© 2002-2024

Jotunspor > Gleipnirs smeder > Reviews > marktheviktor
Jotunspor - Gleipnirs smeder

Monger Heritage - 69%

marktheviktor, January 1st, 2009

I had been wanting to pick this album up ever since it came out in 2006 but it wasn't until very recently that I finally got around to getting it. Jotunspor is a side project of Gorgoroth's King ov Hell and Kvitrafn. This is solid black metal but it does feel like a side-project. I thought this would be more folk-ier but aside from the fact that the lyrics are sung in Old Norse, there wasn't much of that. There is actually more of a faint industrial tone to Gleipnirs Smeder. This actually sounds closer to Krieg than to Gorgoroth if you can believe that.

The title song starts out with a pretty dark blasting underneath what sounds to be a synthesized bass. The drum hits crackle with an effect that gives it a nocturnal depth. King's vocals howl in the background in typical black metal style. He does some Ihsahn-like clean chanting at the end while the main riff drains on. It's a passable if not altogether memorable track. The bulk of Svartalvheims Djup is an ambient piece that contains far off dungeon sound. The great thing about black metal is that if you like particular aspects of songs and want more of the same, then there is no shortage for more. Svartalvheims Djup feels like just that. The third song is Solarjuven and I can’t say I liked this one too much. It’s a bit more melodic than the others. The heavy tribal type beats were ok but this song sounded perfunctory in this Pagan procession. Freke Han Renn is an improvement though. All sorts of deep and menacing layers are thrown into this one. There is even some guttural growls heard melting into the chaos of drums and mid paced power chords. The drumming ratchets up to blast beats once it closes out.

Gleipnirs Smeder suffers a bit from fits and starts even though the overall atmosphere remains coherent. There is passion and hate felt throughout with an exuberance that is akin to nature’s wrath in stormy fjord. Sol Mun Svartne is pretty intense with blast beats being thrown down like a murderous firestorm. It’s pretty cool but it wasn’t anything I didn’t expect. This is tumultuous stuff and it shakes the bedrock right under you but like an earthquake, you know it will just pass and you’ll be done with it. This is so far the only album that Jotunspor has put out. I don’t know if they’ll continue with this project or not but while it didn’t completely disappoint, I feel as though it was just what I expected it would be-to a fault. I love Norse history and I love that King wrote this entirely in Norrønt Språk. I purchased this album on iTunes and despite not being in English at all, the explicit warning was attached to the songs. That’s probably the greatest compliment that can be paid to such a band: A sound so fierce that that it MUST be explicit!