Difficult to diagnose. - 82%

hells_unicorn, July 29th, 2010

Into Eternity are a blatant aberration within both death metal and progressive outfits, exhibiting all of the technical mastery of the latter and the aggression of the former, yet coming off so radically different than anything else existing in either medium to be a dominant force in either area. You won’t catch most Dream Theater fans consuming their brand of genre mixing due to its agitated nature and overt catchiness. Likewise, most Gothenburg oriented or tech. death fanatics won’t really grab onto this unless they are okay with large amount of Rob Halford and Freddy Mercury vocal influences mixed in with the usual mix of guttural and garbled growls associated with the heavier ends of extreme metal.

This is the sort of band that embraces a healthy amount of cliché, albeit through a modernized sound that is more conducive to younger audiences, yet can’t quite fit into the mold of being either a hipster flirtation with older metal, or yet another attempt at being a retro act. Every section within every song has a clear genre influence, be it a traditional one or a hybrid progressive one, but entire songs draws a picture of a free spirit mingling from one idea to the next in a very flexible manner. The only way to really categorize this group is as “different”, in the broadest sense possible within the bounds of metal genres, in spite of the fact that the band successfully maintains an aroma of consistency from one album to the next.

Within the bands growing catalog, “The Incurable Tragedy” stands as one of the most musically ironic offerings to be put out. Despite all of the dark and somber lyrical content of a terminally ill man, which was inspired by a series of similar situations witnessed by guitarist and songwriter Tim Roth in his personal life, this album listens like a angst driven hybrid of Judas Priest and newer Nevermore. Although some might attribute this description to the previous album, on here these elements are exaggerated to the point that vocally, at times, it is difficult to attach the melodic death label to it. Particularly noteworthy is the pummeling speed bruiser “Tides Of Blood” and the somewhat groovier but vocally busy “Indignation”. It is difficult to ascertain just how many blood vessels ruptured in Stu Block’s head while producing these high notes, but it probably would have been enough to induce a stutter in most ordinary human beings.

But withal the vocal gymnastics and the really busy riffing and stylistic shifts, one constant quirk that pervades this entire album is the band’s stubborn commitment to keeping things catchy. Along with the two previously mentioned songs, pretty much every non-interlude found on this concept album possesses a magnificent chorus section that commands instant recognition, almost like an artificially induced déjà vu. Anyone who has heard “The Scattering Of Ashes” will catch themselves scanning through that album again to find out where the band lifted those strangely familiar fanfare sections heard on “Time Immemorial” and “Diagnosis Terminal”, despite the fact that no self-plagiarism has occurred here. Perhaps the only exception to this rule is “A Black Light Ending”, where the band fully embraces the Nevermore tendencies and essentially plows through a freeform though highly melodic variant on those chunky, groove-happy, vocally all over the place songs heard on “This Godless Endeavor”.

The one weak link in this otherwise highly enjoyable chain of melodic crushers is the overall pacing of the album, which goes through its own variant on the same issue that plagued Manowar’s “Gods Of War”. Although not overtly offensive, the band’s constant referencing of Fates Warning’s brand of acoustic interludes and gloomy symphonic sections drags down a really hard edged mixture of old school meets extreme metal. Literally in the midst of a solid series of head smashing goodness the band’s somewhat introspective sense of progressive balladry in “The Incurable Tragedy” title song in 3 parts puts the brakes on everything. Individually, these 2 minutes or so intercessions are well accomplished, but when treating this as a concept album and listening to it from beginning to end, it seems a bit unnecessary.

In terms of past efforts, this is a worthy release that should probably keep the band’s established audience pleased. It has less of a pop-like nature to it than “The Scattering Of Ashes”, and Stu Block is definitely exploiting his phenomenal vocal abilities a lot more, but it doesn’t quite have the same somber charm to it musically that “Buried In Oblivion” did. It gets trashed primarily for being musically in the melodic death realm, though not conforming to it vocally, as well as for incorporating a power metal-like nature to its choruses, but it is still a safe bet that most who liked the previous album will like this one, regardless of the noticeable development in style present here.

Originally submitted to (www.metal-observer.com) on July 29, 2010.

A Captivating Blend Of Metal Subgenres... - 75%

TopherGagnon, July 18th, 2009

Into Eternity are a progressive death metal band who are praised and renowned in the underground metal cult as being a talented group of technically advanced musicians who effectively generate catchy yet brutal songs by incorporating a captivating blend of metal subgenres into their music.

'The Incurable Tragedy' is Into Eternity's fifth full-length album which was released during late 2008 via Century Media Records. It is the band's first attempt at a concept album; one that focuses on the struggles of a man who is diagnosed with the terminal illness of cancer. The album's concept was inspired by the deaths of several people close to the heart of lead guitarist Tim Roth and the lyrics which he wrote for the album are both thought-provoking and emotionally-gripping and provide meaningful words to go along with the great vocal melodies and harmonies within the album's twelve tracks!

The album itself clocks in at approximately forty minutes and never has the listener becoming bored or underwhelmed. This is probably due to the immense variety of metal subgenres effectively composed within the album's diverse track list. A brief description of Into Eternity's unique and fascinating fusion of sound would include the endless abilities of vocalist Stu Block which range from his soaring, power metal falsetto to his black metal shrieks and cookie-monster growls; the powerful, catchy thrash riffs and licks of guitarists Tim Roth and Justin Bender; as well as the precise and technically intricate playing of the rhythm-section which consists of the fast-tempoed, death metal drumming of Steve Bolognese and the air-tight, groove-oriented bass slaps of bassist Troy Bleich. Since all of these musically intricate attributes may leave a typical listener overwhelmed, I do recommend several listens before generating a full opinion of the album so that one can uncover the numerous quirks and surprises within the disc.

As far as the production quality goes, the album is both well mixed and mastered as are most present-day albums thanks to the endless abilities of simplistic yet technologically-advanced software such as ProTools. Thankfully, the drums sound much less dry and clicky than the infamous bass-drum triggers and generic cymbal hits overloaded on Into Eternity's previous release, 'The Scattering of Ashes'. This is drummer Steve Bolognese's first recording with Into Eternity and his beats are both dynamic and unique; his ability to play such difficult arrangements at mind-blazingly high tempos is astounding on prominent tracks such as 'One Funeral Hymn For Three' and 'Time Immemorial'. Vocalist Stu Block gives outstanding vocal performances in terms of delivery and tone on tracks such as 'Diagnosis Terminal' and the emotionally-gripping trio of power ballads known by the same name as the album. The vocal harmonies presented on those previously-mentioned tracks are excellent as well. The guitar riffs and bass lines on the album are both memorable and technically-advanced on songs like 'Spent Years of Regret' and 'Symptoms', and the solos and melodies are played precisely at breakneck speed.

So as you can see, the quintet of Into Eternity is one filled with undeniable talent and potential who always seek to impress the intended audience with their rare abilities and creative juices; for the better or the worse. As far as negativity goes, I feel as though sometimes the band's main objective is to showcase their talent and that certainly isn't the formula for creating a classic song. Sure, technicality and speed is obviously appealing in the realm of heavy metal; but sometimes trying overly hard results in lackluster filler songs consisting of repetitive and bland shred and blast beats that ineffectively convey the intended message and theme and instead serve as tracks who befriend the skip button on one's stereo or I-Pod such as 'Tides of Blood' and 'A Black Light Ending'.

Overall, 'The Incurable Tragedy' is a solid album by Into Eternity which creatively blends a unique style of metal subgenres and showcases the true potential of the talented Into Eternity if they were to focus less on demonstrating their chops and more on effective songwriting and composition.

Mix-n-match, much? - 84%

PhillCantu93, July 2nd, 2009

Into Eternity; one of the few bands that can actually mix different styles of music that are completely discrepant of each other and still sound good, also take note they hail from the land where death metal virtuosos Cryptopsy arose from (which may explain their awesomeness).

This album had some very good material on it. I especially enjoyed songs like "Diagnosis Terminal", "Symptoms" and (my personal favorite) "Time Immemorial". The three passage tracks (all of which are self-titled) are very touching and can really get you into the feeling of the album. Vocalist Stu Block gives off a very powerful performance on this album, utilizing his trademark combination of just about every vocal style in the book (with the exception of pig-squeals, but those never sound good to begin with). I also liked how the band finally found a second guitar player, which is something I'm quite picky about, not to drown out the bass, but I honestly feel two guitarists create more space for creativity than one, and it shows on this album quite well. Steve Bolognese is also a notable aspect to the sound of this album, as his drumming is both technical and sets the stage for the songs quite well.

If there are any major complaints I had about this album, it'd be that who ever mixed the instrument tracks here needs to be shot. The drums, albeit being good, are quite bare and mundane sounding. Some may have complained about the clicky-sound of the drums on Into Eternity's previous album, but the way these drums were done is like turning the shower from burning hot to antarctic cold; too extreme a change. I'm also a bit skeptical about Into Eternity's abuse of tempo-changes on this album. I'll be the first to admit, they were done quite well on the previous albums, but I guess this sort of has to do with the bad mixing of the instruments.

All in all, this album is excellent progressive/melodeath material despite a few hiccups in the mixing, engineering and mastering departments. You can expect this in my CD collection.

Overall, it's Pretty 'Meh' - 59%

MetalHeadNorm, June 30th, 2009

This review was written originally for http://www.MetalNeverLies.com

Into Eternity has always been quite an interesting band, for me at least. I've read mixed reviews about their newest release – The Incurable Tragedy (2008) – and honestly I didn't know what to believe. I had to give it a listen for myself. If you've read any other reviews for this Album, you probably noticed that it has quite a bad reputation. I'm here to try to cut through to the music and give this album a fair and proper review like it deserves.

You might be familiar with Into Eternity's earlier work, namely Dead or Dreaming and Buried in Oblivion. Well, the band has honestly fallen short again of these expectations. After listening to their last release, fans like myself were curious as to what their next album was going to sound like. To those of you who aren't familiar with Into Eternity's discography: The Scattering of Ashes was a release that broke their streak of completely awesome in every way albums, so it was interesting to see whether this album was going to be a comeback. Sadly, it isn't.

Well, once again the band starts with a short instrumental introduction for the album. “Prelude to Woe” actually does a great job at what it's suppose to do by setting a nice mood for the album. (It's a lot more interesting than the last intro track the band threw at us at least.) As “Tides of Blood” came on, it was time to see what this band was going to throw at us next. Well, the guitars are really fast as always, some tweedly tweedlies reminiscent of Buried in Oblivion, so I got excited. The drums are produced much better this time around, so I had high hopes by the time the first verse started. Here's where things get a little iffy. Stu... what the hell are you doing man? You're voice... it's so... annoying! I mean, any fan of the band knows that the vocal performances were always different and like really amazing sometimes. So... what's the deal here? There are times not only in “Tides of Blood”, but in the next song, and all throughout the album. My ears are telling me at multiple points of this CD to please turn it off. The vocals really distract you from appreciating the rest of the music. Well, “Symptoms” is an enjoyable track at least.

Another thing that bugged me about this album is track six. The first of three interlude type title tracks. It just doesn't fit at all. It's not really that enjoyable of a song to listen to either. Meh, “Indignation” started off good, but it quickly turned into my ears begging me to skip the track. It's actually not THAT bad, but the vocals here really just get on my nerves. Moving on to the second interlude. It's a little more interesting than the first one. Actually, this is one of the better moments of the album. The vocals on this track are really soothing and enjoyable compared to most of what I've just listened to. The guitar works reminds me of Black Sea of Agony or Surrounded by Night from past albums – both of which are songs that I really like. The keyboard usage adds just the right amount of atmosphere. Very enjoyable song. So, after that we're faced with “A Black Light Ending.” It's a pretty enjoyable song, but nothing special. The next track is the last chance for Into Eternity to redeem themselves: It's good, but not good enough to redeem them.

So, after one more interlude the album is over. I don't really feel anything. This is suppose to be a highly emotional album, giving the concept of loved onces dying to cancer. I don't feel it at all. Even that guitar which actually sounds really good in the last interlude doesn't do it for me. What a disappointing album. The Incurable Tragedy (2008) isn't really that bad of an album, but unless you are a die-hard fan of the band, it probably isn't worth your time spent listening to it.

My ten week old wheaton terrier is more metal. - 18%

DarkSideOfLucca, May 2nd, 2009

My sister passed away of cancer recently and I loved her more than almost anyone. That being said, I don't connect with this emotionally on any level at all. I don't even know if I would consider this shit metal. Yes, it has some growls and shitty 'melodic death' riffs and solos, but it takes a little bit more than that to convince me that this is metal.

Buried In Oblivion was emotional, it was metal, and showed musical technicality without being obnoxious and showing off (I'm looking at you, Necrophagist). But I'm not here to review Buried In Oblivion, I just wanted to point out that i did at one point respect Into Eternity as a band. For such a heavy subject, the lyrical content was treated in an extraordinarily immature fashion. Lyrics in music is supposed to be like poetry: this is most certainly NOT poetry. "Spent years of regret, Just waiting for an end, Depleted and winded, Numerous times regretting." Pardon me, were those supposed to be lyrics? I wonder what the fuck they were thinking as they were writing this down. My guess is, they were trying to see what shit they could get away with writing because it is based on a 'heavy subject.'

Block's vocals are not power metal. They used to be, but surprisingly enough this new range of his makes him sound much more like an emo singer who is influenced by melodic death metal. For Instance, all three title tracks are not metal ballads, or soft tracks, but instead emo songs. Yes, it iis about something more serious than most emo songs, but other than that, everything else in these songs are without a doubt emo. Block's high pitched vocals, emo vocals, irritating scratchy high pitch scream, and growls just do not work together all together on one song, and he over uses all four styles on almost every song there is on The Incurable Tragedy.

Roth and Bender's guitar work is the only reason why this atrocity of an album has scored any points at all. The reason why they have only scored an 18% is because after a while they do get a little bit repetitive and most of the solos, while at first fitting, become tiresome. Bolognose doesn't really have direction or order at all and Bleich just follows the guitars for the most part, so there's not much to say about him.

This band is labeled as Progressive Melodic Death Metal. I could see the melodic death metal, but progressive you say? I listen to a lot of progressive metal (and death metal as well mostly, but that's not the point), and let me tell you, sir, this is in no way shape or form progressive. Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, Opeth, Cynic, Symphony X: now those, my friends, are progressive metal bands. Into Eternity's music does not progress at all. There is absolutely nothing progressive about them, be it the lyrics, vocals, guitars, song structure, etc.

Basically, other than a few interesting guitar parts ("A Black Light Ending") there is really nothing at all that I can say I like about this album. Into Eternity has gone emo on us with some melodic death metal thrown in there. But are those very few interesting moments really worth your time? This is not worth your twelve dollars, or however much CD's cost around you. Save up for something more important.

Highlights: Random bits of good guitar work, probably most apparent in "A Black Light Ending"

Truly Disappointing - 30%

invaded, March 2nd, 2009

This has to have been a rushed album. There is no other way to lose so much ground between releases. The Scattering of Ashes was good. The band had incorporated seemingly ever metal genre ever into a pretty tightly produced little package and I for one thought it was pretty good. The band had chops, riffs and hooks, so I was looking forward to this. Holy shit was I disappointed when I heard this pile of crap.

Stu Block is a talented vocalist. Few in metal can match his ridiculous range of dog whistels to death metal bark, but here the falsetto is ridiculous and not pleasurable to listen to. The melodies he's singing, or the parts that he's screaming just aren't very memorable or great. SOA had catchy and memorable vocal parts but here there are only a few songs where that's the case. As for the riffs, once again there isn't much personality going on here. Tremolo picking, check, sweeps and other fancy fretwork, check, memorable riffs and truly rocking parts, uh... not so much.

I understand where this record is coming from, the death of many people close to the band all related to cancer. However I was expecting more anger, more grit to this album. I guess their heads must have been somewhere else during the making of The Incurable Tragedy because this all seems rushed and unfocused.

The only tracks that really are enjoyable on here are the singles(now you KNOW that's a bad sign!). "Diagnosis Terminal" and "Time Immemorial" are the two standout tracks by far. These sound like they could have been on SOA or BIO, truly focused and memorable melodies driven by awesome riffs. That is what this record should have been about.

I hope this is merely a bad pit stop for this band because they have potential, you just wouldn't know it from this truly forgetful offering.

This was a concept album? - 65%

metal_militant, February 5th, 2009

A loved one's death is the worst pain one can feel. Some cry the pain out, others keep it inside so they can use it later for other vindictive purposes. Fewer still can't survive it. And a select handful depict it in art. That is exactly what vocalist/guitarist Tim Roth decided to do after having lost two of his best friends and his father to cancer. Hence, 'The Incurable Tragedy' is Into Eternity's 1st concept album.

One would expect that the grief of loss would have culminated into a very emotional strain of music. This however,is not that case. Barring the 3 title track parts, the rest of this album is basically filled with the relentless speed and aggression that Into Eternity is famous for. Musically its sort of a combination of the 'Buried in Oblivion' and 'The Scattering of Ashes' sounds.There is a marked increase in technical focus on the album but not up to the same level as 'Buried in Oblivion'; at the same time, the melodic aspect has also been maintained à la 'The Scattering of Ashes'. The bass licks on this album also have a marked Jazz influence on them. New drummer Steve Bolognese continues where Jim Austin left off in terms of the blast beats and double bass batteries. However, the vocals have just got a tad irritating. Stu Block has realized he can go higher pitched than he went earlier and that results in a very irritating, buzzing sensation in your ears. Personally,I would prefer it if he did not decide to exploit this talent of his.

Emotionally,this album fails to deliver. The speed and aggression on most of the songs just make the whole feel of it very casual. They never strike you as songs about someone diagnosed with cancer and his feeling of helplessness. But where these tracks fail, the 3 'Incurable Tragedies' make up for them. With the use of orchestral atmospheres and ballad-esque singing, these songs are the perfect representation of helplessness and sadness, especially the last one (an instrumental). The dates mentioned with each song are the dates on which Tim Roth lost each loved one to cancer.

Overall, one can hardly tell that this album is a concept album (save for the beginning and ending heartbeats and the sound of an ECG going dead). Personally,I don't think Into Eternity should have ventured into this terrain which already has masters like Iced Earth and Amaseffer walking it. If you are a fan of fast and heavy music, go for this album. But for fans of great storytelling, you are not missing out on anything.

The Incurable Album - 30%

megilloth, December 15th, 2008

I remember the very first time I was introduced to Into Eternity. I was looking for some melodic death metal when the store owner told me that I should get The Scattering Of Ashes. I asked him to play something by them for me, but he did not have a sampler. So, he told me If I bought it and if I didn’t like it I could return it and be given my money back, therefore I went ahead and bought it.

Having found out that they were from Canada, I wondered to myself what kind of "melodic death metal" they would play. To make my story short I was simply blown away. Now, I wouldn’t necessarily call IE a melodic death band but the aggressiveness, speed and melody continuously changing throughout the songs, clearly showed the band’s skilled musicianship and interest in offering something different within a genre that overly saturated with unoriginality.

After getting all of their previous releases it only showed that the band was getting better and better.

With The Incurable Tragedy, it is not I that was expecting Buried In Oblivion again, but I was expecting to hear the intensity and “thoughtfulness” that characterizes IE on their releases.

The cd starts off with an unnecessary intro and once the second track starts the fast drumming and loud aggressive guitar sounds fill the air. The beginning is quite good but that’s about it. The rest of the song goes on with the same sound and somewhat annoying choruses. Right about the 20th second into the second song you have already heard all there is to it, and all you can do is wait for it to end and for the next song to bring a soothing change to the same, almost changeless rhythm.

While waiting for the next song, the music fades out into background simply as noise. Then, finally the song is over, the sweet melody of the next song playing draws your attention back to what you were supposed to be listening to. But then, wait.... this is the 6th track already, what happened to the other songs? Was on the “shuffle” mode? No! 5 songs have actually already been played!!

Right after the 6th song, the album returns to its previous sound leaving you wondering whether IE really meant to release an album or if they were just fulfilling a contract.

So overall this is a cd you would like to have for your collection’s sake only, and that’s if you are a hardcore IE fan, otherwise do not waste your money or time with The Incurable Tragedy.

The Incurable Tragedy--FUCK CANCER! - 92%

kboose, September 5th, 2008

"FUCK CANCER!"

That was my introduction to this album. I saw Into Eternity live opening for Symphony X and Epica, and as they introduced their song "Diagnosis Terminal", Stu described the horrors of cancer and its effect on Tim Roth and many others. He concluded with the line "FUCK CANCER!", got the crowd to chant it with him, and then got into the song.

Needless to say, that song is one of the few that really got me into these guys. Ever since then, I've been anxiously waiting for this album. Finally, I got my pre-order in the mail a few days ago (with a cool shirt) and looked through the booklet. Needless to say, under Stu's comments, the words "FUCK CANCER" were bolded with many exclamation points. This line seems to have become the band's little motto of sorts, with them using it at virtually every show while they are promoting this album.

Now, onto the album. Musically, it's similar to The Scattering of Ashes, without the drum production problems that many complained about--so basically, the production is flawless (although I would have like to have had the bass a bit higher in the mix). Stu is back to his death growl/shriek falsetto ways. This works excellently on some songs (Time Immemorial), but sometimes he goes overboard on the falsetto to the point where it gets painful (part of the first verse in "Indignation" is the absolute worst offender, as well as a bit of "Tides of Blood"). The choruses are just as catchy--if not catchier--than those on their last album, with "Diagnosis Terminal" being the one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.

One note: "Symptoms" is pointless. It goes nowhere and is really short.

The "Incurable Tragedy" tracks are all slow pieces with just a piano, vocals, and guitars (the last is an instrumental). These all have great atmosphere and are excellent, especially the last one as it closes the album on a very emotional note. (It is pretty cool to listen to all three of these consecutively). With that said, this really isn't a concept album. The tracks are only connected by lyrical theme, and even that is a bit of a stretch (the lyrics are really basic and emo, as expected for Into Eternity). This is nowhere near as gripping as a concept album should be (Ayreon's "The Human Equation" is an excellent example of how the lyrics AND the music should be connected). If anything, this is a theme album focused on the feelings and emotions Tim experienced through the loss of his closest friends and his father. A concept generally focuses on a plot of sorts and has some logical flow (i.e., the songs flow into each other), and this album doesn't have much of that.

As for individual performances, although a bit simple on some parts, everyone is top-notch. The riffs aren't nearly as gripping as those on Buried in Oblivion, but doing that is much easier said than done. The solos are pretty nice. In general, they stick to the same basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus structure, but occasionally (Tides of Blood, with a solo first), they'll do things differently.

This album is recommended to any Into Eternity fan. New fans would be better off starting with Buried in Oblivion, and then coming to this or The Scattering of Ashes. In terms of quality, this is on par with TSoA, which in my mind is a great album. This should have been longer (38 minutes for a concept album, wtf?), but it is still a great album. I look forward to seeing these guys again this year with Iced Earth. Into Eternity is excellent live and definitely worth seeing. FUCK CANCER!!!!!

Top tracks: Tides of Blood; Diagnosis Terminal (best track in my opinion); Time Immemorial; A Black Light Ending; The Incurable Tragedy Parts I-III

Mixed Bag - 68%

MTDOOMIVXX, August 25th, 2008

First of all if you're looking for "Buried In Oblivion" part 2 you're going to be disappointed. There will never be another one like it, because the great Rob Doherty left the band and the new guitarist just doesn't live up to the bar that Doherty set. Ex-vocalist Chris Krall also had alot to do with success of that album, because his songwriting skills don't resemble that of a pissed off 13 year old just writing his thoughts down.

The Incurable Tragedy has alot of potential, but there are some things missing. The guitar work just isn't as technical as some of the previous releases. It's just downright fucking repetitive sometimes, there's three to four different riffs on every song. Sometimes it's not a problem as Tim Roth is a damn good guitarist and he can come with some excellent riffs. It just seems like he half-assed his song writing on this one.

A great thing about this album is the drum production. The last album had plenty of complaints about that. This time around they fixed it, the double bass doesn't overpower the rest of the band. This was probably the biggest improvement from the last album as many people, including myself sometimes, thought the tick...tick...tick was annoying.

The lyric writing is probably the worst thing about this album. I usually don't care at all about lyrics, but it just gets ridiculous on this album sometimes, which is another reason some people have stopped listening to this band. Their lyrics were once about religion, death, depression, etc. But on this album and "Scattering of Ashes" all I can think about is the word EMO when I hear the lyrics.

All and all this is album is just one big fucking mixed bag. They've improved the things that everyone wanted them to from the last album, except for the bullshit lyric writing. This is probably the most simple album IE has ever done. I just feel like they rushed this album a bit, it could have been alot better.

Highlights: Tides of Blood, Spent Years of Regret, Black Light Ending

... IV (August 25, 2008): This album was released - 22%

Dexter, August 24th, 2008

Into Eternity, a band that really caught my attention with The Scattering Of Ashes, now has released a new album. What I am about to tell you about this album is impossible to be put in words. I will try my best to be as clear as possible.

The album got leaked some weeks ago, so I decided to give it a listen to see how it was, I did not have great expectations because I was not into the band that much, but, being their previous album very enjoyable in my opinion, I had to give it a try. So ok, I added it to my Winamp playlist and pushed play. I was doing some other things while the album was played. When I happened to maximize Winamp again to check what song I was listening to, the player was already at the middle of the album. Unbelievable: SIX songs had passed in what felt like 30 seconds. I kid you not, I could not recognize any differences in the songs. I figured out why then: every fucking song is made of random parts. This can be explained in a friend’s words: “This sounds like a teaser, not an album”, and I shall add: they made an album out of teaser. Do not expect anything else, every song is just a 3 or 4 minute teaser.

As the songs pass by, I can’t really spot anything of interest, except maybe one thing: some choruses. Almost every chorus is as catchy as in The Scattering Of Ashes, but one still must survive the rest of the song to get there and that’s just too much suffering for only some bars of something decent. The only song I like a little is Diagnoses Terminal, though it has those glitches on which you think to yourself “Is this another song?” and a TOTALLY annoying pitch-shift during the chorus, which is just retarded. And then the slow, melodramatic-wannabe songs. Argh… these are just really pointless, expect stupid things like: heart-beats, cheesy lyrics (there are better ways to express your grief for your friends and parents dying of cancer), over-high vocals, pulse beeps, etc.

About each member of the band, there is not much to say. Everyone sucked hard on this one. Stu Block (the singer) is singing horribly, he won’t stop overusing high-pitch vocals and his vocals are just not as energetic as before. The guitar riffs are just things someone who just started playing the guitar can compose, and his vocals are not bad, but usually misplaced. Oh yeah, and he is STILL playing those horrible, fast solos (the same ones that fuck up many songs on The Scattering Of Ashes – despite being the rest of those songs good contrary to what happens in this album). The drummer is very VERY boring, I think he tried to copy the previous drummer (the one on The Scattering Of Ashes) and just sucked in his effort. And the bass player just follows the guitar riffs…

Last, I want to denote some things about certain songs:
- The song “Symptoms” is just an insult. The intro riffs and drum fills are just a cheap copy of Decapitated’s Three-dimensional Defect and an intent of being like Meshuggah, very sad.
- I don’t know what the fuck track 4 was, pure crap. Same with track 9, and, as expected with the 3rd part of this AMUSING (not) trilogy, track 12 (there we get the miss-pitched pulse beeps. They don’t even sound like those hospital machines that monitor heart-beats, and some one please let them now that when someone’s heart is stopping the machine goes through some rapid beeping before giving the final long beep until the machine is shut down).
- Track 10 is another song full of crap with a lot of metalcore cheap riffs, those one can write when one is 12-years old living in the late 90s and early 2000s and has just learned about the Drop-tunings

Final note: this is a concept album. The guitarist’s father and two of his friends died of cancer, I'm sorry for him but do expect the lyrics to be really simple and easy. They didn’t even try to make them poetic or metaphorical. They sound like written by an angry emo kid.
Seriously, avoid this.

Good Formula - 85%

ConquerTheBaphomet, August 16th, 2008

Into Eternity has always been quite the gem out of Canada. With the vast array of quality Metal coming from our northern neighbors, it's no surprise that they would release another quality album.

Stu Brock has confidently filled that vocalist spot since the departure of Chris Krall. Krall wasn't the highlight of the band but he contributed quite a bit to the songwriting that made Buried In Oblivion so great. In fact, since the key departures of Krall and guitarist Rob Doherty, Into Eternity will never again make another Buried In Oblivion.

Fortunately, they don't need to. The Scattering of Ashes and The Incurable Tragedy both stand on their own. Stu Brock has given this band a different dynamic that I believe they were pushing for on previous albums but never achieved it until Brock entered the fold. His clean vocals on this album are ever soaring and more powerful than on The Scattering of Ashes. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit more clean/high vocals than the harsh vocals supplied by both Brock and guitarist Tim Roth. The choruses are more powerful and dang catchy if I might add.

The riffs once again are great. I particularly love the acoustic interludes. It adds a great touch to the overall theme and musicianship of the album. I personally don't think anything Tim Roth is rehashed or stagnant. There is a lot more progression in the guitar work and that is definitely fine by me.

Another crucial quality for me on this album is the drum production. The Scattering of Ashes' drum production was way too much. The kick drums were ridiculously loud. On The Incurable Tragedy, they fixed that problem and the drums finally mesh well with everything else.

The overall darkness of this album is easily seen when put into perspective with the personal losses in Tim Roth's life. My complaint though is that the lyrics (once again) are pathetically weak and full of melodrama. The lyrics are the main reason why this album is being scored an 85. It's like they were written by an angsty 15 year old.

If you're looking for another Buried In Oblivion, you won't find it here but regardless this album is definitely another crusher in their discography.

Highlight songs: