Sigil of Baphomet - 70%

Storfeth, June 13th, 2013

Back in 1993 Imprecation released their first and only official work until their hiatus in 1998. But things have changed, they have been active again and since a few days ago their first full-length album was released, I decided to go back and check out this EP.

“Sigil of Baphomet” lasts only 12 minutes so there are not many things to say. The black and death metal elements are equally present here, in a way that brought to my mind the releases of Mystifier during the 90s. Both tracks start with some synth melodies in the forefront but they do not serve only as intros. They return pretty often while being interrupted by some really ferocious riffs that range from very fast and aggressive to mid tempo and muddy ones. Vocals don’t really deviate from this pattern since they accompany properly the music, with high-pitched and deep alternations where necessary. Even some talking can be heard at the start of “Vomit Floods of Christian Remains” and enhances the atmosphere of the album. The only negative aspect would be the production because I think that the bass was too loud and at times I struggled to distinguish the guitar riffs, especially during the fast parts.

With their debut EP Imprecation managed to create a very intense and haunting atmosphere because of the great synth compositions, but unfortunately the guitar ideas while decent were not something extraordinary. So although I enjoyed these 12 minutes, they were not something mind-blowing. Anyway, this release is worth checking out mostly for historical reasons and it won’t disappoint the fans of the old school sound.

Originally written for: The Lair of Storfeth