© 2002-2020

Pretty good effort, but... - 50%

Pratl1971, August 24th, 2010

Iron Kobra’s German brand of traditional metal is right in line with the current re-emergence of the old-school metal emanating from the likes of Sweden and Germany. With it’s the Cult of the Snake demo making the rounds Iron Kobra is, in all senses of the phrase, a throwback to what once was. Saxon hyped up on something might be a good description for the Iron Kobra sound, though the complete might of Saxon is a far cry at this point.

I must admit “Speedbiker” left much to be desired with its Saxon-like motorcycle revving in the beginning and somewhat uneven vocal delivery, but once the “Fists of Fury” kicked in it made me want to watch my Bruce Lee DVD’s in succession. There are five fine songs here that might do well with a bit more polishing. I will admit to the lyrical content being somewhat rudimentary and quite literally obligatory with songs about blasting off on rockets and racing motorcycles, but it’s at least decent enough to want to keep an eye on them for future projects. The vocal delivery is drenched in the German accented tone that makes Destruction and Sodom so much fun, but when vocalist Sir Serpent attempts the Schmier-like scream it falls somewhat short. Overall, these complaints are minor, if not important to note.

The band already has a new EP out called Iron Kobra Battlesword that is in the same vein as Cult, but one could certainly do much worse when seeking out a band of this genre.