Crouching Swede, Hidden Orgasm - 100%

kwentzell, October 22nd, 2008

At a first glance, it's not hard to see that these guys have a huge amount of creativity, influence, and musicianship. I won't start off by naming other bands that "sort of" sound like them, because they portray the core evolution that pushes metal to a greater variance of sound. A sound that is their own, they put an amazing variety of progressive, gloom, death together with very catchy, yet somehow non-repetitive unlike many bands that I would label "catchy". Somehow, In Mourning has created possibly the best debut album I've ever heard, not to mention one of my favorite albums out of thousands of albums I've heard.

Any fan of death, gloom, progressive, or merely metal at all will surely like, if not hump this album. The album has flawless production, to the point where you can hear every instrument at the same time, all the time. The music itself displays complex time changes, uncommon progressions, little filler if any, amazing atmosphere, and unique buildup as well as release of emotion, just to name a few.

I could make a mile long list of strongpoints in this group's talent and song writing, but that's not the point of this review. The real point here is, I've heard a bunch of shitty albums this year, and this certainly is as far as possible from that level. If you love bands ahead of their time, here's my advice: buy album, listen to it, fap, and repeat.