© 2002-2021

Infernal Execrator - Antichrist Execration - 60%

ThrashManiacAYD, September 3rd, 2009

Infernal Execrator were a band I had never heard of when choosing to review their new EP "Antichrist Execration", which perhaps is unsurprising as they are a pretty new (formed in 2005) Black/Death band from Singapore. "Antichrist Execration" is officially the band's first EP and given the band's stature and location, where some really quite extreme and rough sounding records have emerged from in the past, is surprisingly well produced and played. The 24 minutes of the EP whiz past at a pretty fast speed, drawing influences from Marduk and fellow Singaporeans Impiety in the song structures and compositions and a very much Abbath-influenced croaky vocal style. While nothing on here is terribly new or original it is played with a certain conviction with nice lead riffs that play on the rhythmic ones in the likes of "Armageddon Bestial Battle". The leading guitar throughout bears the thin and high-pitched sound commonly associated with a lot of 'blasphemous' BM that really goes all the way back to the Norwegians of the early '90s. "Antichrist Execration" is also notable for actually bearing an audible bass which surely must have pleased (current) bass player Kommando Antichristo (yes) as all BM one could care to mention seems to suffer the same final mixing problems - that the producer/mixer forgets to include the bass tracks. A problem I believe a few carefully placed post-it notes in the mixing studio would quickly, and cheaply, alleviate.

"Final Blasphemy" hammers away at a slightly slower speed than the other tracks with just enough song-writing panache to entertain the listener and the closing cover of the grimly monikered Impiety track "Sodomythical Frostgoats" not only shows off a clear influencer to this small band but also injects a punkier edge to the EP, which is strange as I've never heard that in Impiety before. Given the sheer amount of BM bands all over the world these days all showing off their efforts at being grim and evil, "Antichrist Execration" won't cause much of a splash in anyone's pool but Infernal Execrator are rewarded with points for doing it with more finesse than the majority of others out there, but will however will need to continue to work and refine their style to gain an international following outside the most underground of BM elitists.

Originally written for Rockfreaks.net

Brutal but already quite mature - 80%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, February 10th, 2009

Hailing from Singapore, here we go with another brutal black/death band: Infernal Execrator. This band is a part of a big group that incredibly loves bands like Angelcorpse or Blasphemy, like also the far more famous (in this field) Impiety, always from Singapore. The style by this band is direct, without mercy and full of anger, like also the lyrics against Christianity. After a demo that came out in 2005, here we have the first EP in their career: Antichristian Execration. Here we have just 23 minutes of brutal music with six songs six, full of that primitive bestiality, supported by a raw production.

And, unfortunately, this raw production isn’t able to exalt the drums and the great work done by the drummer during the long blast beats and the hyper fast bass drums restarts. “Massacre of the Evangelists” has a quite dark oriented introduction with slow arpeggios and the screamed vocals to support a quite gloomy and desecrating atmosphere. Soon after, the fury is unleashed through sudden and long blast beats. The riffs are both in tremolo, to support the blacker touches, and on fast open technique too, to support the most death/thrash moments. “Antichrist Execration” is not different from what we’ve heard on the previous song, so prepare for long blast beats sections and more, impulsive black/death.

The more mid-paced parts are remarkable though, because they let the solos enter and sometimes they are a bit more melodic even if this statement could be quite hazardous. They are always very fast but the atmosphere changes a bit. “Armageddon Bestial Battle” features more of those apocalyptic atmospheres and the structure is quite various. There are few quite canonical thrash/death sections, especially on the calmer parts but everything remains on impulsive and truly fast patterns. However, the variety of the structures is a thing to appreciate, even if the style is always brutal. So, I’d like to mark out the quite dark beginning to “Final Blasphemy (Ultimate Irreverent)” and its various breaks.

“Pure Genocidal Apocalypse” is definitely faster with long blast beats sections with strong influences from the first two Angelcorpse albums. To put an end to this mini-CD, we find a tribute to Impiety with the song “Sodomythical Frostgoats”, originally written for Skullfucking Armageddon album (1999). The black and death elements clashes perfectly even if few moments let the more punk/thrash/black style emerge to give a hint of variety and it’s good like this. All things considered, I think this band is already quite mature for the genre here done and I hope they’ll come out with a new album. Just a suggestion: give more power to the drums in order to create an even bigger impact. The rest is already good.