that Kaamos has split up, I can say that this really was a unique band. It may sound almost unbelievable, but I think they’ve managed to create their own style and capture the essence of the ancient death metal in exceptional way. You know, not every band, which takes the influences from the glorious past and its legendary bands can be able to play something own. In case of Kaamos I can honestly say that once I hear first riff or vocals of the opening song – “Black Revelation” – I know immediately that this is Kaamos, not something else. Already for that this band deserves honours and praise!

Of course having your own style is not enough if you’re not able to compose killer songs and catch the attention with awesome riffs and the proper atmosphere. And “Lucifer Rising” again managed to fulfil all my expectations, releasing an album, which is even better than the already blasting debut LP. There’s no fuckin around on “Lucifer Rising”, just pure and old styled death metal from the start till the very finish. Kaamos do not torment us with useless melodies or with boring constant blasting, they just play what is necessary, banging the head and throwing the fists in maniacal frenzy. And they make sure that we, the listeners, do exactly the same. The riffing and song structures on “Lucifer Rising” are all pretty simple and very much based on the old school kind of playing – and here I must mention the band called Unleashed, which I think has influenced Kaamos more than the others. I just feel like I was listening to some songs from “Where No Life Dwells” or “Shadows in the Deep”, speaking of some rhythms, dynamics of this music and the kind of riffing, which Kaamos plays. Another band, or album, which may have been a massive source of influence for “Lucifer Rising” is “You’ll Never See” – the second spawn of Grave. Anyway, despite the similarities to these two legends, Kaamos is unique as I said in the beginning and was able to create their own sound.

I really like the way Kaamos composed their songs, the song structures are always very interesting and riffs never dull. The songs are properly diverse and they may have a focus on more mid paced playing, but occasionally they will also attack you with some blasting fury and drum cannonade, as well as with even more doomy parts – but that doesn’t happen often, although I must admit that the instrumental track, which finishes the LP, titled “Ascent”, is just a superb piece of doomy death metal and definitely belongs to my favourite parts of the whole album. But if I was to mention the best tracks then I would also mention “Inaugurating Evil”, which belongs to the slower tracks and which also ends with this sort of doomy riff, which I love. Then “Theriomorphic Pandemonium” is also truly awesome and its catchy chorus will be screamed by you once you hear it for the first time. From the other hand there may happen slightly less inspiring moments on the album as well, as in few occasions I have a feeling like Kaamos started to swallow their own tail and circle too much around similar type of playing, but that’s just a minor feeling, nothing major and definitely it doesn’t have a negative influence on the listening of “Lucifer Rising”.
Standout tracks: “Inaugurating Evil”, “Theriomorphic Pandemonium”, “Ascent”, “Gnostic”, “Lucifer Rising”

Crowd of gods, dripping poison - 75%

autothrall, January 12th, 2010

Some bands were far ahead of the curve when it comes to the revival of the classic Swedish death metal tones (circa Entombed, Dismember, Grotesque, etc). Kaamos was one of them, forming in the late 90s. Their lineup has featured members of Serpent Obscene, Revokation, and Repugnant. Lucifer Rising is their second full-length, following the self-titled debut of 2002, and the stronger of the two, due to both the increased production and the superior songwriting. But the style does not differ greatly: grinding guitars spew old school evil, wild leads explode forth against the ballistic rhythms, and some of the vocals are layered in a Deicide fashion, with grunts and snarls often working in tandem.

'By Spells and Magick Conjure ye Them
In Tongues of Olde Enchant ye Them
By Laws that Govern Evoke ye Them
With Signs of Evil Greet ye Them'

Lucifer Rising is a ripping good time, from the churning mass of its opener "Black Revelation" to the doomier tones of the closing instrumental "Ascent". The band operates well at different tempos, though most of the record is mid to faster paced. "Theriomorphic Pandaemonium", "Inaugurating Evil", and "Myserious Reversion" are choice cuts from the album, each a dark entry into the encyclopedia of Swedish crimes against humanity. Not every track had me raging as hard as the next, and the band's riffs aren't necessarily as catchy as some later revival bands (Bloodbath, Tormented, Demiurg, etc), but definitely fit for fans of any of them, especially Ribspreader or Paganizer. Simply put, if you long for that early sound with its crushing tones and overtures of doomed oblivion, this band will not fail you.

Highlights: Gnosticon, Theriomorphic Pandaemonium, Inaugurating Evil

-autothrall

Ultimately a Bit Lacking - 80%

drewnm156, May 9th, 2009

It’s fair to say I am not much of a fan of modern death metal. The recent deathcore scene seems too focused on fashion and a desire for fans to dance. Technical death metal seems to be all about the tech and not enough about the evil and the vibe. Although there are exceptions (Origin, Cephalic Carnage) most of my extreme music taste lies in the black metal field. Therefore I was eager to check out this release from a few years back from this Swedish old school death metal act.

There is a lot to love initially about the album. The production is suitably strong and upfront, yet not too clean as to wipe away the grime. The album displays a killer guitar tone that recalls yet doesn’t mimic the masters of yesterday such as Entombed or Dismember. Drums are good sounding (i.e. they sound real) and not too high or low in the mix. Vocals are nicely venomous without the ridiculous pig squeal or generic “cupped mic” effect. Songs are fairly well constructed with riffs flowing into each other pretty well. Guitar ideas are classic Swedish death metal that balance the simple and heavy with some that are a bit more complex, yet don’t reek of Pro Tools cutting and pasting.

Yet despite all the above reasons this album has never truly grabbed me. It’s is lacking that certain quality that made Left Hand Path or Like an Ever Flowing Stream undeniable classics. Admittedly it is more difficult to take a type of music that spawned nearly 15 years prior to this release and make it sound fresh. However I believe the main fault of this release is that although a lot of the album is ok, none of it is great or spectacular. For example although I like the vocals as a whole there is only one vocal idea that stays with me past listening, which is the chorus of the title track. Too often similar vocal patterns are used in every song creating certain sameness.

The guitar riffs themselves are good, yet none of the tremolo type riffs evoke a cool evil vibe. As a whole they are somewhat staid and sometimes just boring. I do like some of the more mid paced moments in the title track and also in ‘Inaugurating Evil’. I also enjoy the album closer instrumental ‘Ascent’ with its doomy vibe and cool lead lines. Yet these decent moments are a bit rare while most of the material is nothing spectacular.

Perhaps since I’ve listened to this music for many years, I’m just use to the tactics and tricks used by Kaamos. I would suggest someone just discovering this genre of death metal would really enjoy this release. Ultimately however as they discovered the classics of old, they too would find this album just a bit too average.

Dawn of fayaar!!Son of flaymme!!Lucifer!!RISING!! - 94%

quacktheripper, November 18th, 2007

Kaamos' second studio full length Lvcifer Rising is yet another deathrashing lesson in the macabre art of Swedish death metal. The members of Kaamos themselves are no new entrants into Swedeath, what with Karl Envall (bass/vocals) and Cristofer "Chris Piss" Barkensjö (drums) already having graced the ranks of one of the best old school sounding death metal bands in the world today, Repugnant (NOSFERAATTOOO..INSIIIIIIIIDE OV YOOOOOO) and guitarist Nicklas Ericksson having wielded his six string mightily as part of the Swedish thrash movement on Serpent Obscene. Kaamos' self titled first full length played no small role in the resurgence of traditional Swedeath in the post-Sunlight Studios era, along with bands like Verminous and ofcourse, Repugnant. Lvcifer Rising, then, had to be positively ballcrushing in order to dethrone an album as intense as their debut.I'm quite happy to report that this has been achieved, and quite convincingly at that.

Lvcifer Rising is certainly influenced to a large extent by Swedeath greats of the Sunlight Studios era such as Entombed, Dismember and Grave but note that I say "influenced". The music certainly pays homage to these bands but in no way ends up sounding derivative or contrived at any point. The music on order here is fervent, impassioned, crushingly heavy anti-christian death metal. There are all the hallmarks of a superb death metal record; monumentally heavy riffs, drums that comply with requirements that range the spectrum between slow, doom-ish tempo to hyper (and I mean HYYYPAAAAAARRR!!) blast beats, absolutely SCORCHING vocal delivery and ofcourse, good old Christ bashing, blasphemous lyrical work. The amazing thing is that the album maintains a blazing level of intensity throughout, never going through a trough as such. Theriomorphic Pandaemonium begins with a deceptively mid paced riff, going on to revel in a veritable hailstorm of blastbeats, sledgehammer riffs, screeching leads and by the time it ends, the listener is befuddled into mute submission to the awesomeness of it all. But wait, that's just the 4th fucking track! The title track, with its Entombed-esque opening riff, thrashing verse section and a massive chorus hook over Envall's sacrilegious bellowing of "DAWN OF FAYAAAR!!SON OF FLAAYYYYMMME!!LUUUCIFERRR...RAAAAIISINGGGG!!" is a perfect example of how to write a fucking GREAT death metal song.There is no respite from the neck snappage, once you have embarked upon the musical panzer that is Lvcifer Rising. Sacrament in Red bulldozes whatever is left of your pitiful spinal cord into nothingness.The pace of this song is BLINDING, near 3 minutes of constant para-220 bpm tempo riffage. Ascent, an instrumental, is an ideal album closer intended to play out as a soundtrack to the ascent of Cthulhu from R'lyeh and glory to the old ones, it does so with frightening heaviness. Fuck the ton of bricks, have you seen how Coyote gets fucked over, getting run over by a truck,dropping into the canyon followed by the largest rocks in the vicinity? Think twice that much weight falling on your head and you might get close to the IMMENSE ownage of this song. The leads generally follow the Entombed/Dismember template, ala screeching, whammy abused pieces of delight adding to what is already a heady dose of uber-riffage.

The production values on Lvcifer Rising are simply stunning. The folks over at Berno Studio have done a massive job on this. There is a very fine line between being well produced and being over produced and most modern bands do not know how to tread that line without falling onto the filth of over production. Post- Revelation Nausea- Vomitory and Vile on The New Age Of Chaos (damn you, Unique Leader!!), are very good example of bands that has crossed that line with very appalling results. Even though the music is definitely worth drooling over, I have grown to distance myself from these albums owing to the plasticine nature of the sound. The sound on Kaamos' Lvcifer Rising however, is a specimen for judging good production on a death metal album. The guitar tones are absolutely humongous and meaty, the drum sound stays delightfully healthy without thankfully being triggered to hell and even though the bass is mixed a tad low on the album, it still makes its presence felt as the situations warrant.

It is extremely depressing that a fine band like Kaamos have chosen to end their alliance at a time when bands like them are death metal's most pressing need but I couldn't think of a better example of going out with the proverbial bang. (Well, technically Scales Of Leviathan is an MCD so..).Lvcifer Rising joins Blessed Are The Sick and Failures For Gods as the soundtrack to my Saturday night satanic ritual. Death metal lives!!

Originally written for [url]http://kvltsite.com[/url]

Devilish Sonority - 90%

Erin_Fox, October 29th, 2006

Kaamos will strike you like a mace to the face on ‘Lucifer Rising’, an emboldened platter of guttural death which exudes a particularly evil nature. Judging from the album’s patently obscene cover art, these guys are heavy into singing the praises of the horned one. The band’s attack is reminiscent of Morbid Angel musically, but vocalist Karl delivers his bestial grunts in a much more guttural nature than David Vincent, making for a listen that is heavy as Hell on the whole. Kaamos exudes a reflection of evil that is dark, cold and intensely devilish on ‘Black Revelation’, a track filled with an upfront brutal electricity.

Chris Piss can kick out some heavy beats, but the primary fury of Kaamos lies in the bands Ordo Ab Chos fretwork which is brooding and literally splattered all over the place. ‘Gnosticon’ stands out as one of the records most forceful tracks, while the over the top, Kerry King style solo which graces ‘Theriomorphic Pandaemonium’ simply rips you head off. The tonal butchery gets really intense during the title track, where Kaamos thrashes along soundly.

Many of the arrangements could be likened to a more brutal Coroner or less forgiving Deicide, if that is possible. The band does not however make use of extensive double tracking which helps the material to retain a primal nature that strikes at the heart of what this style of music is all about. ‘Sacrament In Red’ contains a blistering single note riff before lapsing into some Carcass influenced power riffing that does the job like a ten pound sledge. Not for the faint of heart or weak of mind, ‘Lucifer Rising’ is a muscular beast of death that will snap your neck until your head is left hanging lifelessly.

..straight forward fukking brutal! - 80%

holzmann, September 21st, 2005

Kaamos came out of nowhere for me when I got this promo in my hands, the only thing I’ve heard about them before was that they’re a new (1998) death metal band from Sweden. -And that they are/were a “live band”.

Lucifer rising gave me a pretty good first impression with its early 90’s sound. I expected modern hyper technical death metal, but fast realized that this suited my ears better than I hoped for. Lucifer rising is not an overproduced album. Maybe this isn’t the most original album I’ve heard, but they have something unique that’s quite interesting and keeps me wanting to hear more. Kaamos draws a line between old-school and modern death metal with "Lucifer Rising", their second full-length album.

The album is pretty varied when it comes to tempo. Karl’s vocals are everything they should be, straight forward fukking brutal! But I think they become a bit boring and maybe lacking some personality, after hearing through the album a couple of times.
Chris Piss are the member that impresses me the most, his drums are great, and as I said before - the tempo-variation kicks ass! The thing that bothers me most, is that the guitars dissapears a bit into the background. Of course you can hear them, but I think they should be a bit louder.

Solid and workman-like - 74%

stefan86, July 9th, 2005

Kaamos self-titled debuty was a nice pile of brutal old-school Death Metal. For this one they haven't changed their sound a single bit. The focus is still on blasting Thrash-infused riffing, frantic drumming and pissed off growls from the most intimidating mainman of the swedish metal scene.

They aren't the most original band in the world, but the passion and the intensity is undeniably here. Chaotic riffs and drum fills are thrown around like they could do them all day. There is no doubt these guys are fully capable of playing this style of music even in their sleep.

There are no "WTF?" moments on here, but sometimes I feel that some of this lack the memorability of great songs like "Blood of Chaos" and "Corpus Vermis". Another thing that puts this behind the debut is the production. It's not as punishing and clear as the sound of debut. Sometimes the vocals are buried in the chaos and that's a bit dull, especially knowing how much better these guys sound live.

But Kaamos really have not let down their intensity one bit. They still go for full force when it comes to being punishing and aggressive. The songs are filled with good riffs and solid ideas, while just not being on quite the same level as on the debut. Still, this is highly recommended for fans of straight-forward Death Metal.

Song choices: "Theriomorphic Pandemonium" and "Black Revelation"

Refreshing! - 89%

Cup_Of_Tea, May 4th, 2005

For a year 2005 this album is quite different from the metal that is made today. This ain't Gaythenbourg mainstream metal nor a copy of a copy of a copy like millions of bands in death metal nowadays. This is simmilar probably to a bore brutal and thrashy version of the Amon/Deicide period with extremely better lyrics. The main letdown of the album are the blastbeats - a thing most hated in death metal, but they aren't that constant, so it's ignorable.

This release could be best explained as a constant riff slaughtering death metal madness that simply goes on and on for 37 minutes. Though it ain't groundbreaking or standardmaking this release is very refreshing and brings at least sadisfaction to the listener that good death metal still exists.
A thing I should point out - this album is not boring or mindless, it's covered with good ideas and innovative riffs, which is probably the main reason why I gave it a great rating.
Highlights: Theriomorphic Pandemonium - cool midpaced riff that evolves into: Dark Void, a raging thrasher. Also Inaugurating Evil, Lucifer Rising and Sacrament Reversion are great and Sacrament Reversion has some crazy drumming incorporated.

Definetly worth getting, a classic that rises high amongst the useless records of today.