© 2002-2022

Incantation > Thieves of the Cloth > Reviews
Incantation - Thieves of the Cloth

Only One Thief; the Other One Lost the Way - 50%

Petrus_Steele, January 3rd, 2021
Written based on this version: 2006, 7" vinyl, Ibex Moon Records (Limited edition, Colored vinyl)

Recorded in 2004, this single includes Exiling Righteousness (even though the song is available as a bonus song in certain Decimate Christendom releases), and the titular Thieves of the Cloth. These two are outtakes regardless, but I would prefer to just have the latter as a second bonus song. They did the same with the following record Primordial Domination, and only in 2010 they released a single comprising two outtakes from that record.

With my negative feelings towards Decimate Christendom, I’m not surprised in the slightest of how Exiling Righteousness sounds. It’s as long as Incantation would mainly like to record, above five minutes. You get some nice riffs and a guitar solo, some slow death growls, and the drums as usual. Then again, that’s something I’ve already heard. It’s nothing new. It’s still nothing they can beat. As for the main subject here, I can see why Thieves of the Cloth deserves its own release.

Being rawer than the record in which they recorded for (supposedly), it’s short and heavy. The raw production adds another edge to John’s death growls, with the drums and guitar making the song sound like it belongs on Onward to Golgotha. Simply everything on it sounds like what a form of return to roots could’ve been, in addition to John’s vocal debut. This song is what Decimate Christendom should’ve sounded like, decimating, and raw.

A short incantation. - 100%

Edward K, November 7th, 2013

I'm surprised no one has written a review for this because although this is a really short recording, it's of a really high quality. The first offering just kicks you right in the ear with Incantation's well known brand of old school death metal, and doesn't stop until it's all over a measly 8 minutes later.

I think we all know what Incantation sounds like for the most part, but to be specific to the recording, I'll break it down. The vocals are low and evil sounding with the occasional higher growl, the guitars just never seem to stop putting forth catchy, fast and fuzz drenched riffs, and the drums are tight, aggressive and fast. The pace on the single is mostly fast, but as usual the band is not shy about slowing things down to create an otherworldly heavy sound.

The production on this album isn't of the best quality, which in my opinion makes it sound older and darker...as in better. That being said, everything falls into place perfectly because everything is mixed in very well. The vocals are right there in the center and don't become overpowering at any moment. I sometimes wish that a lot of death metal bands would release "albums" like this that are shorter and to the point and not an hour of straight death metal, because no matter how brutal it is, it gets tiring to get through it all sometimes. Not here though. Perfect.