© 2002-2021

This band needs to release another album - 90%

broomybroomybroomy, November 10th, 2011

The first track I heard on this album, "Lust to Devour," immediately got me hooked on this band. The opening riff was a perfect mix of melody and brutality. I had to listen to the song about four or five times in a row before I skipped to a different track, and the band continued to impress me. These guys write the kind of fresh, creative riffs that get stuck in your head for days. I have been headbanging in my office to seemingly nothing and my coworkers probably think I'm crazy.

It don't think I've ever heard a bad metal band from Australia and Infinitum is no exception. I'm beginning to think that we need MORE metal from Australia.

Their music is reminiscent of earlier Suffocation albums. The songs are technical and brutal, yet have some moments of melody. Nothing is predictable, and the songs almost always go in the right direction at the right times. A lot of technical death metal bands try to squeeze in as many guitar scales and arpeggios in a song as they can, without much structure in the songs themselves. Not this band. Every song is easily distinguishable and was obviously carefully written. The vocals are, in my opinion, what all death metal vocals should be. It's not the haphazard babbling or monotonous grunting that tends to ruin some death metal for me. The vocals add to the brutality and they have a place with the music. Try listening to this CD with some powerful sub woofers; the production is awesome. If I had one complaint about this album, it's that I would like to see some infrequent experimentation. Although I would say that this album could use a little more, I don't think anything should be removed.

In fact, this album is so good that I could show it to a non-metal listener and expect him or her to be impressed and/or start a pit. This is the kind of music that should turn kids away from deathcore, metalcore, and mallcore.

In conclusion, this album is one of my favorites and I have been inspired to check out the other bands of the members. This CD is a must own.

Recommended tracks: "The Anomaly Breeds," "Lust to Devour," and "Inward Outlook."