© 2002-2024

Inverted > There Can Be Only One... > Reviews
Inverted - There Can Be Only One...

A thrashy, twisted, and unique sophomore effort of truly great OSDM. - 88%

HailPaimon, May 14th, 2024
Written based on this version: 1997, CD, Shiver Records

When I first discovered Inverted and bought both of their albums, I generally considered their debut (The Shadowland) to be their better release. For some reason, There Can Be Only One... didn't quite click with me at first. But now, after revisiting this lesser known OSDM gem with a second listen, everything just fell into place... and I think I can now confidently call this the superior record released by Inverted before their career came to an end.

There Can Be Only One... takes a much more thrashy approach to its sound and song writing, mostly doing away with the more melodic sections to focus primarily on chaotic and twisted riffing, with some crushing chugs and heavy grooves thrown in there for good measure. Even the few more melodic riffs in songs such as Wrath of Sin still have a relentless feel and style - a style that's pretty consistent from the first track to the last.

While I'm a sucker for a good old eerie atmosphere in OSDM albums, I actually think Inverted made the right choice with their musical progression here. Don't get me wrong, I still love The Shadowland and think it's a great debut... but this is the record where the band really came into their own. The whole album has a pretty unique sound, and you can tell Inverted were thinking outside of the box with some of these riffs. And, while it's a shame that this is where their career came to its end, it's also satisfying that Inverted closed their tenure with an album that fully captures an individual sound and sets them aside from the crowd.

That said, there's one odd decision at the end of the album that throws me off. Wrath of Sin is a 9 minute track... but the song actually ends after less than three minutes. This is then followed by 5 minutes of silence, after which a creepy jester-like orchestral track plays for about a minute and a half (accompanied by demonic growls for added effect), bringing the album to a close. While I really enjoy this outro, the five minute silence feels like an unnecessary (or even pointless) choice, and I think it would have been wiser to simply end Wrath of Sin where it ends before leading straight into this outro as a separate track. Nonetheless, it says a lot about this album's quality when my only real complaint is an excessively long period of silence before the closing instrumental passage.

All in all, The Shadowland and There Can Be Only One... form a solid OSDM legacy for this band. Two albums might not be a lot, but at least it's more than many of the one-and-done bands that called it quits after releasing only a single album around the same time. And, as I've already mentioned, it allowed Inverted to really leave a unique mark on the genre before calling it a day - and for that reason, this album scores a mightily solid 88% from me and goes down as one of my favourite 90s death metal records.