You're not missing anything... - 45%

Kriegsminister, June 6th, 2004

You know, I really don't want to get on the anti-Akhenaten bandwagon or anything, but I have to say that this release does not really inspire confidence. That might be a rather moot point at this juncture, considering it's the last Judas Iscariot release, but I think that makes its shortcomings all the more noticeable. First and foremost, there's the fact that "Midnight Frost (To Rest With Eternity)" is nothing more than five previously-released tracks compiled for whatever reason. The first three tracks -- originally from a demo -- are pretty raw shit. While this isn't bad in and of itself, it sets the groundwork fo a total lack of consistency between the two "halves" of this release. And though there's nothing inherently wrong with raw music, there is when it's not that great to begin with. As you may have guessed, these three tracks are unfortunately not that great. They're fairly below average, especially compared with Judas Iscariot's other releases. In fact, the only reason I rated this release as highly as I did was because of the fact that the other two tracks originally hailed from "The Cold Earth Slept Below," which is my second-favorite Judas Iscariot release. That being said, the composition and performance is naturally competent or else I wouldn't claim to like it. However, don't take this to mean that these two tracks (the titular 'Midnight Frost' and 'Ye Blessed Creatures') are enough to carry the whole so-called album; they're simply not.

While rare, it should surprise nobody to know that this release is not at all incredible and frankly not worthy to bear the Judas Iscariot name (which at one time stood for something good, despite all the relatively recent propaganda you might read to the contrary). As I mentioned earlier, the lack of internal consistency is primarily what kills it. While some people will obviously want this release because it contains the not-in-print "Heidegger" demo, I have to confess that it's not really anything worth hunting down. I guess it's fitting that Judas Iscariot ended with the same material with which it began, but at the same time, I don't feel at-all confident in recommending it to anyone other than a die-hard JI completist. This is likely to turn off more people than not, so casual fans of Judas Iscariot beware.